Essay PreviewMore ↓
When one returns home from work or school, the first thing he wants is relaxation. Some factors that can affect relaxation are sights, sounds, and feelings. To achieve the most relaxing environment at your home, you must have ideal weather conditions. Different weather can affect these factors. There is not a more relaxing atmosphere than a cozy house while a light thunderstorm passes overhead.
An oncoming thunderstorm should visibly change your atmosphere. One can look out the window and see the trees swaying easily in the wind. One should turn off all the lights as to sooth your sense of sight. The turning off of lights and the blocking of the sun by clouds will both darken your house making the perfect place to go rest or even nap. Some people may choose to light a fire in which case the flames would glow on all the walls.
A thunderstorm can produce some soothing sounds as it passes overhead. The light rain tapping at one’s window provides a comforting pattern for resting. The sound of thunder sounds like volleys of cannons being fired repeatedly in the distance. One knows the fire is hard at work by the crackling of the flames. One can hear the whistling wind sweeping the corners of your house repeatedly.
Along with the thunderstorm comes a lower temperature. All one wants to do is bury himself in his bed. The soft bed provides the most comfort and easiness for your body. The brisk warmth of the fire enwraps the body in comfort. The sounds uniform sounds of the thunderstorm calm your mind. All these feeling combined will bring restfulness upon oneself.
How to Cite this Page
"A Passing Thunderstorm." 123HelpMe.com. 25 Aug 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Following the extratropical transition of Typhoon Brenda on October 5, a mid-level subtropical ridge became centered over the northwestern Pacific, which resulted in an absence of the typical southwesterly monsoon flow typically seen during the autumn. Satellite imagery first detected an area of convection roughly 280 km (170 mi) southeast of Ponape on October 11. At 1200 UTC, the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) first identified the system.[nb 1] The next day, the storm 's outflow became better defined as the storm tracked west-northwest.... [tags: Tropical cyclone, Wind, Thunderstorm, Tornado]
706 words (2 pages)
- The concept of the uncanny can be a difficult one to comprehend; this is why Freud begins his essay with an analysis of the different definitions of the uncanny in various languages. Ultimately Freud rests that the German terms “heimlich” and “unheimlich” best match the definition of the uncanny because it is translated as familiar and unfamiliar. The uncanny can be defined as something that creates a feeling of familiarity but also unfamiliarity, and this unfamiliarity is what is fearful to the individual.... [tags: Nella Larsen, Passing]
1374 words (3.9 pages)
- The novel The Garies and their Friends is a realistic examination of the complex psychology of blacks who try to assimilate through miscegenation and crossing the color barrier by “passing as white.” Frank J. Webb critiques why blacks cannot pass as being white through the characters Mr. Winston and Clarence Jr. At the beginning of the novel, Mr. Winston is introduced as a slave who eventually was sold because his master died. Mr. Winston met up with Mr. Garie someone he used to work on a plantation.... [tags: Garies and their Friends, passing, racism, Frank J]
1268 words (3.6 pages)
- Human Relationships in Nella Larsen's Passing Works Cited Not Included The Harlem Renaissance was a turning point for many African Americans. A vast amount of literature was created specifically for this group during this era. For the first time, African Americans were being told that it was okay to be proud of who they were. This new consciousness and self-awareness was prominent in many works of literature, but several writers began exploring the darker side of this movement with literature that concentrated on the negative aspects of race relations in America.... [tags: Race Racism Larsen Passing Essays]
2913 words (8.3 pages)
- ... Supercell Thunderstorms can take place anywhere if under the correct climate conditions (Mallick, 2002). Discussion: All Supercell Thunderstorm features contain an Anvil, a Precipitation-free base; Wall Cloud, Mammatus Cloud, Forward Flank Downdraft, Rear Flank Downdraft, Vault and a Flanking Line (shown in figure 1.) Supercell Thunderstorms are classified by storm spotters by meteorologists into three classes. Although, not call thunderstorms fit perfectly into one grouping. The standard definitions are named as the Classic group.... [tags: windstorms and hailstones, precipitation ]
575 words (1.6 pages)
- Three Stages of Thunderstorm Formation The kind of thunderstorms that produce our summer rains are called ordinary thunderstorms, or air mass thunderstorms. They form when warm, humid air rises in an unstable atmosphere. Warm air cools down as it rises, and once it becomes colder than the air around it, it will begin to fall back down. In an unstable atmosphere, the temperature of the surrounding air decreases faster with height than the temperature of the rising warm air. This causes the warm, moist air to continually be warmer than the atmosphere, and continue rising to large heights.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
631 words (1.8 pages)
- Nella Larsen's Passing tells the story of the reconnection of two childhood friends whose lives take divergent paths. Through these characters Larsen weaves together a cautionary tale about the consequences of living a double life, and the harm associated with internalized racism. Through Clair and Irene, Larsen conveys to readers the consequences of desiring to live life as a bicultural individual during the early 20th century. Claire represents the archetypical character known as the tragic mulatto, as she brings tragedy to all those she encounters.... [tags: Literary Analysis, Nella Larsen]
2359 words (6.7 pages)
- With an earth-shattering roar, lightning cleaved through the sky and bit viciously into a towering tree. The massive conifer burst into vibrant flames; the only light in the wind-lashed forest. Torrents of rain poured on to it, causing gouts of steam to fill the air. The other trees moaned in the furious wind, as if they mourned the loss of their fellow. An unfortunate traveler slowly backed away from the tree he had been sheltering under. Raindrops the size of bullets and slabs of sleet slapped onto his back, but were immediately shaken off by his shivering.... [tags: Creative Writing Essays]
1436 words (4.1 pages)
- Passing Nella Larsen's novel, Passing, provides an example of some of the best writing the Harlem Renaissance has to offer. Nella Larsen was one of the most promising young writer's of her time. Though she only published two novels it is clear that she was one of the most important writers of the Harlem Renaissance movement. Her career as writer probably would have lasted longer, but she was accused of plagiarizing her short story, "Sanctuary." She was eventually cleared of any wrong doing, but the accusation deeply tarnished her reputation as writer.... [tags: Essays Papers]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- The Root of Jealousy In Nella Larsen’s Passing, Irene Redfield and Clare Kendry show us a great deal about race and sexuality in the 1920s. Both are extremely light-skinned women of African-American descent. However similar they appear to be, their views on race, a very controversial issue at the time, differ significantly. Clare chooses to use her physical appearance as an advantage in America’s racist and sexist society, leaving behind everything that connects her to her African-American identity.... [tags: essays research papers]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
The sights of a thunderstorm will relax your eyes. The sounds provide a consoling pattern to sooth your mind and provide a perfect atmosphere. Much of this relaxation depends on one’s home. A soft bed and pillows serves its purpose wonderfully. Because of this perfect balance of your senses, a passing thunderstorm provides a great environment to enjoy by taking rest.