Essay PreviewMore ↓
Windows NT Workstation 5.0 is now called Windows 2000 Professional
Windows NT Server 5.0 is now Windows 2000 Server
Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition becomes Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Plus there is a new offering: Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows 2000 Professional will be limited to support only two processors. Windows 2000
Server will be able to support up to four processors.
Windows 2000 Advanced Server will support up to eight processors.
And Windows 2000 Datacenter Server will support up to 32 processors and additional clustering functions.
It is recommended to have at least 64 MB RAM and 700- 900MB of disc space for Professional and even more for the other packages. For multi-processor configurations, 128MB of memory should be considered minimum.
Adobe had helped develop a new font called OpenType. That font builds Type 1 and TrueType capabilities into the OS.
The new “Find” command will allow the user to search for available printers on the network. You can specify search criteria to locate all the color printers on the network and then narrow the search by say, the tabloid-size color printer nearest you. Then, with a right click, the systen installs the printer driver, downloads a color management device profile automatically and you’re ready to print. It also has been revamped to now display graphical previews of found graphic images. It also offers a number of Internet-savvy features, uncluding live web links and Net searching.
It has a new color management system developed by Linotype-Hell to produce system wide color management that will also extend to Internet Explorer, so that on-line purchases will result in the color the customer expects.
Quark a former Mac-only product is now being ported for Windows.
The most obvious new feature of Windows 2000 is it’s so-called “intelligent menus”, which remember a user’s most-used selections. Thus, Windows 2000 learns to hide commands you don’t use often, although these hidden items can be seen by simply pausing at the Start Menu destination for a few seconds.
There is a brand new Device Manager that, combined with its plug and play hardware detection and large list of supported hardware, makes it a huge improvement over NT in overall hardware compatibility. New hardware supported it Windows 2000: Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP), DVD, FireWire (IEEE 1394), USB Devices, Advanced Configurable Power Interface (ACPI), Multiple monitors, etc.
“IntelliMirror” feature: the ability to automatically restore uninstalled drivers, deleted DLL’s, and other user settings, even if the user’s machine is replaced with a different one.
How to Cite this Page
"Windows 2000." 123HelpMe.com. 20 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Backing up Active Directory in Windows 2000 Generally speaking, the backup of mission critical data is the most important part of any IT engineer’s job. While recovering the missing data is important, additional consideration needs to be given to getting the network framework back up and running quickly so that employees can get back to work, saving the company the added cost of lost man-hours. We also need to ensure that the network structure that gets restored is one that the employees are use to using.... [tags: Computer programming Windows Directory]
1937 words (5.5 pages)
- Windows 2000 Professional Summary In this first part of class we covered the entire Windows 2000 Professional operating system. We covered everything that you would need to know to install, use and administer Windows 2000 Professional. All of the labs we did helped us further understand the Windows 2000 operating system. We did everything from installing Windows to encrypting files. I liked the labs where we had to set up user profiles and permissions. Philip was my partner for any labs that required a partner.... [tags: Essays]
4373 words (12.5 pages)
- Windows 2000 Windows NT Workstation 5.0 is now called Windows 2000 Professional Windows NT Server 5.0 is now Windows 2000 Server Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition becomes Windows 2000 Advanced Server Plus there is a new offering: Windows 2000 Datacenter Server Windows 2000 Professional will be limited to support only two processors. Windows 2000 Server will be able to support up to four processors. Windows 2000 Advanced Server will support up to eight processors. And Windows 2000 Datacenter Server will support up to 32 processors and additional clustering functions.... [tags: Free Essay Writer]
513 words (1.5 pages)
- Have you ever wondered where Microsoft will go next with Windows, well now it is time for you to find out. Microsoft has almost completed Windows 2000, which will be the new era for software around the world. In the last year computers have grow dramatically, with the new Pentium II chip and processors with the speeds up to 450MHZ. Almost every family home in America today has at least one personal computer. Whether it is for business or pleasure, more and more people are realizing the significance of computers.... [tags: essays research papers]
712 words (2 pages)
- Comparison of Windows 2000 and Knoppix Linux Boot Disk Introduction What is X Windows. The X Window System, often known as X, is a windowing system for graphics workstations developed at MIT with support from DEC, Indiana University (1997-2005). What is the Microsoft counterpart. Microsoft's Windows Graphic Device Interface or (GDI) performs the same functionality for Windows as X Windows does for UNIX or Linux operating systems. We begin the journey by separating out the Windows manager (KDM) from the X Windows (XFree86) on the Knoppix Linux disk.... [tags: Compare Contrast Technology Essays]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- Should this business update to Windows 2000 from Windows 98 for its office PCs. In the business world today, computers and the software applications that run on them basically control an well-organized business. Every major company is equipped with a computer, or network that connects through different branches throughout the firm. To keep up with the fastest technology that dominates the market is to be a sensible buyer. A system can be outdated in a matter of two years time. Therefore, it is necessary for the business to update to Windows 2000 from Windows 98 for its office PCs.... [tags: essays research papers]
472 words (1.3 pages)
- An Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Microsoft Windows, Windows Vista, Operating system]
2315 words (6.6 pages)
- Windows Networking How does DDNS replace WINS in Windows 2000 and later. DDNS replaces WINS by allowing DNS clients to update information in the DNS database files. IP Addresses and DNS records stay in synch so that you can use DNS and DHCP together seamlessly. WINS listens to NBT broadcasts and can not update IP Address information if the DHCP lease expires since the NBT broadcasts registers the machines IP Address with the WINS Server at boot up. NetBIOS is not routable which further complicates things.... [tags: Technology Networking Windows Report]
1897 words (5.4 pages)
- Comparison and Contrast Windows & Windows Me Pamela R Kerr NTC / 410 Richard Bohn June 22, 2005 Comparison and Contrast Windows & Windows Me This paper will identify comparison and contrast of Windows and Windows Me, which will include the program description, planning the scope and plan objectives, vocabulary definitions, project control, schedule of deliverables and resource requirements. When Windows first hit the market in 1985, it failed miserably.... [tags: essays research papers]
1126 words (3.2 pages)
- Windows NT The history of Windows NT: The history of Windows NT goes back to the early 80's, when Microsoft was working on the original Windows system to run on top of DOS. They joined forces with IBM in order to create a more powerful DOS replacement that would run on the Intel x86 platform. The resulting operating system was to be known as OS/2. At the same time OS/2 was being developed, Microsoft was busy working on a new OS, more powerful than the Windows system they already had.... [tags: Computers Technology Operating System]
1585 words (4.5 pages)
Dial-up Networking is very similar to the DUN in Win 98. Fax services are also provided, including fax logging, a fax queue and print to fax capabilities. The phone dialer has been enhanced with Video Phone and conferencing capabilities.
Win 2000 supports FAT32 or NTFS, however you must use FAT16 if you want to share local drives between Win9x, NT4 and Win2000. Fortunately, it is possible to set FAT32 on some drives and leave others as FAT16 or compressed FAT16.
This information is based on the features of the “Release Candidate 1” version of Windows 2000.