Essay PreviewMore ↓
Here we are close to the dawn of the millennium. An even 2000 years has passed since man has decided to start counting. That has to be significant, doesn't it? Conspiracy theorists, self- proclaimed prophets, and doomsayers can take this opportunity to spread rumors of world destruction or take ancient prophecies and interpret them to their liking.
Life must be getting boring or over stimulating for these folks. There are so many different groups spreading awareness in preparation for the millennium. One can obtain knowledge on this subject by contacting a group who call themselves TEOTWAWKI (an acronym for the end of the world as we know it), Armageddon, or on the countless Y2K websites.
There are many people involved in the frenzy surrounding Y2K. We have a Y2K coalition right here in Arkansas. The citizens of Harrison have formed a group called Y2K watch. Around one hundred people meet bimonthly to discuss strategies for getting through the millennium. They have even attracted outsiders. Jerry and Carolyn Head moved from a Dallas suburb to Harrison to escape the millennia madness. They have stocked up buying a generator, livestock, and hundreds of toilet paper rolls. They claim to just be “planners” and not part of the Y2K worriers in which "most of them are nuts".
Y2K,which stands for year 2000, is the confusion of our computer systems when the clock strikes 12:00 on January 1, 2000. When computers were first developed they were the size of small rooms and stored data on thousands of punch cards made out of cardboard. To save space, engineers used two digits to indicate the year. Now that we are approaching the year 2000, they realize the ambiguity of the year being 00 will apparently throw all of the computers off.
Many people have declared this a disaster. One family in Ohio has really gone to extremes. They have bought the usual for survivalists, a generator and food (a years supply). In addition to this, they have invested in a waterbed in case the water companies crash and are unable to distribute water. Y2K drills are frequently practiced in the house to ensure all the appliances will work with the generator. The mother has tried to raise awareness among the community and cannot understand why the Girl Scout leader turned down her offer to lecture on the subject.
How to Cite this Page
"The Year 2000 is Coming!." 123HelpMe.com. 20 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In today’s modern world many individuals have adapted to the American culture, leaving their traditions and cultural beliefs aside. However, there are many traditions that in spite of the distance they are being celebrated here in the United States. For instance, Chinese New Year—a popular tradition celebrated in San Francisco, California, being the biggest celebration outside of China. From Shanghai to San Francisco this tradition is mainly about the food. Specific food eaten during this time has a meaning and significance for the years ahead.... [tags: Chinese New Year, Chinese calendar, China]
1611 words (4.6 pages)
- A year later. The buzz from my cell phone forced me to open my eyes. Yawning, I closed my eyes again, did not feel to wake up yet. Besides, my bedroom was still dark. Well, I closed the entire curtain tightly last night because my goal was to sleep in. The cell phone buzzed again. And again. And again. Sighed, I stretched my hand to pick it up. Twelve messages popped up once I turned my phone on. Who sent me text that much this morning. I clicked on the messages: from Gail Ainsworth, my next-door neighbor.... [tags: Family, Debut albums, Bacon, 2000 albums]
1189 words (3.4 pages)
- “I am a child, all the world waits for my coming, All the earth watches with interest to see what I shall become, Civilization hangs in the balance, For what I am, the world tomorrow will be. I am the child; you hold in your hand my destiny, You determine, largely, whether I shall succeed or fail, Give me, I beg you, these things to make for happiness, Train me, I beg you that may I be a blessing to the world.”1 Justice Hansaria correctly quoted Maime Gene Gole. Children or Juvenile are the future a nation and it is true that what they are now the world will become tomorrow.... [tags: Juvenile Justice Essays]
1700 words (4.9 pages)
- Patrick Quirk Lance Harshbarger English 15 March 29, 2015 How is Measles Coming Back. One day I was watching CNN and a story about an outbreak of measles in Disney Land caught my eye. With my dad being a doctor, I’ve heard a lot about the human body and diseases from him growing up, so through his influence I have a bit of an interest in the topic. This story surprised me. I thought measles was a dying disease now that there is a vaccination available for the public. I knew the CDC even announced the disease as eradicated in the United States back in the year 2000.... [tags: Vaccine, Vaccination, Infectious disease]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- Canada’s Immigration Policy from 1914 to 2000 Canada’s immigration policy has got fairer from the middle of the century on to the end of the century. At the start of the century, Canada’s immigration policy, Canada’s immigration policy wasn’t fair but as the century comes to an end, Canada’s immigration policy became entirely different. There were a lot of racism in the first half of the century but most of this racism in the immigration policy disappeared from 1967 and on. As the years go by, Canada’s immigration policy gets a lot reasonable.... [tags: Immigration ]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- 1900 Versus 2000 I think that we take for granted the things that we have today. Just look at all of the innovations in technology and quality of living over the last 100 years. Back in the year 1900, things went crazy. All sorts of new inventions were coming out all of the time, and people were becoming rich beyond their wildest dreams. In my opinion, the past 100 years have left us in a completely different world. Back in the early 1900’s people were amazed to see a person driving down the road in something called an “automobile.” This was astonishing.... [tags: essays research papers]
650 words (1.9 pages)
- There are events in life, which can change yourself or your way of thinking. As for me, I think the major change in my life occurred when I moved from France to America. This change has entirely affected my personality. Why. I arrived in the United States during the summer of 2002. It was really hard for me since my parents had only told me about the move in April of that year. Therefore, I did not have the time to prepare myself psychologically. My parents had talked about coming here for a very long time, even before I was born.... [tags: Personal Essays]
483 words (1.4 pages)
- When recent college graduates look back at their collegian experience, most claim that those four years are the best four years of their life. Many cite their social life and friends they met throughout college as the reason why those four years are the best they’ve ever had. Knowing this, I was very excited to enter college coming out of high school, thinking that the next four years are going to bring exciting new changes. Although it took me a while to realize it, college did end up being the best years of my life, but for a very different reason.... [tags: High school, College, Political science]
1065 words (3 pages)
- The term career plan is the broad-based exploration associated with the career or profession expansion or growth and gives a clear explanation concerning the people who administer his or her careers within the corporations along with what aspects corporations use in formulating his or her career improvement among his or her associates. Expanding or enlarging a career or professional preparation is not an easy task for the reason behind the expansion plan assists in planning the upcoming period; throughout the whole life period people continually alter or change his or her careers frequently.... [tags: Career Ambition ]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- From the inception of professional sports in America, the sports world has been primarily exclusive, despite the national advertisement that sports can be for everybody. This seemingly-inclusive environment was truly only welcome to straight white men up until the mid-1940’s. It was when Jackie Robinson played his first MLB game that the color barrier was torn down and integration began. Unfortunately, there is a group that is still marginalized by the leaders of professional sports: gay athletes.... [tags: Coming out, Sexual orientation]
1397 words (4 pages)
Many groups are using the Internet as an easy medium for spreading the news of the computer breakdown. (Ironic, isn’t it?) Surfing the net leads to an uncountable amount of websites on the disaster of Y2K and is a frightening example of the number of people freaking out. A website maintained by the Christian Coalition claimed that “President Clinton might use the chaos that Y2K unleashes as an opportunity to seize dictatorial powers.” Another religious website compared Y2K to Noah’s Ark. They believe we should heavily prepare and not shrug it off as the people in Noah’s time dismissed the flood. They suggest to try living without electricity, water, fuel, food, and medical attention for weeks at a time. Growing a garden and buying camping supplies is also one of their suggestions for preparing. On the 2000 retreat website, I found some people are planning to retract from society until the problem blows over. This site listed guidelines for choosing a location for your retreat: more than a gas tanks drive from any developed area, far from major highways, close to a body of water, where the soil is suitable for farming, and which is defendable. I hope all of our campsites are not over run by the insane.
Now, after learning the information of this computer glitch, the normal person would do a little research on how the problem is being looked at. I went straight to the source, the computer engineers. What I discovered is that the computer scientists had thought of this problem when designing the first computers, but the year 2000 was so far away that nobody was concerned. They would “sort it out” when the time comes. However, more than forty years ago, a young scientist wrote a program for a company that needed to have the four digits in the data base which could apply to any program. This is out there, but of course there needs to be money to fix any problem with a scope as large as the computer world. Some estimates have been set at $50 to $600 billion.
So, what is being done about it? Of course we do not have to worry about the Internal Revenue Service, they are prepared. Also, most other government agencies have either started to work on it or think they have solved the problem. The computers that are responsible for keeping our defense weapons in check have been programmed for Y2K compliance and are being tested in the deserts of Utah. Dungway Proving Ground is a 1,200 square mile field at the end of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Here the United Stated Army Defense Department is testing what will happen when the millennium comes. This includes chemical and biological warfare electronics. John Rupp is the director of the Year 2000 Compliance and Operational Readiness Exercise. Rupp and his crew are programming computer models of the ones in question and setting the time for the 365th day, the 23rd hour, 30 minutes and no seconds and getting really far away to observe what happens when the clock reaches 12:00. So far tests have been successful and the millennia should come in safely, but the crew will be around on the day prepared just in case.
The Federal Aviation Administration officials say the air traffic control systems will be ready. During tests already conducted, 88% of the computers have passed and the remaining must be working by March 31st according to official Ray Long. However, he also cautioned individual airports to test to be certain the baggage handling systems are compliant. Another concern of the Federal Aviation Administration is for the air control of other countries. Officials are said to be working on it during meetings with International Aviation Systems.
The United States has a committee for almost anything you can think of and probably has enough year 2000 committees to tackle the Y2K problem. What about other countries? If they have problems, we have problems. According to CNN sources, 200-300 representatives from top international organizations such as the World Bank and World Trade Organization are scheduled to meet in Singapore next month to discuss the year 2000’s impact around the globe. Our 2000 Commission chairman will be attending the discussions the impact on financial services, telecommunications, transport, energy, and small to medium businesses.
News of the Y2K problem is well distributed, and computer programmers are on the problem. The question is are they really ready? That is the scary thing. Those whose choose to panic over the situation obviously don’t think so or don’t want to think so. They believe there is no way to fix this problem. However, if other humans can develop a box that contains silicon chips that can store and compute mass amounts of information, I have confidence programmers can switch the worlds computers to a 2000 compliant state and our level of government certainly has the ability and the motive to do this.
But, throughout history many people have used unusual events or distinctive time points as signals of huge events (think of the frenzy Haley’s Comet produced in the 1800s and the Hale Bop Comet in the 1990s). I don’ t think the millennium will bring any major disaster with it. People have survived tragedies like the depression and the civil war. We can handle a few days without electricity or using our credit cards if worse comes to worse. The citizens of a rural Montana town actually welcome a breakdown. They will dust off their old adding machines and live like the old days for a while. “This Y2K thing might show people how they’ve been babied.”
A few experts say the real threat is not in the worldwide breakdown of computers but the safeguards everyone will be taking. If worried about their funds, people will be inclined to withdraw all their money from the bank, and the mass selling of stocks may send the stock market into a great decline. The Federal Reserve is actual planning to print an excess of money to prepare for this.
I am sure there will a few glitches when the millennium comes around, but I suspect nothing world threatening. However, I might be buying a few extra ramen noodles in December and making sure I have my funds on paper. Just in case.