Essay PreviewMore ↓
In the year 1977 computers went on sale for the national public. Today in the year 2004 computers with connection to the internet are an essential item to have in the household. Accountants and typists are no longer the only ones buying computers. Age does not matter. Everyone needs a computer in the household. Computers help all kinds of people. Meeting different people’s needs, therefore computers are a useful tool for all age groups. Children, teenagers, adults, and senior citizens all can use the same computer, but they all use the computer for a different purpose.
Computers have always been useful, but not until recently have computers become useful for children who are twelve and under. Of course these children enjoy playing games and talking to there friends on the computer but due to new innovations coming out everyday children can now do a lot more then just play and socialize. Computers have brought school to the home. When children come home from school it used to mean school was over but today if you have access to the internet school is know longer over but just beginning on the internet. The internet has special educational sites that children can visit and learn from. Besides that children actually can have contact with there personal teacher from school. A new invention called the “Mobile Author can be used by human instructors either from a computer or a mobile phone to create their own Intelligent Tutoring Systems and to distribute them to their students. Students can also use any computer or mobile phone to have access to theory and tests.” (Source 2, Journal) Homework, notes, review assignments can now be given over the internet by the child’s teacher from there school. “Instructors can monitor their students; progress and communicate with their students during the course.” (Source 2, Journal) Children can learn new information on the internet and they are able to review and get extra help on things they don’t understand. If a child realizes that they do not understand something when they get home, they know longer have to wait to go in to school for extra help, but they now can communicate with there teacher online or they can go to an internet tutoring system which will give them just as much help as being in a regular classroom.
How to Cite this Page
"Computers are an Essential Item to have in the Household Today." 123HelpMe.com. 28 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Over the last years, technology has been changed rapidly. It has influenced on people’s social life, business, and education, interact, communicate, work, and play. Thousands of devices have been developed recently that have influenced people’s activities and made their lives easier. Smart phones, tablets, cameras, and scanners are now acting as separate computer devices. An article published by Sandhyarani N. (2011) stated that "The present global age is the consequence of the computer age"(p.1).... [tags: information technology development]
1897 words (5.4 pages)
- The United States of America has been dealt a crippling blow buy none other than her people. The time is coming when Lady Liberty will have to be dismantled, and sold off at the scrap yard. Today, more and more people feel they are entitled to the seemingly endless abundance of financial support. In a study by The Congressional Research Services (CRS) that was reported, in an Oct 18 2012 article titled CRS Report: Welfare Spending The Largest Item In The Federal Budget, that 80-plus federal welfare programs amounting to roughly $1.03 Trillion were identified.... [tags: Household income in the United States]
701 words (2 pages)
- Technology Today Technology today adds much advancement to our everyday lives. We drive fast cars. Talk on the phone, organizing meetings, and catching up with old friends, or the friend you are on your way to go see. The technology we use today has made us as a human race really reliant on how it makes our lives easier. Through much advancement in the technology and how it makes our lives easier, it also makes them more difficult. When something breaks we are unable to fix it, and have to take the object to go get fixed and it normally costs a lot more to fix a higher technology item.... [tags: Computers Technology]
710 words (2 pages)
- Computers are everywhere, and they are used for everything, and in every type of business have we become too dependent on computers. The younger generation particularly has seized on the strange communication through the Internet. Using chat groups on different subjects they are taking in school, they conduct live conversations by keyboard through the internet. Since computers have been invented, so many people everywhere find themselves dependent on computers. Computers are appearing almost about every aspect of our lives, and in most cases, they are making things very easy r for us.... [tags: computers]
934 words (2.7 pages)
- The Impact that Computers Have on Individuals today Computers have become a great source for everyone throughout the world today. In today’s society, computers are used for work places, homework sources, and more. People now care for them like they care for their cellular devices, they can’t leave their homes without their cell phones and now their computers. My pastor even has a computer/laptop filled with his notes when he’s teaching and preaching his sermons during church on Sundays. Everyone uses computers including young children, teens, adults, and even elderly people.... [tags: Mobile phone, Computer, Internet, High school]
998 words (2.9 pages)
- Computers are shaping society today, whether it’s the way we talk, eat, sleep, or even act. We use computers in our everyday lives all the time, they allow us to become more innovative and continue to make the human life easier. Our education would be limited to who we had in our community and their own wisdom, whereas today we can have access to information all over the globe. With this information also comes responsibility some information cannot be shared with the public or some believe that and can be protected by security.... [tags: Computer, Electronics, Electronic engineering]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- The computer has been one of man’s most influential inventions, paving the way for greater achievements with time. Today, computers have become an essential component in fulfilling everyday tasks in both our professional and personal lives. Computers are used to store vast amounts of information, and even replace humans in factories throughout the world. We must now ask ourselves, is this reliance on computers aiding the human mind in achieving its full potential or rather replacing it and hindering our progress.... [tags: Computers ]
924 words (2.6 pages)
- The United State’s Constitution, the shortest written Constitution in the world, only has twenty-seven amendments, and now it is time to add another. The power of a presidential line-item veto was denied to the Clinton Administration in 1998, but with this last Congress being the least productive Congress ever, it is time to re-think the power distribution in the legislative process. In Congress, on average, only 10% of the bills proposed make their way through, and ever reach the President’s desk.... [tags: Pro Line-item Veto]
3295 words (9.4 pages)
- The History of Computers Thousands of years ago calculations were done using people’s fingers and pebbles that were found just lying around. Technology has transformed so much that today the most complicated computations are done within seconds. Human dependency on computers is increasing everyday. Just think how hard it would be to live a week without a computer. We owe the advancements of computers and other such electronic devices to the intelligence of men of the past. The history of the computer dates back all the way to the prehistoric times.... [tags: Computers Technology Essays]
836 words (2.4 pages)
- Computers and Firefighting It seems that the advances of today are moving far more rapidly than people have ever thought about. The only question is that how much farther can we go in the advancement of computer technology to support people. One of the ways to support people is in the area of Firefighting. In this field the firemen with help of computers is allowed to help civilians when they are in need. The job of now is becoming a little safer to do because of newly advances by computers in the firefighting field.... [tags: Firefighters Computers Technology Essays]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
If something is explained to a child by a cyber tutor, and that child still does not understand how to do a certain assignment, or a problem the cyber tutor is programmed to explain things in more then one way, so that what one child may understand another child may understand when explained to in a different way. Computers also help uninterested children become more interested in there school work. Children who might not be that interested in school, there education, and have a short attention span, seem to have taken a liking to computers and have been learning more through the computer rather then paying attention in there own classroom. Computers have helped a lot of children who may have been straying from there education become more involved and start learning once again. Although tutoring and learning on the internet is exciting and engaging for children, internet learning is in no way here to replace classroom learning in a physical classroom. There will always be classroom learning but children who have access to a computer after the school day is over, are at a definite advantage to learning and becoming a better student.
Teenagers have become dependent on computers for there social life, home work and other aspects. The internet is to some degree replacing the phone for teenagers. They can now have numerous numbers of conversations with different people at the same time, rather then spending time talking to one person on the telephone and giving them your full attention. Today it is more common for a teenager to exchange there screen name with someone that they might have met rather then to give that person there phone number. If a teenager did not have access to a computer with the internet in there home, it would not mean that they would be anti-social and not have any friends but, they would miss out on a lot of events that get posted or passed around through the internet and they would miss out talking to a lot of there friends and maybe long distance friends as well. There is always a concern from parents that they may not want there teenager going on the internet because they don’t know what there teenager is doing and who they are talking to, but this should know longer be a concern because now there are special techniques and programs which parents can put into effect to see where there teenager has gone and who they have talked to. It is more of a beneficial tool for a teenager to be connected to the internet, not just for there social life but also for there school work. Teenagers may or may not find the tutoring programs as useful as younger children may find it, but middle school into high school into college years having a computer in the household is extremely convenient for a students work. Most all assignments required by teachers must be typed. Some assignments are even given through the internet and handed in through the internet. Pen and pencil are know longer the leading tool to be used when working on an assignment. There are computers located in different facilities, such as the library for many teenagers to use for free, but having one in there home makes things more convenient and more practical for them. Typing an assignment is required in today’s school but another recently new concept which involve computers and the internet is surfing the web for information. A lot of research which students do is know longer just done in the library with books, but now can be done from your very own home. By surfing the internet you can find information and you what books you want to look at in the library before you even go to the library, you will know what you want, and if the library has it in stock. Teenagers have access to a computer in multiple places weather it be at the library or in school, but having a computer at home certainly makes them more convenient for a lot of teenagers.
Children and teenagers need access to a computer, but so do there parents. Adults also need access to computers and the internet just as much or even more then there children. Computers have opened so many different windows for adults especially in the work area and the social aspect for adults. As far as work and business goes, most adults have become accustomed to having a computer in there work area. Having a computer in there own household may reduce some hours which they have to spend in the work area if they can get some of there work done from there very own home. This will help busy adults multi-task there activities by letting them do some or all of there work day right out of there own home. Most business today have some part of there business run on a computer and having a computer in the household just makes things so much more convenient for an adult who is very busy or who maybe commutes to work and forgot something or can’t make it in one day. Besides doing your job on a computer, adults now can have a social life through the internet. Using many different websites which have been created for adults, they can now advertise themselves to other adults and meet someone that they may be interested in dating or just starting a friendship with them. Millions of adults are involved in these sites and enjoy them, because it is a different type of socializing then the old fashioned way of meeting someone. These types of web sites have become a way of life for most single adults who are interested in meeting people. Although adults have not grown up with computers they became accustomed to having them in the household and at there convenience.
Another generation who did not grow up in the technology era of computers are senior citizens. Senior citizens have not had much experience with computers but they still need one in there household. It was found that in 1995 the “overall computer ownership in the 55-75 age group is 30%.” (Document 6) That survey was taken nine years ago, you can just imagine how many senior citizens now own a computer in there household. Most of the senior citizens who do own a computer use the computer for very minimal things, such as word processing. Though more and more senior citizens are connecting to the internet and using the internet as a tool for receiving information. There were a surprising number of senior citizens who were using the computer for other things that were more complex such as banking, a phone book, and editing things such as a picture in a photo editor program. Senior Citizens may not have homework, internet friends, or business to run but they still use a computer just as much as other people do, just not for the same activity.
“People’s busy lives have made computers nearly a must-have item. Being able to log on to the World Wide Web has allowed for many conveniences. Information is readily available. This information can be work- or education- related, or it can simply be for pleasure. E-mail and instant messaging has allowed for easier and cheaper communication.” (Document 7) Having a computer in your household will be a convince and an attribution to everyone who lives in the house. Today’s computer will benefit everyone. School work, social life, and business are all benefited from having a computer which is connected to the internet at your fingertips. It is a necessity in today’s world to have a computer which is connected to the internet in your household.
1. Stefansson, Gunnar. (2003). The tutor-web: An educational system for classroom
presentation, evaluation and self-study. Computers & Education, 43, 315-343
2. Virvou, Maria and Alepis, Eythimios. (2003). Mobile educational features in
authoring tools fro personalized tutoring. Computers & Education, 44, 53-68.
3. Some Thoughts on the Development of Personal Computers. (1991, June 14). Retrieved
October 3, 2004, from http://www.webcom.com/duane/txt/comp1991.txt
4. Roanoke College center for community Research (1995). Who Uses Computers?
(Electronic version). The Roanoke Times and World-News.
5. Senior Citizen Usage of Computers is Surprising. (1999, January 5). Retrieved
October 3, 2004, from http://www.stamps.net/newswr43.htm
6. Technology & Senior Citizens. (1995-2004). Retrieved October 3, 2004, from
7. Tomorrow’s Technology for Teachers. (2001, November). Retrieved October 3, 2004,
8. Computers and Computer Usage. (1985 to the present). Retrieved October 3, 2004,