Essay PreviewMore ↓
I was told that the principal had used her executive power to chop up my article into bits that didn’t contain the harassing, offensive points that it originally owned. I was sad, very very sad. It’s tough for someone with a weak emotional structure to be rejected and told I’m harassing to younger people. So, the advisors went to the bargaining table, nothing changed. Therefore we revised, redid, and reedited the entire article and pumped out a version that had the heart and soul cut out of it, but we put it in the paper anyway. The version that came out in the last edition didn’t have the same edge that the original copy had. Now I have respect for people who have the courage to challenge the freedom of press (that’d be me). Bring it on. I’m not afraid of having my paper rejected. I take it as a compliment. If you want to try to challenge me, I will have the last word.
I think of myself as an Epicurean. That means I don’t believe in emotions, but it also means I’m perverted. Anyway, someone without emotions has no conscience, without a conscience you are free of convictions. Being free of conviction means I cannot be offended. My anger is under my control, I choose not anger myself with the people who are angered with me. I divert my anger to people who cannot control themselves. That basically means that if your mad at me, and you try to make me angry it won’t work.
For the last year of writing this column it has been more or less a joke. It was designed to make people chuckle a little. Now, this year I was told by the staff that the offender had no real point, just humor. So I decided for my first piece I would take a controversial subject, such as eroding senior privileges, and put my own point of view down and the point of view from many of the other seniors. I realize that I didn’t look at it from everyone’s point of view. That, I believe, was a mistake on my behalf. This is a subject that has seriously infuriated me and I took it out in a public piece. I believe there will be more people looking to my column, since I have written a controversial piece.
How to Cite this Page
"It's my opinion." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Oct 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- While the experience, proven technique, or research of an expert on a given subject are all tremendous guides in the quest for knowledge, the opinion of said expert will almost certainly hinder or deter one in the pursuit of knowledge. The very nature of an opinion is something that undoubtedly challenges the three aforementioned factors in regards to the search of knowledge. Most definitions of the word “opinion” have the same characteristics in diction, with “a belief,” “a personal view,” and “estimate” all topping the list of the most commonly used phrases and words.... [tags: knowledge, opinion, experience, insight]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- “ If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse.” (Walt Disney) The public in the city of Philadelphia has described the youth as loud, obnoxious, and ghetto. That is not the case. In fact, we are all human and we have flaws. But the problem is that the youth are not given an outlet to express themselves in way where we are looked upon with respect. We aren’t given the correct tools to show the world that we are here and we want to be seen.... [tags: following the crowd, own opinion]
981 words (2.8 pages)
- Police officers are an integral part of our society, they exist to establish and maintain stability and safety for the citizens which are in their jurisdiction. However, that great responsibility does not come without a downside, when people are given power there will always be someone who will abuse it. Our law enforcement staff is no exception to this rule; in 2010 there were 4,861 reports of police misconduct in the United States (NPMSRP). Police misconduct can mean anything from fraud or theft, to sexual assault or the use of excessive force.... [tags: Media and Public Opinion]
2039 words (5.8 pages)
- The Internet along with other technologies has opened channels of communication. Not only has the Internet played a great role in forming international public opinions regarding the United States throughout the Middle East, Asia, and Western Europe, but it has also helped to democratize the rest of the world by allowing them to voice their own opinions. However, sometimes the incited cyber public opinions would lead to some extremely negative behaviors and cause serious problems like cyber bullying, real life crimes, and even a long time social unrest.... [tags: technology, opinions]
1030 words (2.9 pages)
- Imagine a world where everyone wears the same types and colors of clothing, and listens to the same type of music. How would that world appear to anybody that has lived in this world. Very likely, it would appear bland and boring; with no changes or differences in nearly all aspects of life. For most people, what is worn and listened to, affects how others are viewed through the eyes of everyone else and is used to express opinions and personality. Typically, 2 people will form an opinion of others within the first 3 seconds of meeting one another.... [tags: opinions, classism,]
553 words (1.6 pages)
- Odyssey Essay Being attacked by one eyed monsters, huge storms, a giant sea dragon, and scores of angry men were just a few of the perils Odysseus had to overcome. He did not only overcome them, but he did so in a way that would forever be thought of as heroic. Odysseus, the epic hero of Homer's The Odyssey demonstrates the Greek ideal of leadership, bravery, and devotion to the gods. Odysseus was a great leader and showed his leadership abilities many times, times where his men were ready to give up and accept their fate.... [tags: Opinion Essays]
642 words (1.8 pages)
- Books that are on the Best-Seller-List are reviewed or criticized more than any other book published at any given time. Which is the case of the, “Tipping Point, written by Malcolm Gladwell.” Gladwell’s book has been combed over many times over by Book Reviews/Critics. From the excerpts, I have read of the, “Tipping Point,” Gladwell seems laudable of the reviews. Evaluation of the following Book Reviewer/Critics, Allan Wolfe from the Nytimes.com, Kirk McElhearn from Techsoc.com, and Andrew Collins from Redfenceproject.com will allow me to form an opinion.... [tags: Literary Analysis ]
1714 words (4.9 pages)
- My employer, an electrical fixtures supply company, has decided to purchase company cars for all of the sales staff. I have been asked to select the line of automobiles that should be purchased. I have decided that on grounds of economy and longevity that it is in the company's best interest to purchase Volvo's. As a prudent and sensible buyer, I have done research on the web and have discovered that experts agree the Volvo is the most mechanically superior and safe automobile for my companies needs.... [tags: Biased Opinion Car Brand Narrative]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- The Power of Opinion Confidence is a key component in the development of success. In order to reach this stability one must be a recipient of encouragement and upholding. This support creates an individuality and esteem for success. For example, in my experiences with females I have come to a vague realization that they feed off of encouragement. It seems like the focus of most of the girls that I know, is to impress. I believe this because when they are complimented, to most it will make their day.... [tags: Papers]
369 words (1.1 pages)
- Euthanasia Opinion Euthanasia is the intentional termination of life by another at the request of the person who dies. Although it is legal in Holland, it is illegal throughout the UK and is an extremely controversial topic often discussed in the media. When it is being debated it is essential to address all the issues and arguments for and against, religious and non-religious, as all the churches oppose it strongly. There are very many points against euthanasia. The first is that life is a gift from God and only he can take it away.... [tags: Free Euthanasia Essay]
665 words (1.9 pages)
It’s getting a rise out of people in any sort of way. At least the brains are moving.
Now I’m hoping that I will anger people in the future. The principal and my advisors do have the power to cut certain content. Its called power of prior review, therefore they can remove any subject that might be perceived as harassing to someone or hindering the educational process or conflicting with the schools stated educational pedagogy. So when you feel a little pressured, or even a little shut in, don’t be surprised, that’s what I’m trying to do. I appreciate the staff who came forward and told me that they didn’t agree with some of my subjects. Of course a lot of staff members won’t understand. Just let us know with letters to the editor. It lets me know that I’m doing my part. It means that I am reemphasizing problems that might be able to go away if we continue to press against it. I’m sure that if enough intelligent well rounded students got together and really tried and had good ideas that include curricular and extracurricular activities and doing something worthwhile with our time. We could maybe have one or two free periods. That would be nice, but when you read my column and feel a tid-bit annoyed or angered look up at the title and remember I’m trying to do that.