Essay PreviewMore ↓
Sex, Erotica, nude women, three some, these are some keywords for finding pornography on the internet. The censorship of pornography has a positive affect on the United States of America and is a good thing because pornography leads to crime, pornography has no positive effects on society, and censoring pornography is not against the constitution.
Crimes and pornography have a direct and apparent link. Eighty-one percent of criminals rate pornography as their highest sexual interest ( ). This means that the clear majority of criminals love pornography and find it highly interesting, most other people probably rank other human beings as their highest sexual interest. When an adult book store is closed the crime rate in the surrounding areas falls significantly ( 188). Also It was found that child molesters have a higher probability of molesting a larger number
of victims and it is likely that these offenders have some access to pornography or erotica. ( 189). Over all crime and pornography do have a link between them and that makes censoring it a positive idea for America.
Pornography has no positive effect on society. The American population agrees that pornography does not serve a legitimate purpose. Seventy-two percent of Americans want some sort of crack down on pornography. Also Ninety-two percent of Americans want a crack down on child pornography because it has no value and is disgusting and against the law ( 179).
Pornography was found to have little redeeming social value by artistic criteria and is close to worth less ( 218).
The censoring of pornography is not against the United States Constitution.
The reason why pornography is not included under the constitution is because it was demeaned by the United States Supreme court in 1973 to be lewd and obscene material ( 173).
The first amendment was intended to protect political speech in America not the speech that includes the exploiting of women and photography of women being raped ( 183). The founding fathers did not intend for their bill of rights to be exploited in the ways that it is today they would have wanted us to have a safe and peaceful society. That would be one that does not include pornography.
The opposition to the censoring of pornography will say that it is against the United States Constitution, which it is not. They will also say that it is censoring thoughts and ideas not actions.
How to Cite this Page
"Censorship of Pornography." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Nov 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Debates regarding whether or not a work that is deemed to be pornographic should be censored and publicly funded typically depend on controversial claims about various definitions of pornography and guidelines for censoring and public funding. In this paper, I proceed to offer a general description of pornography using specific examples. I then develop an argument in support for public censorship of work’s which relate to pornography. Finally, based on my definition of pornography and support for censorship, I concluded the paper arguing how public funding should not be granted for works depicting pornography.... [tags: nudity and art]
1593 words (4.6 pages)
- Very few of us are strangers to pornography. Definitions and opinions aside, in each of our lives there was a moment when we first encountered that particular book or image or movie which forever skewed our conventional view of sex. After our introduction to pornography, sex just didn't seem as clean, serious or sacred. It became clumsy, juvenile, or simply laughable. I first became an acquaintance of pornography at the age of thirteen during a summer visit to my uncle's bachelor bungalow. In the bottom drawer of an old chest I found some moldy old copies of Hustler Magazine.... [tags: Pornography Censorship]
3174 words (9.1 pages)
- Since their founding, computers and the Internet have become a tool that nearly every man, woman, and child in the World have been able to use. E-mail has become one of the Worlds fastest growing ways of communication and the Internet has become one, if not the largest source of information available today. You can find just about everything you wanted to know about anything with the stroke of a few keys on the keyboard. However, along with these positive aspects of the Internet, there lies much negativity surrounding the internet and its use.... [tags: Pornography Censorship]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- It goes by many names, from "smut" to "erotic art." It's as old as civilization itself, and is present in all cultures, with or without the approval of those in authority. It takes many forms, finding expression in literature, music, painting, sculpture and theater, as well as in the more modern media of photography and cinema. Its creators range from the anonymous scrawler to the likes of Catullus, Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Titian, and Wagner; and their talents run the gamut from childishly crude to supremely eloquent.... [tags: Pornography Censorship]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- The Internet is a worldwide network of computers and databases that has evolved rapidly in recent years. Tremendous amounts of information are transmitted and are fairly easy to obtain. Although in the past the information available was for the most part educational and business oriented, in recent years it has become much more diverse and questions have been raised as to the appropriateness of the content being viewed and consumed. Another issue is whether or not the government should take an active role in censoring it, especially when it comes to pornography, or cyberporn, as it is more commonly referred to when it is displayed on the Internet.... [tags: Internet Pornography Essays]
1657 words (4.7 pages)
- Censorship of Pornography Sex, Erotica, nude women, three some, these are some keywords for finding pornography on the internet. The censorship of pornography has a positive affect on the United States of America and is a good thing because pornography leads to crime, pornography has no positive effects on society, and censoring pornography is not against the constitution. Crimes and pornography have a direct and apparent link. Eighty-one percent of criminals rate pornography as their highest sexual interest ( ).... [tags: Social Issues Argumentative Censor Porn Essays]
672 words (1.9 pages)
- Imagine a place where you have access to anything and everything one could want. Some would say that is only existent in a utopia, and some would say that describes the Internet. Many adults go on to the net and access pornographic material that would be unsuitable for children. This is called cyberporn. The controversy lies in the fact that children are accessing these materials also. Government, activist groups, and concerned parents are fighting to regulate obscene material found over the Internet to protect children.... [tags: Internet Censorship]
2388 words (6.8 pages)
- The Internet is a global network of vast information. With a few clicks, an individual can have access to up to 200 million web-sites filled with educational and recreational information. The Internet is not regulated in anyway (Carnegie Library 1). It is accessible throughout the entire world from the North to the South, to the early morning sunrise and dark sunsets. Different ethnicity and backgrounds come together linked upon this network resembling a connection of one body in unity. Sadly, issues arise creating concern for users, focusing particularly on minors.... [tags: Internet Porn Essays]
4055 words (11.6 pages)
- Pornography – Government Censorship Will Never Promote Equality Catharine Mackinnon seeks to be the Galileo of sexual inequality: the philosopher free of preconceptions who reveals a new structure, incorporating all known facts, radically different from anything previously understood. The structure Galileo overthrew was the Earth-centered universe. The structure Mackinnon must overthrow, in order to make the law do what she thinks it must, is the First Amendment- centered universe (though Mackinnon would probably say it was the pimp-centered universe; pimp is a favorite term of hers).... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Argument Essays]
1770 words (5.1 pages)
- Being frustrated is disagreeable, but the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want. For almost a century now, a great many intelligent, well-meaning and articulate people have argued eloquently against any kind of censorship of art and entertainment. Within the past twenty years, courts and legislatures have found these arguments so persuasive that censorship is now a relative rarity in most states. Is there triumphant exhilaration in the land. Hardly. Somehow, things have not worked out as they were supposed to, and many civil-libertarians have said this was not what they meant.... [tags: Censorship Pornography Obscenity]
1568 words (4.5 pages)
First, there are no legitimate arguments against censorship all of the arguments are intended to frighten one into believing the way they do. The argument that the censorship of pornography is against the constitution is a false and ludicrous idea. The Supreme court did rule that it is not against the constitution to censor pornography.
The censorship of pornography does not censor thought and ideas it does not say that one needs to not ever have a dirty thought or even that one can not talk about it to someone else. What it does mean is that by censoring material published in the media form we
will be protection our society. Last is the most ridiculous argument of all the on that says that if you censor one thing it will cause you to censor more and more things until the there is nothing left to censor. The censorship of pornography has worked in many other countries before an it has not caused a massive increase in the censoring of other ideas what it did cause was a fall in crime rates ( 174). The one thing the opposition
failed to prove was what is pornography's positive affect on society.
In conclusion the censorship of pornography does not have a downside. It
will decrease the crime rate, it will make America a better society, and will
up hold what the founding fathers want free political speech not free speech
to watch children getting raped.