Essay PreviewMore ↓
With talk shows ruling day-time television, people are left with little choice but to watch this humiliating form of entertainment. Turn the television on in the afternoon and you will find a large variety of talk shows to choose from. "Maybe we have become a nation addicted to hearing our neighbors' seamy personal problems"(You 40). Personally, I feel it is both the lack of choice and the attraction to other peoples problems.
Many of the topics on talk shows are degrading to our society. If person came to America for the first time and watched television, they would probably see a talk show. The model a talk show would give of American society is horrifying. For example, a common talk show topic is teens having multiple sex partners at young ages. However, not all teens are sexually active at such a young age. For this reason talk shows are misleading not only to foreigners but to children and young adults who are learning about morals and our society. In a letter to the corporate CEO's distributing these programs, William Bennett and Senator Joseph Lieberman asked: "Would you want your young children to view a program showcasing the sexual adventures of a 14-year-old girl who married her 71-year-old foster father"(Flint and Wharton). To those who do not tune into these shows this discription may sound like an exaggeration; however, it is not. This is exactly the type of topics on some shows. Not only are half the shows ridiculous with topics of deceit, revenge and "extreme behavior", but some of them are false(Flint and Wharton). On the Jerry Springer Show a Canadian comedy troupe went on the show and created a story. The story was that one of the men had an affair with his baby-sitter. After the show appeared on television, the troupe members went to the press saying how they deceived the program and its audience(You 52). Some people will do anything to be on television.
Some shows trick people into situations. The Jenny Jones show has had several episode entitled "Secret Crush". In these episode secret admirers are revealed to her guests. In some cases her guests are displeased with their secret admirer. I can remember one episode that I watched. A woman was surprised by a man who had a secret crush on her.
She was very disturbed when she realized who he was.
How to Cite this Page
"Do It Publicly." 123HelpMe.com. 28 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I recommend against funding the proposal to develop and make publicly available the "DDHG-DisHarmony" web database system based on the model of the LPA's "Deadbeats Database" without addressing some minor technical and serious ethical concerns. While the suggested model is technically adequate to achieve its purposes, due to the nature of the information to be presented, I find it to be insufficient in its implementation. Ethically, there is the potential for grave violations of privacy and confidentiality that should be considered.... [tags: Internet]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- 3. The question of what can and cannot be spoken, what can and cannot be publicly exposed, is raised throughout all of the novels on the course and linked with the larger question of class and resistance. Discuss. Language in its essence is the property of the individual person, not only spoken language but also thought. Thought can be corrupted by language and “language can also be corrupted by thought” (Orwell). In a class bound hegemonic society this means there are those among us who will seek to control what can and cannot be spoken to protect their own personal narrative or agenda.... [tags: class and resistance in literature]
1672 words (4.8 pages)
Public School Students On Standardized Test Scores Of Homeschooled Students And Publicly Educated Students
- Since the colonial times, America’s education system has remained at the center of society. Children are the next generation of citizens, and they must be prepared to carry on the success that older generations have started. Because of the importance of this task, many citizens debate about the best way to accomplish it. One of the most common arguments is whether publicly educated students or homeschooled students have a greater probability of becoming successful. Although there are many similarities and differences between the two systems that support arguments on both sides, the positives and negatives balance out.... [tags: Education, High school]
933 words (2.7 pages)
Healthcare Of The Us Should Become Socialized And Publicly Owned Has Received A Great Deal Of Attention
- In recent years, the issue of whether healthcare in the US should become “socialized” or publicly owned has received a great deal of attention. On the one hand, the (mostly) privately-run, for-profit system that America does have provides a wide variety of medical services to meet the wide array of consumer’s healthcare needs. On the other hand, it has created a system where only those with the money to receive advanced and/or life-saving medical treatments have been able to benefit from that system.... [tags: Health care, Medicine, Health economics]
1245 words (3.6 pages)
- I do not think I have ever publicly talked about my childhood much. Only recently has God allowed me to begin to share my experiences growing up. It has never been easy to speak about certain things, and other things I simply cannot remember. I have tried, but I believe what the old cliché says…that God protects fools and babies. Not sure which of the two I have been, from one time to the next, I am just glad He does. Not everyone can handle hearing hard things or are mature enough to digest your testimony.... [tags: Family, Mother, Father, Parent]
1918 words (5.5 pages)
- Childcare or “daycare” is one of the most commonly used resources among Americans in the United States. There are many options for childcare that parents could choose from. The cost of childcare has risen dramatically over the past year, and no one really knows who to blame for it. The average cost for one child in a childcare facility ranges from $100-$350 a week. The government offers families subsidies for childcare, but that’s only if your income is low. What about the hard working middle class families that are still struggling to pay the high cost of childcare.... [tags: Baby Sitters, Publicly Funded Programs]
1266 words (3.6 pages)
- Worldwide there are about 63000 publicly traded firms. A publicly traded firm is a limited liability company that offers its securities for example stock, shares, bonds and loans for sale to the general public. They typically do this through a stock exchange, or through market makers operating in over the counter markets. Publicly traded companies are owned by large groups of people, each of whom own anywhere from one share to thousands of shares in the company. The profits of the company are divided among the shareholders and paid to them as dividends.... [tags: Stock, Stock market, Public company, Form 10-K]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- Arthur Dimmesdale's soul was jeopardized by Roger Chillingworth's intentions, which were to ruin him, but his only messiah, is Pearl. Dimmesdale must embrace Pearl as his daughter and publicly confess to be free from his self-inflicted torture. Arthur Dimmesdale's soul was placed in jeopardy since we first saw him. He foreshadowed to Hester Prynne about what the effect of her silence would do to him. He said, ';What can thy silence do for him, except it tempt him — yea, compel him, as it were — to add hypocrisy to sin?….'; pg.62.... [tags: essays research papers]
395 words (1.1 pages)
- More than 4,300 people have been executed in the United States since 1930. There is no way of knowing how many people have been executed in the United States because executions were once a public affair with no central agency keeping track of them. In addition to these judicialy imposed actions, there were 4,730 recorded lynchings by vigilantes in the U.S. with most being publicly displayed. Some people, such as Pope Johm Paul II believe that these punishments are cruel and outright evil. While on the other hand, many feel that these actions taken are well deserved, like Missouri’s Gov.... [tags: essays research papers]
590 words (1.7 pages)
- Prayer or No Prayer. There are many different issues that are constantly discussed in political issues. One issue that is often brought to light is the issue of public prayer in schools. I feel that it is something that needs to allowed. Our pledge of allegiance says, One nation, under God, and with liberty and justice for all. If our children are allowed to cite this at school, why are they not allowed to publicly pray. The ability to express themselves is something that every child needs. I certainly understand that there are children of different religions in every class, but they should all be able to express themselves instead of keeping them silent.... [tags: essays research papers]
499 words (1.4 pages)
- Does a Violent Media create a Violent Society?
- Domestic Violence
- Dying With Dignity
- Negative Consequences of Cigarette Smoking
- The United States Interaction with the International Court of Justice Over Consular Rights: How Our Refusal to Obey Is Impacting Foreign Nationals an
- Environmentally Conscious Propoganda
In some shows the guests are not informed of the topic, and they end up being embarrassed by a ridiculous topic. This is wrong because these people with their loved ones or friends sometimes involved are mislead and sometimes humiliated on national television by the producers. Even though the guests agree to appear on the shows because they wanted to, some regret it after the show (You 40). Therefore, we can not pose the guests as helpless victims because they are adults. Also, if they have seen a talk show before they went on one, they would know what they were getting themselves into. In my opinion there are just too many talk shows. According to Larry Pollock there are 32 talk shows on television right now(Flint and Wharton). There are a few talk shows that are conscientious and have very interesting and educational topics. For example Oprah Winfrey and Maury Povich are two shows that have many rewarding topics such as family reunions. They also have educational topics on child and spousal abuse. These shows are good because they expose us to different things that are going on in the world, things that we can change. The best thing to do is to shift through all the talk shows and get rid of the garbage. In the nineteen eighties, soap operas and game shows ruled day-time television. If we can find something entertaining to replace talk shows, we can make them a fad of the past(Schiff 10).