Essay PreviewMore ↓
Flagstaff has always been an exciting and interesting town to me. When I decided to go to college here, I wanted to go someplace with a fun outdoorsy atmosphere where there would always be new stuff to do. I think I have found the excitement and adventure I was looking for in the somewhat small and comfortable city of Flagstaff. Through my new experience and my time in Flagstaff, I have found myself to be a stronger and well rounded person.
When I found out the assignment of doing something new in Flagstaff, I was excited because it gave me a chance to make myself get out of my comfort zone and try something different. I first decided that I wanted to go hiking, but then decided it was too cold. By Sunday night, the weekend was almost over and I still hadn’t done anything totally different. So I decided to be bold and ask a new friend, Jim, from class if he wanted to go out and do something. At least I would be doing something with someone I don’t usually hang out with, so that would give me something to write about.
Jim and I decided we would go bowling, which I actually hadn’t done since I’ve been in Flagstaff. We got to the bowling alley and found that many people had the same idea of what to do on a Sunday night. The bowling lanes in Flagstaff are much different than the lanes in my home town. The lanes here are small and there are about 15 of them. There is also only one bowling alley in all of Flagstaff, which is weird because in my home town, we always have to choose between ten different places to go when we decide to go bowling. Since there were so many people at the lanes, the man told us it would be a two hour wait for a lane. So we decided not to wait, and to simply find something else to do.
Jim and I ended up going to the pool hall in town, which I didn’t even know existed.
How to Cite this Page
"A New Look at Flagstaff." 123HelpMe.com. 24 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Exploring the Beauty of Flagstaff I have always loved visiting Flagstaff for its beautiful atmosphere. Part of which makes Flagstaff so beautiful are the beautiful pine trees that make up the woods. Driving up from Tucson can be such a long drag, especially when all you see is desert. You really know when you finally hit Flagstaff, because the trees along I 17 start to get bigger. They are so beautiful as they stand tall and sway with the light breezes that pass by. The woods show the strength of Flagstaff as well as the beauty.... [tags: Personal Narratives Flagstaff Essays]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- Why You Should Go To The Flagstaff Harkins Theater Right Now Popcorn and soda, and movies, oh my. Welcome to the new school year any and all NAU students. Many of you may be wondering, “what fun thing can I do to help pass my time this weekend?”—when you’re not doing homework of course—well, I have an answer for you. If you have not gone to the Flagstaff Harkins Theater yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING. It is a fun and friendly environment for any college student, whether you are new to campus or a senior counting down the days to graduation.... [tags: Movie theater, Ticket, Box office, Film]
1385 words (4 pages)
- Flagstaff Flagstaff is a small college town in Northern Arizona, with a population of around 55,000. The city is at an elevation of 7,000 feet and is surrounded by ponderosa pines. The ponderosa pines up here are the largest continuous body of ponderosas in the world. The summers are quite nice with temperatures only reaching the 80’s and with winter temperatures in the 40’s. Northern Arizona University is also located in Flagstaff with a college population of 15,000. Flagstaff is great for outdoor activities, many lakes and streams are close by along with many hiking trails.... [tags: Colleges Arizona Education Essays]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- Percival Lowell was a well-known businessman, mathematician, author, and astronomer. He is the founder of the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. He is also well known for popularizing the idea that Mars had life. His ideas had an immense impact on science fiction, as well as science itself. Not only that, Lowell’s search for “Planet-X” led to the discovery of Pluto. On March 13, 1855, Percival Lowell was born in Cambridge, to a wealthy Bostonian family. His parents were Augustus Lowell, a president of cotton companies and director of banks, and Katherine Bigelow Lawrence, daughter of Abbott Lawrence, a textile manufacturer and founder of the city of Lawrence, Massachusetts.... [tags: space pioneer, planet x theory]
824 words (2.4 pages)
- College Has Exceeded My Expectations A new place to live, new friends, a new diverse campus, new classes, and even a newfound freedom: that was what I found waiting from me the first day I moved up to Northern Arizona University. These were the things I was in search for when I was looking through all of the different colleges that I could possibly go to. NAU had them all but most importantly, NAU had a wonderful communications program, which just made everything a little better. Having lived in the same cozy house in Tucson for all my life, I wanted a change of scenery and from the hot climate.... [tags: Personal Narratives Flagstaff College Essays]
1061 words (3 pages)
- Flagstaff, Arizona Could a town really change me as much as I think. Flagstaff, Arizona is one of the coolest towns that I have ever been, but at the same time; one of the quirkiest. Is Flagstaff a small mountain town, a big city, a hip university town, or a large industrial center. The environment and culture of Flagstaff is extremely diverse, making it difficult for outsiders to find their place in Flagstaff. I often wonder how I ended up in this little town in the mountains. I came from a relatively large city in Indiana, but knew that I had to escape the Midwest’s conservative grasp.... [tags: Flagstaff Personal Narratives Essays]
705 words (2 pages)
- What does a New Years celebration look like in your family. My family does all sorts of abnormal activities that a “normal” American family would do. On another note, most of my family is American yes, but they are all chomorran, meaning that they are all from Guam, an island on the outskirts of Japan. My family New Years usually consists of looking perfect for family, a mouth watering surf and turf with a vast dinner, and breathtaking fireworks at my grandparents’ house. To look perfect for my family, I usually start the day by waking up right when the bright yellow sun is shining over the pine trees into my room window right onto my pale white face.... [tags: Family, New Year, Jeans, Fireworks]
875 words (2.5 pages)
- Flagstaff, AZ When you think of Arizona, you think of vast deserts with the sun that lasts the whole day. As you force your car north through the significant state, the seasons change before your eyes. Finally, in the middle of the state you reach the rich San Francisco Mountains. Once you see the peaks of the mountains you know you are close to Flagstaff, AZ. Flagstaff is the definition of a mountain town. There isn’t a person in the city that hasn’t hiked, skied or snow-boarded down these giant mountains.... [tags: Arizona Geography Essays]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- Produce a new look for a website. 3.1.2 Formal Report =================== The problem that was in need of solving was to produce a new look for wow.com to target the 17 to 25 year olds. The look that the company were trying to aim for was young, energetic, dynamic and flexible. I firstly set out by comparing some current documents such as flyers, letters and invoices. This helped me as I could gather the best parts from these documents and use them to give me ideas to create new ones. The documents that I selected had to be 3 of a kind that were from three companies with two of a flyer and a letter.... [tags: Computer Science]
662 words (1.9 pages)
- Skins: A whole new look on everything Concept Background: Dykstra's concepts of linear programming and modularity take on a whole new look. Peter Dykstra the father of linear programming suggested that anything that could be done in programming could be done with a combination of three basic procedures. Sequence- procedures performed in a linear order Decision- Expressions evaluated to determine between two routes of action. Repetition- The ability of a machine to perform an operation millions of times a second.... [tags: Peter Dykstra Technology Essays]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
Jim also taught me to play a new game called Nine Ball that I had never played before. In this game, we only used half the balls and each tried to get the balls in the pockets in numerical order. I think I lost almost every game that we played, but I still had a lot of fun playing. I had never been to a pool hall before and it was a lot different than I had imagined it. I thought pool halls were all like they are on television. The media always shows pool halls as smoky, disgusting and full of rough, mean people. The pool hall in Flagstaff is nothing like this and overall I had a really good experience.
My overall experience in Flagstaff has actually been really good for the few months I’ve been here. I thought the town would be hard to find my way around, but I’ve found it to be very simple. I thought the campus would be scary and I would have trouble making a lot of good friends. I’ve found that the friends I’ve made here have been the ones I keep in contact with the most. And walking around campus was no longer scary after the first few weeks of school. I’m glad I picked a smaller school where I always see a familiar face during my walks to classes.
I picked Flagstaff as the city where I wanted to go to school, because of the beautiful landscape. I love waking up in the morning and walking towards the mountains on my way to class. It seems to make my days more peaceful to begin my day looking at the beautiful scenery.
In the future, I would love to make Flagstaff my permanent home. This city has been really good for me and dealing with my stress. The peaceful surroundings have helped me to relax and only focus on things that are important to me. In high school, I was always so busy trying to do everything possible to stay involved in school. I would always be really stressed out and just have a bad attitude because I never had enough time to get everything done. I enjoy Flagstaff because I don’t have to do every activity to have fun. I’ve learned to relax and just have a better attitude about things in life. I’ve made more time for important things like hanging out with friends and keeping in touch with family and friends back home.
I never thought that I would want to stay in Flagstaff after college. I always thought of Flagstaff as the town where I would go to school, and then move back home. But now I’ve decided that I’ve found a part of home here and would love to make this my true home. I have good friends here and just feel comfortable being myself. Flagstaff is such a peaceful place to live and has been really good for me. This town has surpassed all my expectations and can’t imagine myself anywhere else.