Essay PreviewMore ↓
Perhaps “good advice” is best defined as advice that fits into our lives, and produces desirable results. Luke reacted to this statement with the following, “I don’t know that I agree with this [the previous sentence]...good advice can be received and disregarded just as easily as it can be used, and then we may never know the results.” If and when I disregard advice, I must not find it to be that good.
How well any advice fits into our lives and if we like the results is a harder thing to accomplish than one may think. If Kate had told me to “put my chin up and smile,” sure, Kate would be trying to help, but I was looking for something more specific that fit directly into my situation.
Good advice can come from absolutely anyone. In narratives from our class, advice came from friends, relatives, colleges, experts, and enemies. However, all the advice we consider good advice was given to the advisee as an option, not a command. “Good advice should not be pushed on a person,” said Jeff Stotko. Not many people were willing to accept advice from someone who was telling them what to do. Instead, good advice was the stuff we are told and then we have to decide what to do with it. Good advice has a tendency to take us away from our own point of view and explore more options to the situation. Had Jackie’s contractor flat out told her without explanation that she couldn’t put in the window, she probably wouldn’t have listened to him. Her daughter’s room would now be in the living room, literally. When he told her about the problem and gave her the time to figure out what she wanted to do on her own, the advice became good advice. It does this because it makes Jackie decide for herself. We want to live our own lives, right? We don’t want others to live them for us; we just want their input sometimes.
When the class looked at the three sections on contractions, it was pointed out that section A seemed to condemn contractions. We were all very wary to accept the paragraph which just stated without explanation that contractions are bad. The same goes for advice. I wouldn’t listen to someone who just says what I am doing is WRONG.
How to Cite this Page
"Defining Good Advice." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Defining Good Advice Good advice started out as something that I could grasp. It was something I was able to understand. But that all changed. What is it exactly that constitutes good advice. When we started this discussion a couple weeks ago, I knew what good advice was, or at least I thought I did. Good advice was something that came from the mouth of someone I respected and looked up to. It came from my parents, grandparents, and Davey, the man I wrote about in my narrative. Good advice usually lead to something good, but sometimes bad things were the result of that good advice.... [tags: Defintion Essays]
596 words (1.7 pages)
- Defining Good Advice Many times, good advice will happen if a person has gone astray, then, suggestions would be made to the lost and he could either take it or leave it. Also, as Doug mentioned in discussion, is that "it may be impossible to deny information given to you." So, in this case, the advisee knows what has been said to them, and "he may not take the advice at the time", but store it for later.(Nate Hall), and because of this, good, or bad advice, in my opinion, is also in the eye of the beholder.... [tags: Definition Essays]
495 words (1.4 pages)
- Defining "Good Advice" Perhaps “good advice” is best defined as advice that fits into our lives, and produces desirable results. Luke reacted to this statement with the following, “I don’t know that I agree with this [the previous sentence]...good advice can be received and disregarded just as easily as it can be used, and then we may never know the results.” If and when I disregard advice, I must not find it to be that good. How well any advice fits into our lives and if we like the results is a harder thing to accomplish than one may think.... [tags: Definition Essays]
763 words (2.2 pages)
- Defining Good Advice The first thing I know about good advice is that it can come from anyone. I found this out by looking at the narrative stories that we had to write in the beginning of this assignment. For example, J.Lutts got his advice from a friend, while Chris Lefstad got his advice from his uncle, and Nate Hilson and Nate Hall both got their advice from their parents. Although, Robyn Isaacs says, “Usually it (advice) is given to me by someone I know and trust on a personal level.” I don’t totally agree with this.... [tags: Definition Essays]
653 words (1.9 pages)
- Defining Good Advice Good advice is something that could be hard to come-by but once found can help a person in the long run. Good advice is usually taken from someone who is an expert, someone that the advisee respects (parent, elder, teacher, coach), or a friend. Advice can be used at any time. Any time you are stuck, or just in a situation in which you need help, or just advice to do a certain task, or to help you out in a situation is good advice if you use what they said and it works. If the advice isn't really used it's merely just information or a suggestion.... [tags: Psychology Advising Essays]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- Defining Good Usage There are thousands of pieces of advice about writing out there. Every English text book discusses it. Every person knows the rules to good writing by heart. In fact it is next to impossible to separate what we have been told from our own beliefs. Beliefs themselves are formed by what you are taught, yet they still allow you the freedom to do as you choose. This just does not seem to hold true. When good writing is taught to be the rule not something to be interpreted by the student.... [tags: Business Writing Essays]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- When you think of the word adult many things may come to mind; age, responsibility, being the bigger person and goals are just a few. Everyone eventually becomes an adult but just because you turn eighteen does not mean you should be considered as one. “I think one of the defining moments of adulthood is the realization that nobody 's going to take care of you. That you have to do the heavy lifting while you 're here. And when you don 't, well, you suffer the consequences.” (Adam Savage, brainyquote.com) Adulthood requires sacrifice and a good mindset.... [tags: Adult, Adulthood, English-language films]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- My most defining experience with osteopathic medicine was shadowing a family physician, Dr. Truong. I was impressed by his holistic, patient-centered care and his hands-on manipulative skills. Not only did he provide the medical treatment to his patients, but he cared for them mentally and spiritually. For example, he asked his patients about their life goals at their initial visit, and he reminded and encouraged them to work towards their goals during their future visits. He also promoted healthy lifestyle, such as eating low sugar, high vegetable diet and doing exercises regularly.... [tags: Physician, Medicine, Alternative medicine]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- The word professionalism is often referred to as person's attitude, behaviour , and capabilities in their job[HEATHER A. SMITH]. Maister explains, being professional does not necessary describe a person with a set of job qualifications, it is rather a status one have to earn in the eyes of others. So what describes true professionalism. There is no generally adopted norm of what constitutes professionalism, what defines professionalism in one company may not apply somewhere else, however, it is recognized that manners and appearance are inseparable part of it.... [tags: communication, ethics, standards]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- Good Advice When we first started to talk about good advice, I didn't fully understand what makes good advice, well, good. "Advice is advice." I said to myself, walking home from class trying to think of where to start. As the subject grew in class, everybody started to get deeper into the subject until we all had a well-based understanding on what good advice is. Everyone had a little different perspective than everybody else, which made the subject very interesting. I realized that there are many requirements for good advice.... [tags: Advice Philosophical Papers]
1314 words (3.8 pages)
Good advice, as it has been said by Nate Hilson and Lee Lamon, must be between at least two people. I don’t know if this is always true. I have given myself some awesome advice. If I take myself out of the situation and look at it as if I was helping a friend it seems to work really well. Just like any other advice, I don’t always take my own advice, but it is possible to advise yourself. Good advice cuts through the bull shit, as M.C. Morgan pointed out. When I called Kate she knew I wasn’t great, even if I told her I was. Sometimes, however, I am the only one who can cut through my own crap.
Good advice, has to start somewhere. Either someone asks, or someone starts telling. Advice has to be communicated. Unless you are advising yourself, it is usually a verbal or written exchange. Good advice, is advice that opens up options for the advisee, not by telling them what to do, but instead by sparking a thought process for the advisee to figure it out on their own.
Wow, definitely a connection to good writing.
Good writing doesn’t tell a reader, “this is bad” and “this is good.” Instead it states certain things and leaves out others. In our descriptions the reader had to decide between attractive and unattractive. Words were carefully chosen to “advise” the reader in either direction, but they were not told what to think. Advisors also pick their words carefully to get a certain point across. For instance, Luke's sponsor could have said, “You are not racing for the right reason. I won’t sponsor you to just win.” Instead he told Luke about people who just go out there to win and that it is always a good idea to question your own motives. Had his sponsor approached Luke in the first way, his response would have been very different. Descriptions can be attractive and unattractive and still be accurate. Advice can be positive and negative, and still be valid. Good advice or bad advice, it is all just advice.