Essay PreviewMore ↓
Good advice started out as something that I could grasp. It was something I was able to understand. But that all changed. What is it exactly that constitutes good advice? When we started this discussion a couple weeks ago, I knew what good advice was, or at least I thought I did. Good advice was something that came from the mouth of someone I respected and looked up to. It came from my parents, grandparents, and Davey, the man I wrote about in my narrative. Good advice usually lead to something good, but sometimes bad things were the result of that good advice. Consider the situation of me telling on my best friend for drinking. Davey told me, “stick to your guns, Perp.” And I did. I told on my best friend. “Everybody turned their heads when I walked by in school.” That couldn’t have been “good advice”.
So if good advice can lead to bad things, then how can it be considered good advice? Well, I have tried to look at it in a simple way, but it just got more and more complex. Maybe it can be related to Douglas Crane’s comment about example C on contractions. “This part I would love to toss out and never consider, but it’s impossible to deny the information given.” And, as I said in our discussion on contractions, “I have no need for example C because it is way too much information for me right now. But who knows, maybe later I might need that much info, but as for now I don’t.” Was I really ready for his advice? Looking back, I don’t think I was, being sixteen and all. And that is what made his good advice so hard to understand. My mind could not comprehend the “big picture”. But Davey’s mind could. He had already been sixteen. He absolutely knew that it would help me in the future. I am now twenty years old and a little more wiser, which made me come to the conclusion that Davey was right, because even though his advice ended up hurting me, I am a stronger person now because of it. I still use his advice today, even with the negative consequences involved. Some people have told me I am stubborn. I just tell them that I am “sticking to my guns”.
Advice can be given in any manner, but that doesn’t make it good or bad advice.
How to Cite this Page
"Defining Good Advice." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Defining Good Advice Good advice started out as something that I could grasp. It was something I was able to understand. But that all changed. What is it exactly that constitutes good advice. When we started this discussion a couple weeks ago, I knew what good advice was, or at least I thought I did. Good advice was something that came from the mouth of someone I respected and looked up to. It came from my parents, grandparents, and Davey, the man I wrote about in my narrative. Good advice usually lead to something good, but sometimes bad things were the result of that good advice.... [tags: Defintion Essays]
596 words (1.7 pages)
- Defining Good Advice Many times, good advice will happen if a person has gone astray, then, suggestions would be made to the lost and he could either take it or leave it. Also, as Doug mentioned in discussion, is that "it may be impossible to deny information given to you." So, in this case, the advisee knows what has been said to them, and "he may not take the advice at the time", but store it for later.(Nate Hall), and because of this, good, or bad advice, in my opinion, is also in the eye of the beholder.... [tags: Definition Essays]
495 words (1.4 pages)
- Defining "Good Advice" Perhaps “good advice” is best defined as advice that fits into our lives, and produces desirable results. Luke reacted to this statement with the following, “I don’t know that I agree with this [the previous sentence]...good advice can be received and disregarded just as easily as it can be used, and then we may never know the results.” If and when I disregard advice, I must not find it to be that good. How well any advice fits into our lives and if we like the results is a harder thing to accomplish than one may think.... [tags: Definition Essays]
763 words (2.2 pages)
- Defining Good Advice The first thing I know about good advice is that it can come from anyone. I found this out by looking at the narrative stories that we had to write in the beginning of this assignment. For example, J.Lutts got his advice from a friend, while Chris Lefstad got his advice from his uncle, and Nate Hilson and Nate Hall both got their advice from their parents. Although, Robyn Isaacs says, “Usually it (advice) is given to me by someone I know and trust on a personal level.” I don’t totally agree with this.... [tags: Definition Essays]
653 words (1.9 pages)
- Defining Good Advice Good advice is something that could be hard to come-by but once found can help a person in the long run. Good advice is usually taken from someone who is an expert, someone that the advisee respects (parent, elder, teacher, coach), or a friend. Advice can be used at any time. Any time you are stuck, or just in a situation in which you need help, or just advice to do a certain task, or to help you out in a situation is good advice if you use what they said and it works. If the advice isn't really used it's merely just information or a suggestion.... [tags: Psychology Advising Essays]
861 words (2.5 pages)
- Defining Good Usage There are thousands of pieces of advice about writing out there. Every English text book discusses it. Every person knows the rules to good writing by heart. In fact it is next to impossible to separate what we have been told from our own beliefs. Beliefs themselves are formed by what you are taught, yet they still allow you the freedom to do as you choose. This just does not seem to hold true. When good writing is taught to be the rule not something to be interpreted by the student.... [tags: Business Writing Essays]
1167 words (3.3 pages)
- When you think of the word adult many things may come to mind; age, responsibility, being the bigger person and goals are just a few. Everyone eventually becomes an adult but just because you turn eighteen does not mean you should be considered as one. “I think one of the defining moments of adulthood is the realization that nobody 's going to take care of you. That you have to do the heavy lifting while you 're here. And when you don 't, well, you suffer the consequences.” (Adam Savage, brainyquote.com) Adulthood requires sacrifice and a good mindset.... [tags: Adult, Adulthood, English-language films]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- My most defining experience with osteopathic medicine was shadowing a family physician, Dr. Truong. I was impressed by his holistic, patient-centered care and his hands-on manipulative skills. Not only did he provide the medical treatment to his patients, but he cared for them mentally and spiritually. For example, he asked his patients about their life goals at their initial visit, and he reminded and encouraged them to work towards their goals during their future visits. He also promoted healthy lifestyle, such as eating low sugar, high vegetable diet and doing exercises regularly.... [tags: Physician, Medicine, Alternative medicine]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- The word professionalism is often referred to as person's attitude, behaviour , and capabilities in their job[HEATHER A. SMITH]. Maister explains, being professional does not necessary describe a person with a set of job qualifications, it is rather a status one have to earn in the eyes of others. So what describes true professionalism. There is no generally adopted norm of what constitutes professionalism, what defines professionalism in one company may not apply somewhere else, however, it is recognized that manners and appearance are inseparable part of it.... [tags: communication, ethics, standards]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- Good Advice When we first started to talk about good advice, I didn't fully understand what makes good advice, well, good. "Advice is advice." I said to myself, walking home from class trying to think of where to start. As the subject grew in class, everybody started to get deeper into the subject until we all had a well-based understanding on what good advice is. Everyone had a little different perspective than everybody else, which made the subject very interesting. I realized that there are many requirements for good advice.... [tags: Advice Philosophical Papers]
1314 words (3.8 pages)