Essay PreviewMore ↓
Good advice is in the eye of the beholder. Advice needs to be relative to the situation. If something is missing from advice the whole topic may be dismissed. If there is too much some info may be missed because some is forgotten or attention diverted.
For advice to be good options should present themselves. I won't want to be told there is only one way to do something. No straight forward answer should ultimately clinch it for me. I'd want insight from a variety of sources. Such as verbal and non-verbal, sentences and actions. Cautioning against something too much may have the reverse effect, every once in a while I've been known to see what will happen, even if guided to do otherwise.
The same advice given to two different people may trigger different actions. My mother has said this to me "Save your money for something you really want" when I was young, like age 9, I ignored this advice because I wasn't ready for it and I "wanted" candy. My age, 18, allows me to listen better save it for college or to buy a car. The older I got the more willing I was to accept advice. It all depended on what I was thinking and feeling at a particular time or age. Or 18 year olds, like some of my friends could disregard the advice as well and just "want" to party.
To me good advice comes from someone I respect or even want to be like. However, if that person is on the wrong track with advice then they could lead me astray. Their so-called good advice may be the worst advice I could ever receive. Taking advice has to be a judgment call as well as a learning process. If I were to choose the wrong path it would be no one's fault but my own.
I usually want drawn out examples of situations in order to choose what advice is good for me and what is not. Yet my brother wants advice straight to the point and easy to refer back to. Then sometimes I want a little of both. To me the somewhat drawn out examples help me to choose the path to go. With more examples I'm bound to remember at least one if not more. The short, but not always sweet, explanations may leave room for interpretation which occasionally have led me to the eve of destruction.
How to Cite this Page
"The Challenge of Good Advice." 123HelpMe.com. 25 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The leadership challenge is all about how leaders mobilize others to make great things happen in an organization (Kouzes &Posner, 2012). It is based off the leader’s practices and how they work together as a team to innovate, challenge and reward others in any given situation. It’s about getting others to follow the leader and tag along on the leadership journey. There are five practices that Kouzes and Posner discuss in the book and they are as follows: model the way, inspire a shared vision, challenge the process, enable others to act, and encouraging the heart.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Bank]
1615 words (4.6 pages)
- Berendt's Attitude in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil "The biggest challenge . . . is finding characters worth writing about, " says John Berendt, author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. "I found a mother lode in Savannah" (Anderson 18). Berendt conveys certain attitudes towards different characters and events. He takes the same explorative and open approach to each person and situation, but his final attitudes towards them are quite varied. He behaves very differently around Jim Williams than around Joe Odom and his crew, and differently from all of them when around Lee Adler.... [tags: Midnight Garden Good Evil]
788 words (2.3 pages)
- Problem Solving Essay Taking things personally can be a challenge for many people. When we take things personally, we are giving people more power over us than what they deserve. Taking things personally has also been an important issue that Don Miguel Ruiz has discussed in his book The Four Agreements. He explains his book that we must learn not to take things personally or we will always be faced with needless suffering. Taking things personally is difficult for people to overcome because we feel hurt, insulted, and angry because of someone, we gain a certain degree of emotional detachment from them period.... [tags: Suffering, Emotion, Problem solving, Debut albums]
1309 words (3.7 pages)
- There are many challenges being a coach or any type of leader. If you are in either of these positions a big challenge would be how to make your organization better than others. Coaches need to come up with a game plan to outperform other teams. This is extremely hard when there are tons of other coaches also trying to do the same thing. The second challenge is implementing the plan you do create. A coach needs to not only be an expert at how to be better than other teams, but also be a proficient teacher.... [tags: Coaching, Management, Leadership, Challenge]
838 words (2.4 pages)
- From my observations, the third problem and another new teachers’ big challenge is classroom management. The new teachers are particularly unprepared for dealing with behavior problems in their classrooms. Per Melnick & Meister (2008, p.3), “Teachers with three years or fewer on the job are more than twice as likely as teachers with more experience (19 percent versus 7 percent) to say that student behavior is a problem in their classrooms.” According to the article, many beginning teachers responded that their preservice programs did very little to prepare them for the realities of classrooms, including dealing with unruly students.... [tags: Education, Psychology, Lesson plan, Behavior]
819 words (2.3 pages)
- Breaking Down Barriers with Positive Feedback Each one of you is faced with the challenge of giving feedback each day. Whether it is on a stimulating topic in class or something as simple as telling a friend whether or not you like the outfit that they have on, giving feedback is something that everyone has had experience with. However trivial this process may seem, it is imperative that one understands its importance. This semester I took a course called En101, or College Writing. In this class we are required to give feedback on essays and articles.... [tags: Education Feedback Advice Essays]
1340 words (3.8 pages)
- Children are the future of the world and need to be nurtured and educated in the best conditions. Thus, parenting is one of the most challenging and admirable responsibilities that people can experience. Parenting plays important roles in the development of children’s characteristics. Some people nurture children depending on their own ways. Others get advice from friends or books. Parenting can be divided into three groups: authoritative, permissive, and democratic parenting. The first group is authoritative parenting.... [tags: Parenting, children, family, parenting styles,]
695 words (2 pages)
- Being a good student can be attributed to my father’s constant demands for excellent grades. He finished his career with a red diploma and a summa cum laude seal, so he clearly expected similar results from his son. I constantly emulated with him, and as a result of aiming so high, I was able to finish my degree in chemical engineering with the highest cumulative GPA of my class. Being a good student in the US is relatively easier than in Cuba, just attempting to understand those Russian science books was a real challenge.... [tags: Physician, Medicine, Health care, Medical school]
797 words (2.3 pages)
- In life, we all face responsibility and challenges to some degree. Some people may have lots of responsibility and challenges on their hands when others have very little of it. But in the eyes many, parenting would have to be one of the most demanding jobs due to the huge amounts of responsibility, challenge, and guidance involved. Being a parent is never easy as there will be ups and downs as time moves on. At the end of the day, it’s the parents who shape the children- influencing their everyday lives.... [tags: To Kill a Mockingbird analysis]
666 words (1.9 pages)
- Good Advice When we first started to talk about good advice, I didn't fully understand what makes good advice, well, good. "Advice is advice." I said to myself, walking home from class trying to think of where to start. As the subject grew in class, everybody started to get deeper into the subject until we all had a well-based understanding on what good advice is. Everyone had a little different perspective than everybody else, which made the subject very interesting. I realized that there are many requirements for good advice.... [tags: Advice Philosophical Papers]
1314 words (3.8 pages)
Presentation is another key to good advice. If I were getting advice from a shady individual I would most likely ignore them. Since his advice and view of life probably got him going in the wrong direction in the first place. Or if someone told me something sarcastically, with little eye contact, angrily, or if the person says something and they themselves don't go by it then the advice would have little meaning to me. This person may one day tell their child, "Do as I say, not as I do."
Examples as I've mentioned before are essential. If I were told "Don't take the money" someone would have to have a good reason for me to take their advice. Such as: "That would be stealing", "You'll have to pay 25% interest on it", or "Where do you think that has been?". Any one of those would tell me to leave the money in the place that it stands.
People are giving me advice all over the place. There is no way that I can do it all, or want to. I'm the only one that can decide what advice is relevant and what isn't. My ego, Freudian term, is one of the mediators in this world that helps me decide what is good and what is bad when it comes to advice, along with a little bit of help from my friends, and parents.