Essay PreviewMore ↓
Good advice has a different meaning for everyone. For me, good advice must be given by someone I trust. They need to be honest and sincere in what they tell me. They must lay the facts down in front of me and tell me what they would do in my situation. In the end the adviser must let me decide to use their advice. If it is good advice what they told me will change my view or action for the better.
As I looked back to the notes I had, I made the observation that good advice involves people we trust. Sometimes the people we trust and turn to advice for is our friends. Take for example that, Luke, John, Mike, Cale, Joe, Kristi, and myself choose to use our friends to illustrate good advice. They seem to tell you the truth no matter how it will make you feel because they love you. Others choose their parents. Nate, Jeanne, Rebecca, had their mothers being the advisor. Chris, Nate Hilson, Douglas, and Andrea had their fathers. It seemed to me that they choose for the most part to have the advice come from the parent of the same gender. Sons had their dads and daughters had their mothers as advisor. Maybe this was so because they could relate more with them and had more of a closeness. Still others in the class illustrated good advice from teachers or counselors. Amanda, Lee, and Jackie Brooks took advice from those.
Advice works when it is taken or not taken, but is clearly the right way to go. Advice that works doesn’t have to be deep or inspirational. Take for example when a mother gives her children the advice to but a jacket on because it is cold outside. It is nothing new, it is just because she is concerned about her children and knows from experience that when it is cold you need a jacket.
Also, in my example, the friend that gave me good advice wasn’t being pushy or saying you have to do this or else. She left it up to me. This means for good advice to work that it must be left up to the person to follow. Nobody likes to be told what to do. They resent it when they are and probably won’t go back for advice again. I know I wouldn’t.
Advice that doesn’t work is simple, it doesn’t have a good outcome when followed.
How to Cite this Page
"Good Advice." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Good Advice is Hard to Find Advice is something that is very important in my life and in the life of most others. It allows us to ask another person their feelings and experiences about certain situations they have encountered in his/hers lifetime and then attempt use that information to help yourself. Good advice however is hard to come by. My dad has many stories that begin with, “Well when I was your age…” This is an example of bad advice. It is hard to relate what he experienced to my life, because of the generations of difference.... [tags: Personal Narratives]
686 words (2 pages)
- Good Advice is Difficult to Define Advice is hollow, if you don’t know the history of the problem, or the amount of discomfort it is causing. When an expert relays advice or information they will not know the history or comfort level of their reader and will tend to try to generalize or speak to every possible situation. When the class considered the expert’s advice on contractions it was impossible for these authors to speak to their concerns and individual situations. I have very little experience in dispensing advice through writing to a large audience.... [tags: Definition Essays]
706 words (2 pages)
- The Challenge of Good Advice Good advice is in the eye of the beholder. Advice needs to be relative to the situation. If something is missing from advice the whole topic may be dismissed. If there is too much some info may be missed because some is forgotten or attention diverted. For advice to be good options should present themselves. I won't want to be told there is only one way to do something. No straight forward answer should ultimately clinch it for me. I'd want insight from a variety of sources.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Autobiographical Essay]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- Good Advice I consider good advice to be a balanced combination of many things. To me, the most important is that when I receive advice, it must not be forced onto me. When advice is truly sincere, it is given to me in the hopes that I might take it, but it should never make me feel guilty if I don't. A perfect example of a forced piece of advice, is article A that we read about contractions. To me, this article didn't advise the reader about what not to do, but it told them. It pretty much said that you "can" do this and you "can't" do that.... [tags: Psychology Advising Essays]
829 words (2.4 pages)
- Good Advice Good advice has a different meaning for everyone. For me, good advice must be given by someone I trust. They need to be honest and sincere in what they tell me. They must lay the facts down in front of me and tell me what they would do in my situation. In the end the adviser must let me decide to use their advice. If it is good advice what they told me will change my view or action for the better. As I looked back to the notes I had, I made the observation that good advice involves people we trust.... [tags: Psychology Advising Essays]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- Good Advice Good advice is different for everyone and is distinct each time you receive it. Sometimes I receive advice and don’t realize what it is until I actually need to apply it. This occurred in Andrea Kunze’s paper. Her dad had always warned her that boys were the devil and on her first day of school the advice he had been giving her all along suddenly could make sense. Some advice I’m given allows me to ponder over options I hadn’t thought of before. Other times who ever happens to be helping me envisions a solution that is a variation of what I had contemplated.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Autobiographical Essay]
643 words (1.8 pages)
- Defining Good Advice What is good advice. As Rosymar stated, "Good advice is general, specific, and a helpful idea that could transmit confidence and security, usually, we get it from someone we trust." Good advice, to me, is some help in life that comes from a person that the advisee trusts. Advice is good when it is given thoughtfully to a person. It has to be from the heart, not just said for the sake of being said. Generally, good advice has to come from experience. I can't tell a friend that I understand a situation if I have never experienced it myself.... [tags: Definition Essays]
492 words (1.4 pages)
- Defining Good Advice Good advice started out as something that I could grasp. It was something I was able to understand. But that all changed. What is it exactly that constitutes good advice. When we started this discussion a couple weeks ago, I knew what good advice was, or at least I thought I did. Good advice was something that came from the mouth of someone I respected and looked up to. It came from my parents, grandparents, and Davey, the man I wrote about in my narrative. Good advice usually lead to something good, but sometimes bad things were the result of that good advice.... [tags: Defintion Essays]
596 words (1.7 pages)
- Defining "Good Advice" Perhaps “good advice” is best defined as advice that fits into our lives, and produces desirable results. Luke reacted to this statement with the following, “I don’t know that I agree with this [the previous sentence]...good advice can be received and disregarded just as easily as it can be used, and then we may never know the results.” If and when I disregard advice, I must not find it to be that good. How well any advice fits into our lives and if we like the results is a harder thing to accomplish than one may think.... [tags: Definition Essays]
763 words (2.2 pages)
- Defining Good Advice The first thing I know about good advice is that it can come from anyone. I found this out by looking at the narrative stories that we had to write in the beginning of this assignment. For example, J.Lutts got his advice from a friend, while Chris Lefstad got his advice from his uncle, and Nate Hilson and Nate Hall both got their advice from their parents. Although, Robyn Isaacs says, “Usually it (advice) is given to me by someone I know and trust on a personal level.” I don’t totally agree with this.... [tags: Definition Essays]
653 words (1.9 pages)
I think there is a connect between good advice and good writing, however it is a weak one. When we write well our point is seen to the reader. They get what we are trying to relay in our writing. Likewise, when good advice is given it is seen by the receiver. They can see where we are coming from and why the advice will work. Advice does depend on the language used. For me personally, to except advice it must be given with good, easy to swallow medicine. It can't be harsh. Take for example, if someone who was trying to give me good advice and they said such things as, “ You would be a retard not to follow it.” or “Are you stupid? My way is the only way to get out of this.” I would just stop listening to them and would either look for advice some where else or try to figure it out on my own. However, if you were to say, “ If I was you I would do this...” or “ When I was in a same situation, I tried this.” I would be much more open to listening to them and following their advice. They showed me respect through the choice of words they used. Language used does mean a difference between good advice and bad.