Essay PreviewMore ↓
Advice, in my mind, is a form of one person helping another person out; whether it is in words or actions. About 90% of the time, I believe advice comes in the form of words. Advice can be verbally spoken to somebody, or typed/written and given to somebody. In either example, it's advice that's being given to help somebody out. The other way I mentioned was advice given by actions. In my own life, I'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes and finding it hard; especially when I look around and see others doing it. However, the advice I receive when I look around are from those not smoking and those hacking and spitting because they smoke. It's sort of subliminal for me in the sense that I'll be hacking and spitting if I don't quit. So they're giving advice to me in the form of their actions.
In mentioning what advice is and how it's given, I ask myself how it works. This happens to be a rough question seeing how advice isn't this little piece of gum on the bottom of my shoe that I can just pick off and toss away. So know I find help in the example of John Sweat and his mechanic friend to help explain how advice works. John was stuck in a pickle jar and wasn't sure what to do. But his friend knew where he was in the jar (because he had been there himself), and decided to offer some advice. John was able to get unstuck because he listened to his friend and took his advice, believing that his friend knew what he was speaking about, and sensing his sincerity. By looking at this example, I have come to the conclusion that advice works when one person takes a conscious (or in my smoking example - an unconscious) effort, to give somebody an honest, experienced point-of-view about a situation in order to give that person help. From there, the advice will only work if the person receiving the advice takes it to heart and uses it.
OK, so if this is how it works, what are some ways that it doesn't work? Well, it doesn't work when the advice giver is trying to use his advice given for his own personal gain. I believe the dark forces are at work here and therefore, they cannot succeed! Another way advice given doesn't work is when the person receiving the advice doesn't take it, like in my example of getting advice from my Dad.
How to Cite this Page
"How Do You Define Advice." 123HelpMe.com. 17 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Good Advice is Difficult to Define Advice is hollow, if you don’t know the history of the problem, or the amount of discomfort it is causing. When an expert relays advice or information they will not know the history or comfort level of their reader and will tend to try to generalize or speak to every possible situation. When the class considered the expert’s advice on contractions it was impossible for these authors to speak to their concerns and individual situations. I have very little experience in dispensing advice through writing to a large audience.... [tags: Definition Essays]
706 words (2 pages)
- How Does One Define Good Advice. I believe that a good advice is a truthful, general, specific and helpful idea given by someone that we know and trust. This idea usually transmits confidence and security in a time we need to make an important decision. Also, I would say that a good advice is an opinion given by someone that is prepared in a specific field. Usually they are called advisors or counselors, and they try to help people to guide their decisions, with a truthful, precise and accurate opinion that could even refer to their own past experiences.... [tags: Defintion Essays]
485 words (1.4 pages)
- ... On arrival, notable would pay homage to the new king and present him with gifts and their insignia of office. The coronation ceremony officially ended when the king spoke the words "Everyone resumes his office.” the Laws of Hammurabi, kings had numerous functions and duties to carry out. These included administering and obeying the law, and maintaining security and order for his subjects. During times of war and conflict, a king was expected to act as his country's military leader. In addition, a king was expected to be a role model to his people.... [tags: afterlife, egypt, death]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Define and discuss the traditional role of a narrator Within a Blood Brothers. Compare the role of the narrator in the Play Blood Brothers and consider how you Would present the narrator to an audience if you were the director. Blood Brothers Essay Define and discuss the traditional role of a narrator. Within a Blood Brothers. Compare the role of the narrator in the Play Blood Brothers and consider how you. Would present the narrator to an audience if you were the director. The dictionary definition of narrate – VT (a story) to tell, relate; to give an account of; (film, TV) to provide a spoken commentary for narration n – narrator n...... [tags: Drama]
1436 words (4.1 pages)
- No one is perfect and my representation here of a Millennial candidate and Boomer hiring manager isn’t either. However, recently I read an article in the New York Times about a 37% unemployment rate for the Millennial generation. This is for the recent graduate who is still living at home, surfing the ‘net and trying to find a job. While you are looking: 1. Build your personal brand online everyday. Build a public portfolio of anything you have ever worked on that is relevant to your job search.... [tags: Employment]
1612 words (4.6 pages)
- High school is fun when you get to know the different types of people there. If you don’t, you get confused and frustrated because you meet all these different types of people, and you can’t find the ones you have things in common with. No worries. I am here to help. I have provided a guide that will give you the attributes of the different types of high school students and help you to quickly identify them. When I got into high school, it took me a while to put majority of these students into these four major groups.... [tags: high school, student types, highschoolers]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Being a Good Leader in the Marines “In order to be a good leader, there are two things to remember. Lead from the Front and always set the Example. From these two leadership principles, everything else will fall into place.” These are the words that have ended all of my counseling sheets with since I began writing them as a Corporal and will continue to do as long as I counsel Marines. I was brought up in the Marine Corps with this philosophy and have adopted it as my own. Leading from the front is often times one of the leadership principles that is easier said by some than actually done.... [tags: Marines Leadership Counseling Advice Essays]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- How do you define “community”. According to Meriam-Webster, community is defined as “a group of people who live in the same area (such as a city, town, or neighborhood)” and “a group of people who have the same interests, religion, race, etc”. Many people think of a community as a group of people interacting in a common location. However, to me, a community is a network of people with a common goal, agenda, or concern, individuals who collaborate with one another by sharing information, ideas and other resources.... [tags: University, Student, Person, Definition]
928 words (2.7 pages)
- Good Advice When we first started to talk about good advice, I didn't fully understand what makes good advice, well, good. "Advice is advice." I said to myself, walking home from class trying to think of where to start. As the subject grew in class, everybody started to get deeper into the subject until we all had a well-based understanding on what good advice is. Everyone had a little different perspective than everybody else, which made the subject very interesting. I realized that there are many requirements for good advice.... [tags: Advice Philosophical Papers]
1314 words (3.8 pages)
- Patriotism Patriotism is defined as a love for or a devotion to one’s country. With the events that happened in America on September 11th, patriotism has been in everyone’s mind and heart. Young men and women have been enlisting in the armed forces to support America. Americans are flying flags on their cars and homes to show their patriotism. Millions of Americans are donating money and blood in support of the victims of the attacks. I would define patriotism as a loyalty and commitment to America and the people in our country.... [tags: Definition of patriotism]
650 words (1.9 pages)
Some words that are related to advice are - caution, forewarn, discuss, consult, counsel, recommend, and suggest. Sometimes, I must caution and forewarn people of things to do and not to do in life. To do this properly, I must consult them and discuss with them the outcomes of their decisions if they don't heed the warnings. I am sort of like a counselor when I am recommending and suggesting different forms of advice.
Is there a connection between good advice and good writing? I believe that good writing can make for good advice and that good advice can make for good writing. Good writing can build ideas and concerns in the reader's mind that can help them make good advice for themselves. It can also help create ideas and concerns in the reader’s mind to give someone else. Mr. Morgan has proven that good advice can make for good writing. He gives advice and that helps to open my eyes to my mind's possibilities of where and how to take my paper to the next level. If I were to call that "bogus", that would be to call Morgan's job "bogus", and what he's doing for me is far from "bogus".