Essay PreviewMore ↓
Computers are one of the most popular kinds of electronic devices in the world today. Whether kid or adult, male or female, everyone wants to learn how to operate the computer. People use computers for different purposes such as typing papers, creating websites, making presentations, browsing on the internet, playing games, etc. In fact, many people are still confused about choosing what kind of computer they want to buy. In the world today, there are two types of computers: notebook/laptop and desktop. They both are actually very different in several ways. In this paper, I will compare the size, connectivity, power, and price of notebook and desktop computers. I can make these comparisons because I have both a notebook and a desktop computer in my apartment.
Size is one of the major concerns for people who want to buy a computer. A notebook/laptop tends to be smaller than a desktop computer. This makes the notebook more convenient to use than a desktop computer. Because of the size, the components, which are built inside a notebook, are relatively small as well. Components of a computer consist of: microprocessor, memory, disk drivers, motherboard, sound card, input/output port, and power supply. Moreover, notebooks seem to be lighter than desktop computers. This also makes a very difference for the users. A notebook's weight will be about 10 pounds or less. Because of this weight, notebook can be brought anywhere easily. Many people use notebooks for business purposes so they can bring their notebook everywhere.
On the other hand, a desktop computer's weight is more than 20 pounds. Because of this, desktop computers are used by people who stay at home most of the time. Besides that, a notebook is built as a fixed computer. In other words, all the components used to build a notebook cannot be changed if something is broken, or all the components cannot be upgraded as a user desires. On the other hand, a desktop computer seems to be less complicated than a notebook because all the components inside the desktop computer can be changed as the user desires. Because of these changes, a desktop computer has more memory capacity than a notebook.
Besides size, connectivity is also an important aspect in order to operate the computers correctly. The connectivity that I mean is an internet connection. There are several components that are used to connect the computers to the internet such as modem, Digital Subscriber Line (DSL), wireless, etc.
How to Cite this Page
"Comparing Notebook and Desktop Computers." 123HelpMe.com. 17 Jul 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- CONTENTS Introduction 1 The role of computer systems in different environments 1 School 2 Bank 3 Police Station 3 The hardware, software, and peripheral components of a computer system 4 Hardware 4 Software 8 Peripherals 8 INTRODUCTION The following document will cover these subjects: • Explaining the role of a computer system in different environments. • Explaining the hardware, software and peripheral components of a computer system. • Comparing different types of computer systems. THE ROLE OF COMPUTER SYSTEMS IN DIFFERENT ENVIRONMENTS This part of the document will be explaining the role of computer systems.... [tags: environment, hardware, software]
2835 words (8.1 pages)
- Today, computers are becoming more essential and demanding than they were ten years ago. No matter where we go, we find all forms of computers. When we think of computers most people are thinking laptops or PDA’s. In this case, I’m thinking of desktop computers. Desktop computers are one of the man types of computers available today. People are overwhelmed of all the types of computers that constantly change as time progresses. From my point of view as a future computer technician, we can classify the types of desktop computers under these three categories, I call them the original desktop tower, the All-in-one desktop, and the gaming desktop.... [tags: information technology]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- A desktop computer consists of separate components connected by cables. It uses the mains supply as its only source of power, and it is not portable. The features to look at when planning to buy a desktop include speed, memory, monitor size and type, ports and drives. You may also want to consider the cost. The speed of the processor determines how fast a computer is. A desktop of around 2.5GHz is suitable for almost any student. The next feature is memory. One type of memory, known as RAM, is used to run programs.... [tags: tips, Computer,]
562 words (1.6 pages)
- The Desktop Computer When you mention the word "technology," most people think about computers. Virtually every facet of our lives has some computerized component. The appliances in our homes have microprocessors built into them, as do our televisions. Even our cars have a computer. But the computer that everyone thinks of first is typically the personal computer, or PC.A PC is a general-purpose tool built around a microprocessor. It has lots of different parts - memory, a hard disk, a modem, etc.... [tags: computers technology Technological Essays]
2553 words (7.3 pages)
- Desktop Computer vs. Laptop Computers The invention of computers has made a huge change in human civilization and society, by changing the way people think. Computers replaced jobs and tedious repetitive thoughts that were done by human originally. People became more and more reliant on computers, and thus, computers became essential to our lives. Computers can manufacture products quickly, and eliminate possible human errors. As technology progresses, new ideas have been brought into computer to make them perform more efficiently.... [tags: Compare Contrast Technology Essays Papers]
1355 words (3.9 pages)
- We’ve come a long way from the first successful portable computer. The Osborne, was introduced in 1981 and weighed 25 pounds, it came with 64 kilobits of memory. The Osborne’s limited capacity and portability made it awkward compared to today’s notebooks. And the cost was close to $1800, that’s not to affordable for the 1980’s. Through relentless pursuit of technology, notebooks of today are just a step-down from the desktop PC. The notebooks of today are lightweight, weighing about 7 pounds and just as functional as your home computer.... [tags: essays research papers]
3282 words (9.4 pages)
- Notebook Computers Imagine working on your English papers sitting comfortably on your couch in front of the TV, or working outside on a beautiful day. This dream could be a reality for those who purchase a notebook computer. Today's notebooks have just as much computing power as desktop models but are more compact, and with wireless internet access are now more portable than ever. This paper will give a brief history of notebook computers, explain how they work, and compare a couple models.... [tags: Technology Informative Essays Laptop]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- Classifications of Computers According to the U.S. Census "Forty-four million households, or 42 percent, had at least one member who used the Internet at home in 2000" (Home Computers 2). Today, no doubt, even more family members in the United States use computers. Most people are aware of the desktop computers which can be found in the home and in the workplace. What are the different types of computers and what are their purposes. Computers can be classified into three different categories of home computers, portable computers, and business computers including workstations and super computers.... [tags: Computer PC Desktop Technology]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- The Notebook is a phenomenal film with incredible performances and many heartfelt moments from beginning to end. It is a love story that many of us fantasize of living someday. The story unfolds in recent times at a Nursing home with the introduction of an elderly lady (Gena Rowlands) who is being visited by an old man, known as Duke (James Garner), who also resides in the nursing home, and he's there to read her a story. He begins to read about a young girl named Allie (Rachel McAdams) who was visiting a cousin one summer in the late 1940s.... [tags: Film Movie Notebook Essays Movies]
450 words (1.3 pages)
- TABLET PCs Combines Simplicity of Paper with Full Power of Windows-Based Computing For the past few years, the Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) has grown tremendously popular. However, due to size restrictions, it has always served as a secondary device to the desktop computer. So a number of hardware manufacturers unveiled a new form of communication, the Tablet PC. What exactly is a Tablet PC. It is a notebook PC with a touch-sensitive screen and is a bit larger than the size of a sheet of paper.... [tags: Technology Computers]
1318 words (3.8 pages)
their computers to the internet easily. There are many places that provide a wireless internet connection such as airports, cafes, campuses around universities, etc. So users can easily bring their notebooks to those places that provide a wireless internet connection and it will be connected to the internet automatically.
Wireless pc cardWireless Access Point
In terms of power, a desktop computer seems to be more reliable than a notebook/laptop. This is because the power supply for the notebook comes from the battery. The battery needs to be charged all the time. Most of the time, the battery of the notebook runs out quickly. The longest time that the battery of the notebook can last is about four hours. When the battery of the notebook runs out, the users will not be able to carry away their notebooks freely because they have to charge the battery through electricity. Besides that, people need to spend money to buy a new battery and it is quite expensive. On the other hand, the power supply for the desktop computer comes from electricity. So users do not have to worry about changing any power supply as they have to with the notebook. Moreover, users can turn on their desktop computers for very long time without worrying about anything. By letting the computer on all the time, they can
save more on electricity payments as well rather than turning it on and off, which consumes more power.
Finally, price is the biggest consideration for most people who want to buy a computer. A notebook has a higher price compared to a desktop computer. For example, the price for the notebook (inspiron xps) is higher than the desktop computer (dimension xps) from Dell, although they have almost the same components inside. The notebook costs $2,349 and the desktop computer costs $1,849. This happens because all the components used inside a notebook are very complicated. They are very complicated because they are designed in a very small shape and are supported by high technology as well. In order to create a very small shape, designers have to work harder. On the other hand, the components of the desktop computer are certainly bigger than the notebook, but they are supported by high technology as well. Moreover, the components of the desktop computer can be easily bought from an electronic store. Unlike the notebook, the components have to be bought from the original company such as Dell, IBM, Microsoft, etc.
In conclusion, I would say that both computers are good. They both are highly technological. In fact, people have to use them for different purposes. Because of these purposes, many people like to use a notebook/laptop and others like to use a desktop computer. For myself, I prefer to use a notebook/laptop better than a desktop computer because I like small things and I can bring it to campus so I do not have to wait for someone to finish up in the computer lab. Finally, I would say that they are both very helpful in our lives. This makes them very popular in the world today.