Essay PreviewMore ↓
Education is a very sensitive topic to discuss among adults. Many adults want the education to be based on a system of ideas that is progressive (which is a system high in the aspect of individuality), some want perennialism (which is the teaching of philosophies that have stood the test of time over hundreds of years), and some, like myself, want to take it back to the way it used to be (essentialism). Education as defined by Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary is “the action or process of education or being educated.” I believe that the way education was presented in the past worked well and that education should remain to be taught the same.
For education to be taught the same as it were in the past, many things have to change. There are too many electives being taught in public schools today, there is too much acceptance on certain things like tardiness, absences, and behavior, there are not severe enough punishments for students who break the rules, and the curricula is too easy. To chance this we need to put a strong work ethic into the children and to do that you need a tough and challenging schedule throughout the schooling process. As a physical educator I would do this by not just rolling out a ball and telling the students to “play”, but by teaching them certain skills it takes to become a physically fit person. In making a person physically fit, you need to teach them the factors of being fit like: how to eat a healthy diet, how to exercise properly, proper hygiene, and how much sleep to get.
I think that the only thing that you get out of education, is what you put in it. To become a smart, balanced, and intelligent person you must put forth all effort in getting an education. To the layperson, education is merely something that needs to be done to get through life and “to get a good job”, but to me education is making yourself into a better person, and a person who knows what they want out of life. I believe that you need not learn all this extra curricula that is being taught in many of today’s schools like philosophy of ideas, mythology, media, and classes like the printing press.
How to Cite this Page
"Going Back to the Basics." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Oct 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Tumblr is a community of blog's. Filled with fandom's, fan fiction and URLs. Tumblr is a place where everyone can find something each person can enjoy. I am part of multiple fandom's. Some people are more into fashion blog's or animal blog's. Most people have their personal blog where they post things they enjoy. Some people have blog's about a movie or TV show's they enjoy. You can have many blog's, all linked to the same account. Tumblr makes it easy to run many blog's at the same time. It's a wonderful place for all to come.... [tags: community of blogs, fan fiction, URLs]
1634 words (4.7 pages)
- Introduction Writing in an educational setting is essential. Writing in a real world setting is also essential. So why is the emphasis of teaching basic writing skills going away. As a teacher in a sixth grade classroom in Utah, I see students who cannot form a complete sentence let alone a solid paragraph. Many students do not capitalize the beginnings of their sentences or end them with proper punctuation marks. Forming a complete thought seems to be a skill beyond many of these students grasp.... [tags: Education, writing skills]
2317 words (6.6 pages)
- Internet Basics Julie Wolper's "Internet Basics" was originally offered by the Telecommunication Community Resource Center and represents a growing phenomena on the Web -- the free course. In fact, this is not so much a course as it is a self-directed tutorial, an outgrowth of the early guided learning modules that first appeared in PLATO and in early DOS and Macintosh programs. Wolper's work offers its users a brief guide to the Internet (along with an introduction written by Dan Duvall). It includes descriptions of such technologies as the Web, downloads, e-mail and newsgroups, a collection I found oddly conceived till I worked through the site: the technologies chosen all fit within her... [tags: Julie Wolper]
559 words (1.6 pages)
- ... College gives you an opportunity to find a great job and in a career that you love. People with a college degree earn 74% more than people with just a high school diploma. The annual income for a college graduate is almost twice as more than a person with just a high school diploma. My dad always encourages me and says that going to college will help me get a nice stable job and I won’t be struggling with money and bills. People who don’t go to college often don’t know where there life is going or what to even do with it.... [tags: high school, costs, jobs]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Zombies have established a hold on the people of the twenty-first century. There are books, movies, TV shows, and video games about zombies. AMC’s “The Walking Dead” is a TV show about a group of people trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. While fans of the show may already love zombies, some fans watch the show with little knowledge on what zombies really are. Matt Mogk’s “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Zombies” is a book that is written to inform readers on everything they would want to know about zombies.... [tags: zombie basics, zombie science, matt mogk]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- ... This idea of being too reactionary has come and gone in other classes, and really reach a head for me in this one. I kept it open and in my face the whole time. It was not till the end of the semester, and the last habit, when I would review the material again asking myself to see deeper, that I would see coming in to the class as an “adult learner” with prejudices, and rejections was also more of being a “reactive” individual. I did not come in the the class as opened as I had hoped, because I had not come in as a proactive individual.... [tags: Covey's 7 habits of highly effective people ]
1817 words (5.2 pages)
- In March of 2013 I was notified that I would be losing my job in 90 days due to our contract with the State not being renewed. As you can imagine the news brought on many fears for me and the five hundred other employees who were affected. At first I was in shock and remember driving home that evening questioning over and over again what had just happened. The next day when I returned to work, it was very somber in my office. People were walking around still in disbelief of the news. As the days progressed I needed to start making decisions about what I wanted to do next with my career.... [tags: job, wok, pay, career]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- Getting Back to Basics In earliest times primitive people made contact with the outside world through the same five senses used by people today. They could hear the sounds of animals, see objects, feel the rain on their faces, smell the fragrance of wild flowers, and taste berries and other foods. Primitive people also expressed their feelings through art and dance. The cave paintings in Lascaux, France, which were drawn some 27,000 years ago, depicted animals of the time. Do these images show Paleolithic man’s continuity with nature.... [tags: essays research papers]
1258 words (3.6 pages)
- Going back to college after you have been out of school for quite a few years, had three children, been married, and divorced is a lot harder than I ever imagined. It takes hard work, dedication, and missing out on the little things previously taken for granted. I miss taking naps the most. I believe if you can tough it out through the worst days, you can finish school and provide a better life for your children and yourself. You need a lot of willpower and a large sense of humor. Set your alarm at least an hour before you really need to get out of the bed.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Personal Experience]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Going Back to Archaic Greece The Amasis Painter seemed to lure me into his world while reading these works compiled by these very prolific writers. Or maybe it was the writers that brought me back to experience what they felt while studying these paintings and giving up their thoughts to question as they questioned others. In either case it has sparked my interest in this painter, and potter if you will. He combines a perfectionistic attitude with an imaginative flare that is subtle and refined, giving him that contrasting edge that one looks for in an artist.... [tags: essays research papers]
1951 words (5.6 pages)
Another aspect of the essentialistic approach to teaching is the fact that we need standardized test to evaluate our children. To discover what a child knows and what they are capable of knowing, you must perform these tests. These tests should be taken very seriously and they should be used in the educational process. If a child is incapable of learning at the pace of the average student his/her age then they to be either held back or demoted. I know that demotion is a severe thing for a child to go through but if all teachers saw that you should not pass a student just on the fact that they try or that they work hard, then you would not have to do this severe step.
Many times people ask themselves, “What is the overall purpose of education?” To this question I purpose an answer. Education is the process that you must learn to become a healthy, mentally and physically, person. You need to know certain things about history, you need to be able to perform math and science problems, and you need to be aware of unhealthy ways of living. If you are aware of mistakes we made in the past then you can teach yourself not to make those same mistakes, if you are aware of how to avoid certain illnesses then you will not get those illnesses, and if you are aware of the dangers of being unhealthy then you will keep yourself healthy.
As a teacher I hope to make children aware of the fact that there are many danger sin our world and avoiding those dangers in not hard. Many people say that you learn form your mistakes, but if someone can tell you mistakes made in the past then you can learn from others’ mistakes. Also, as a physical educator, I want to change the way that children and adults look at physical education, there is a new physical education being brought into our schools and this involves the teaching of lifetime activities and lifetime fitness.
To me school is not just a place to learn, or to have fun, or to hang out with your friends but school is a place that you should want to attend, you should care for, you should respect, and you should learn from every day. School is a great thing, there must be school present or society will fall. Without schooling our nation would go to ruins, our leadership would be in shambles, and our society as a whole would degrade tremendously.
We cannot blame the poor education of our country on our students alone; we must place the majority of the blame on the teachers. Our nation is a great nation but the problem, that I have already mentioned, is that fact that we are all too lazy. So in essence, if our teachers do not care enough to educate our students properly, then how should we expect them to perform in today’s world? That is why I want to be a teacher, so that I can make a difference and actually teach something to children.