Essay PreviewMore ↓
As we know, computer is very important in our daily life. We can’t live without computer, since it gives us entertainment, gives us a working place, and gives us a media to communicate to the world. However, not many peoples know how to choose a computer. Many peoples spent a lot to buy a computer but the configuration is like garbage. We can buy a factory built computer from some big company, but the configuration will be not much flexible. We can buy the computer with more selective items. I call it semi-DIY system, since it is more flexible and close to our need. And DIY is the most flexible method to get the computer. Building a computer system is easy and we don’t need to have some professional knowledge. Follow the instruction of the study book, and your dramatic system comes out. But how can we choose a good computer from the webpage?
I choose the factory system from Dell.com, semi-DIY system from Alienware.com, and search the DIY components from pricewatch.com and slickdeals.net at the lowest price. We can get the most popular computer in the first two pages and the DIY component in the last two pages.
In Dell.com, we have to do two steps to get into the page that selling desktop computers. First we have to choose home and home office product, then goes to the products desktop page. In the desktop selling page, it’s clearly show their systems on the right hand side and the special offer and new feature on the left. On each model it shows, they give the simple configuration with the price. Then they have a button to go to a page that shows the full configuration of the system. On each full configuration page, there is several customized system on show but we still can customize ourselves by click the link on the bottom. In the customize page, what we can switch is everything, from the CPU, Hard Drive or OS to the services support from DELL. Also, we can add accessories as we need. After customization, we can see the new price by clicking the update price button. From the above instruction, I can say that Dell.com is selling the computer in an effective and easy way. The well perform of the system in the clear way is very powerful. Also the page structure is clean that looks comfortable.
How to Cite this Page
"Computers: Buy or DIY?." 123HelpMe.com. 28 Mar 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Doing something yourself is accomplishing something on your own without the help of a professional. It can be to modify or repair something. People have started to DIY because of today’s economy or to add a touch of their own style to the item. DIY has been linked to start in the 1910s. There are different types of DIY: Music, Craft, and Fashion. The term “do it yourself” can be linked to the consumers since 1912. At this time they would do home improvements and maintaining their homes. In the 1950s the term “do it yourself” came to common use in the English language.... [tags: utube, improvements, projects]
567 words (1.6 pages)
- Before you buy a Computer Buying a computer is no easy task, you want to make sure you’re making the right purchase so you don’t blow your money on something that stops meeting your demands. Not all machines are created equal, and unless you’re pretty familiar with computer hardware, which is the physical aspect of computers, telecommunications, and other devices, you might have a hard time determining just how unequal they are. If you often need your computer on the go, the choice is simple: laptop.... [tags: Computer, Personal computer]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- Best Buy opened it’s doors in 1966 by the name of “Sound of Music”, it wasn’t until 1986 that it proceeded to change it’s name to what it is recognized today. Best Buy is the top retailer in the nation’s (USA) consumer electronic retail industry. What makes Best Buy unique is that they sell electronics and appliances used for home and office, they provide customer service and business support through their Geek Squad Technical Support System, and they offer major tech brands and their products such as Apple and Windows in house.... [tags: Marketing, Best Buy, Marketing plan, Retailing]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Do you own a computer. What kind of computer is it. Is it a Microsoft PC, running Windows Vista. Or is it an Apple Macintosh running Mac OS X. Using a PC can be such a hassle. Macintosh computers are so much better and easier to use than a PC. Macs also are better for the planet, have a longer lifespan, have more reliable hardware, are less likely to crash or get viruses, have better security features, it’s very easy to transfer all your files from a PC to a Mac, and a Mac can be a PC if you really wanted it too.... [tags: Computer Technology]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- To Build a Personal Computer or Buy a Personal Computer. Abstract This report is going to describe the pros and cons of building a personal computer (PC) and of purchasing a prefabricated one. This will help the reader to create a budget and gain more information about the computer industry. All parts, supplies, tools, and general insight will be given on the proper procedure of building a PC The report will also give generalized information on where and how to go about purchasing a PC. Based on all of the information that was contributed in this report, it is recommended that the reader choose either example based upon His or Her skills in computer literacy.... [tags: Description Compare Contrast Computers Essays]
5107 words (14.6 pages)
- Comparison (Argument) Outline Personal Computers Thesis: Personal computers today are by far superior to personal computers of 40 years ago. In today's society almost every American family owns at least one personal computer. The personal computer technology has grown greatly improving the personal computer industry. New models change every year. Each year more and more improvements are made. Personal computers today are by far superior to personal computers of 40 years ago. The operation of personal computers invented today is better than personal computers invented 40 years ago.... [tags: Computers]
408 words (1.2 pages)
- The History of Computers Thousands of years ago calculations were done using people’s fingers and pebbles that were found just lying around. Technology has transformed so much that today the most complicated computations are done within seconds. Human dependency on computers is increasing everyday. Just think how hard it would be to live a week without a computer. We owe the advancements of computers and other such electronic devices to the intelligence of men of the past. The history of the computer dates back all the way to the prehistoric times.... [tags: Computers Technology Essays]
836 words (2.4 pages)
- How to Buy a Computer Even though computers are a great technological bargain, you can still get burned, and it's best to have a plan before acquiring one. Many computer shoppers make these mistakes they, buy a computer, then they buy some programs, then they learn how to use the programs, then they learn about the computer itself. This is exactly backwards. I would like to take you through these four steps, in the correct order; learn a bit about computers, learn a bit about programs, select the type of programs you want, and how to choose a computer.... [tags: Essays Papers]
912 words (2.6 pages)
- Computers and Firefighting It seems that the advances of today are moving far more rapidly than people have ever thought about. The only question is that how much farther can we go in the advancement of computer technology to support people. One of the ways to support people is in the area of Firefighting. In this field the firemen with help of computers is allowed to help civilians when they are in need. The job of now is becoming a little safer to do because of newly advances by computers in the firefighting field.... [tags: Firefighters Computers Technology Essays]
1211 words (3.5 pages)
- Dell Computers Dell Computers was founded by Michael Dell, who started selling personal computers out of his dorm room as a freshman at the University of Texas. Michael Dell would buy parts wholesale, assembled them into clones (exact replicas) of IBM computers, and sold them by mail order to customers who did not want to pay the higher prices charged by retailers. Michael Dell was soon making 80,000 dollars a month profit and in 1984 Michael dropped out of university to found Dell Computers. Michael formed in his dorm room the underlying principles, which he would follow throughout the 80’s and 90’s as CEO of Dell Computers.... [tags: Computers History Historical Essays]
1694 words (4.8 pages)
Let see the Alienware.com. The first impression is beautiful. Design of the button is cyber and clear. The structure of the page is clear too. It has the promotion section on top and the general categories beside the promotion section. Below that, it has a box to show all system by name under the general category, and customer service on the right. If we search a desktop computer in the main page, we have to click on the “desktop system” button beside the promotion section. In the desktop page, first it shows the award winning of the systems. Then there is a link to tell customer how to choose their appropriate system in alienware.com. They rank their system performance by feature in that link and there is a very good design of the page is to compare performance with your computer. When we click one the analyst button on the bottom, it pop up a window to compare the performance of the system you choose and the performance of the computer you are using. It shows the compared performance you get on the new system and the component comparison. Let’s get back to the desktop page. After choosing the system, we can do similar thing as in Dell.com that we can customize the system by ourselves. But it has a very good feature of the page that every time you switch the component, the price will change immediately. Most of the page using the white color as the background and look comfortable, also the feature are more suitable for the customer who are looking for a very good performance computer.
Comparing these two pages, they both have their strength. Dell.com can give some convenient feature to the disable and the system is cheaper, but Alienware.com is more beautiful and knows more clearly the different between you computer and their system. What about the DIY system?
The two pages I choose to search the component are totally different to Dell’s and Alienware’s pages. Slickdeals.net and Pricewatch.com is just giving out the link to the place that we can get the cheap products. In Slickdeals.net, the items are separate by date, but we can set the range of date to search the items. Since Slickdeals.net is not only search for computer component, the items on the page seem mess up together and lack of well arrangement. So it is pretty hard to focus searching on computer product. In Pricewatch.com, every item are well arrange in different categories. It puts all categories on the page, and goes to appropriate page by ourselves. In each entry, it will show up all the items with the lowest starting price. And we can get the items information, price with shipping and dealer information in each item link. The items are sorted by price or we can use their search engine to search by brand. I can not tell these two pages are user friendly, but we can get the items in more than 50% off.
By comparing these four pages, I separate them into two groups. One is the DIY components search pages, and the other is dealer’s pages. If customers who think they can build they own system, I will recommend the DIY search pages, since it is a lot cheaper. If customers want to get computer in the easiest way, dealer’s pages is the best, because they have good customer services and technique support and the system are very easy to choose from the page.