Essay PreviewMore ↓
Homelessness is not something that I could ever imagine completely. I, like everyone else, have a simple idea of what it would be like to be homeless. There is so much more to being homeless than most believe. My exposure to Habitat for Humanity is showing me some about the idea of living in a lower income family. This exposure is an experience that all high school and college students should have.
One reason for my ignorance on homelessness is my modest exposure to homeless people. I have really never had close contact to homeless or have never done much service work for the homeless. Many people in my family do work with homeless and low-income families. I have heard their stories and I have a little knowledge from what my family has told me. If people, including myself, did more to get involved, we would have more knowledge about the homeless and other poverty-stricken families.
I finally got exposure to the low-income families with my grandfather. My grandfather is the person who got me involved in the Habitat work. He is a retired construction teacher and he has taught me many carpentry and handyman skills. I have done a Blitz Build before and I enjoyed it very much. I love doing that type of work and it is even more fun when I get to help out a family with my skills. At Clemson I got to practice these skills once again when my English class helped work on a Habitat house. Now we are assisting the actual Habitat organization by making a promotional brochure. I think that all students should get involved with an organization such as Habitat for Humanity. Doing this will bring them to a closer understanding of what it is like to live in a low income or even homeless family.
It is an interesting experience to get involved with the families in society that need help.
How to Cite this Page
"Habitat for Humanity: Helping the Homeless." 123HelpMe.com. 25 Apr 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Habitat for Humanity International Inc. is a 501(c)3 Christian nonprofit organization centered in Americus, Georgia that constructs and repairs houses throughout the world for low-income families. Millard and Linda Fuller founded the organization in 1976, with who were inspired to develop the organization after first visiting Koinonia Farm in 1965 for a service venture. Millard and Clarence Jordan, a farmer at Koinonia, created the idea of “partnership housing” where volunteers aid low-income people in the construction of suitable housing.... [tags: Habitat for Humanity]
2771 words (7.9 pages)
- If you we're in the Niles area last December, you might have heard singing coming from a nearby house just off from Fifth Street in Niles. It wasn't Christmas Carolers spreading Holiday joy to the neighborhood, it was the many great individuals welcoming a new home owner to their newly built house. Christmas came early for a lucky Niles area family as Habitat for Humanity completed another build to someone whom had thought that home ownership was only a dream. This is typically how a traditional Habitat for Humanity dedication ceremony begins.... [tags: home, Habitat for Humanity, ]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- Every day in communities around the world, there are people in need. From those whose houses are destroyed in natural disasters, to those who have lost everything in the economic downturn, wherever you are there is no lack for those in need. Service learning is a form of learning that not only allows you to learn new helpful skills, but it also allows you to give back to your community and reach those that truly need a helping hand. Choosing the right organization to donate your time to can be a daunting task, after all there are several of them and each has their own unique way of contributing to the community.... [tags: learning, skills, helping, organzitions]
567 words (1.6 pages)
- Planet Earth is where millions live, breath, eat, and sleep over one billion people live on earth and take care of although is there anything being done to better the people on Earth. Yes, actually there is an organization called Habitat for Humanity which does help communities and neighborhoods all over United States of America and world. Habitat for Humanity believes that everyone should have a home; this belief is demonstrated by their slogan which says " we believe that every person should have a decent safe and affordable place to live (www.... [tags: United States, U.S. state, Unemployment]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
- Helping The Homeless One subject that simply can not be ignored no matter where you find yourself in Anaheim. The homeless population in Anaheim is rapidly growing and there seems to be no end to this conundrum. Sadly, these poor individuals can be found anywhere some small amount of shelter is. Thus, you can constantly find them lingering around parks or on the sides of freeways waiting to beg the next passerby for enough money to make it through the day. In Anaheim they can usually found at the various parks we have around the city.... [tags: Homelessness, Homeless shelter]
1647 words (4.7 pages)
- For several years, researchers group together to find the right direction in analyzing how homeless people can acquire a better framework in a direction of regaining their dignity and integrity. Researchers were able to create an assessment tools that eventually produce a meaningful result. This paper will discuss the different tools that can assess the homeless people in developing the necessary guide to overcome their present difficulties, mentally and physically. Assessment tools in different model but the tools selected for the homeless people are descriptive and appropriate.... [tags: research, homeless]
1186 words (3.4 pages)
- Habitat for Humanity International Inc. is a 501(c)3 Christian nonprofit organization centered in Americus, Georgia that constructs and repairs houses throughout the world for low-income families. Millard and Linda Fuller founded the organization in 1976, with whom were inspired to develop the organization after first visiting Koinonia Farm in 1965 for a service venture. Millard and Clarence Jordan, a farmer at Koinonia, created the idea of “partnership housing” where volunteers aid low-income people build suitable housing.... [tags: Christian non profit organizations]
2670 words (7.6 pages)
- Tax Structure: Habitat For Humanity Habitat for Humanity is a nonprofit organization dedicate to building homes for low-income individuals. This organization requires that potential homeowners assist in the building of their home or others to reduce the financing cost of homeownership. This paper focuses on the percentage of property tax revenue, two arguments in favor, and two arguments property tax breaks for Habitat of Humanity homeowner, and case resolution. Quantification "In 2004, property tax collections in the U.S.... [tags: Business Finance ]
1759 words (5 pages)
- Homelessness is everywhere, it is not a new trend and is a growing problem. Many people ask themselves should I help the homeless or not; it is easier to just ignore the problem than to give a helping hand. Every person needs help at one point or another in their life and homeless people should be no different. Assisting the homeless with healthcare, housing, and childcare are ways people are able to and should help the homeless. Many homeless people do not have access to healthcare and they go many years without seeing a doctor.... [tags: asisting with healthcare, housing and childcare]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- A Student's Comments on Habitat for Humanity Websites While sitting in my dorm room watching a DVD, I looked around and suddenly realized how lucky I was. I lived in a decent sized room with lighting and air conditioning that I could adjust to make myself comfortable. Then I thought how even more lucky I was to be able to go home too yet a nicer living facility at my own house that I have to share with nobody but my immediate family. It made me begin to wonder how many people there are that do not possess this luxury.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1377 words (3.9 pages)