Essay PreviewMore ↓
Children growing up in this generation are experiencing a greater impact from computers than in the past. In the past, children and adult, could make a life without a computer, as it wasn’t a necessity or found to be all that useful from time to time. A higher level of dependency on these computers has been established, and society only has more to come in the future. The technology that comes with these complex machines is becoming more developed and is making everyday tasks simpler for most. Computers have changed our nation in many ways, from the way we operate to the accessibility of worldwide resources such as the Internet we use frequently today. The purpose of this paper is to discuss the fluctuation of the influence of computers on a child’s education in their early years, as it has been in the past, how it is in the present, and how it might be in the future.
First of all, the computer’s role in society has increased significantly throughout recent years. In the past, a computer was mostly used for minor tasks, such as typing a paper or playing a game for leisure. A child could rarely be found sitting in front of a monitor screen, and they usually didn’t even know how to operate the machine. Software games were on the market, but were not very popular for purchase. Usually the more developed households and higher-class families were the ones that contained a computer at home, but mostly adults were found to be the users. Many families found it easy to do without one, as they were mostly used for typing, and typewriters or handwriting took their place. In the past, computers went without the Internet, were extremely slow, and weren’t capable of much of anything.
How to Cite this Page
"Impact of Computers on Children." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Computers are ubiquitous. As our society grows towards being a culture connected through the Internet, and as prices of these machines gradually decrease, more and more have been purchased by families for their homes and as a result, children are beginning to learn to use the computer at an earlier age. Even if computers are not presently available at the home, a child will almost certainly be exposed to one at school or the library, among other places. Adults today are amazed at the amount of knowledge a child has at such an early age – children generally find that computers gives them a sense of power and accomplishment.... [tags: Computers]
1579 words (4.5 pages)
- Era of technology in this century has affected every single part of life. Computer, one part of technology developments in new century, has been integrated into school curriculum as an attempt to enhance students motivation towards learning activities. The presence of computer in educational activities leads to new situation in the process of teaching and learning that leads to the demand of computer in educational setting increases every year. It has been reported (2008) that the average number of computers in primary, secondary, and special schools in England increases every year.... [tags: computers, education]
1767 words (5 pages)
- Everyone has grown up with a certain toy they loved to play with, but no one really knew the effects it would on them as they aged. Children that are obsessed with their toys and other devices could be affected negatively and positively both with their emotional and social skills and development. When babies are born, they are forced into what they will play with, but it should not be that way. Parents need to give their children space to have an open mind about what toys they want to play with (Roberts 1 of 1).... [tags: emotional, social skills, development, children]
1123 words (3.2 pages)
- Computers and Their Impact The extreme increase in the use of computers has drastically changed the lives of many people. Computers, as Sherry Turkle in "Who Am We" discussed, initially were used as simple calculators, but through the years they have come to be valued as more than simple machines (442). "The computer has gained new qualities, it is not only used as a calculator, but now it entails simulation, navigation, and interaction" (443). With the increase in computer usage, comes new software that attracts people's attention even more.... [tags: Technology Papers]
3217 words (9.2 pages)
- Childhood obesity in America is a growing disease that has become an epidemic that has lasting psychological effects because of advertisement of fast food, lack of physical activities, and parental control has made food become a major health issue in many young teenagers’ lives today. Who is to blame. Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years (cdc.gov). this takes us to the focus of how childhood obesity has become an enormous issue today. For us to understand the impact of obesity and why we should prevent it, we will need to figure out the causes of obesity and what keeps people obese.... [tags: Obesity in Children]
1492 words (4.3 pages)
- The Positive Impact of Computers in the Classroom Computers have been integrated in almost every aspect of today’s society; PC’s in the home and office, laptops for business traveling, graphics software for the media, and most significantly computers in the classroom. However, the technology of computers has not always been part of the education system and is a relatively new part of the teaching and learning process. In the 1950s large and expensive computers were only used by the government and large corporations (Beekman, 2003).... [tags: Education Technology Essays]
913 words (2.6 pages)
- Impact of Computers on Education Computers have had a large impact in education. There are many things that are done differently in schools now and that goes for all age groups. Computers can really help a teacher in many positive ways. If it were not for computers, there would be many helpful things that would not be in school, for example if it were not for computers we would not have calculators, we also would not have electronic overheads. Schools would not have been really updated what so ever if it were not for computers.... [tags: Technology Technological Papers]
1336 words (3.8 pages)
- Computers' Impact on Physically Challenged Have computers positively impacted society of the physically challenged. The answer to that question is yes. Computers have helped physically challenged people to become more independent and have better and fuller lives. The Internet has been a useful tool for these people because they can buy, sell, or read objects on the web pages. They can buy their groceries and read the newspaper on-line. Without the Internet and computers the physically challenged would have to depend on other people to help them do their shopping or reading.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Papers]
1493 words (4.3 pages)
- Computers in Kindergarten Perhaps you are skeptical as to the benefits of using technology with young children and you’re not unsure about using computer technology for your own purpose. Some questions frequently asked are, Does using computers in the primary grades stifle young children’s natural inclination to experiment and explore and hamper the development of independent thought. Will hardware turn primary classrooms from environments that nurture young minds to labs that merely mesmerize them.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Education Essays]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- Computers and History The digital world of today can be understood as a product of late-Victorian construction of the machinery of information organization combined with Modernist visual forms. People living in a civilized country today live in a digital world. The children of today cannot imagine a time when computers were not widespread. Since computers have become essential for many tasks that we complete everyday, from shopping for groceries to communicating with friends and family, these kids can only picture how everything worked before the advent of the computer.... [tags: Technology Computer Essays]
1990 words (5.7 pages)
I have seen children as young as the age of three operate a computer, although at this age they mainly use it for recreational purposes only. I think that by starting a kid with technology this early in life is a smart choice, as it makes the kid brighter. It would also open their mind up to new ideas and challenge them. They are brought upon instances where they need to think resourcefully and consider their options carefully to make the right choice to move on to the next step, a practice that is used frequently in later life as well.
As for what the future beholds of children and their usage of computers, I believe that more is definitely to come and it can only get better as revisions are made to improve technology. Children will be using computers more, and possibly even be starting at a younger age. Computers will become more relevant and necessary for a child’s education and learning in the classroom will center around the capabilities of these machines. New forms of entertainment will be introduced on the market, encouraging consumers to become more advanced in their computerized skills. Computers will replace jobs, as well as take the place of many other important items. I believe that they will be found everywhere, from the home to the workplace to the doctor’s office, and their number of uses will be indefinite. They will have outstanding possibilities, making most human lives easier, aside from the fact that they will be taking employment from some.
In summary, computers have come along way in today’s world, and they aren’t done yet. Children have increased their knowledge of computers, and tend to be smarter than their parents from time to time when it comes to using them. The influence computers have had on the recent and current generations has increased throughout the years, and the level of dependency that we have on these complex machines has increased as well. They are used for basic everyday tasks, and it is fairly uncommon for a household to go without one these days. A computer is not only used as a word-processor anymore, it is now a form of entertainment among other things. The technology of today’s world has yet to see improvements and only get better in the future. The creation and development of the computer has brought many good things to our society today, as well as cause some disruptions. A computer can’t always be dependable, for it can easily catch a virus or just simply shut down out of the blue before you take the chance to save your information you are processing. All in all, the advantages that a computer has to offer weighs out the disadvantages it lures on us, and it is a machine that is here to stay and for our world to adjust to in every possible way that we can. A good page to allow your kids to use the computer, but to get activities from it to do offline is to go to Craft Idea’s on the web.