Essay PreviewMore ↓
Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com
Only 27% of all websites that are put on the market are sold. This is a shocking statistic to most people trying to sell a website. If you follow the tips below your chances of selling dramatically increases.
Have All Records Ready Before You Attempt to Sell
Have these items ready before the website goes on the market to be sold: The last 3 years of federal tax returns for the website being sold, the last 3 years of financials (profit & loss statement, balance sheet), the last 3 years of monthly bank statements, etc - many parties during the selling process will need this info - serious website buyers, lenders who will provide financing for the buyer, as well as others. Also make sure you know what the correct Adjusted Net income has been for the last 3 years. Serious website buyers will want to know this. Adjusted Net income is: Net Income + Owners Salary + Depreciation + Interest Expenses + Other Website Expenses Deducted (that may not be website expenses to the new owner of the website).
Have a Professional Website Valuation Performed
Getting a 3rd party professional website appraisal/valuation is important and critical for the process. Most websites put on the market NEVER SELL usually due to too high of a price placed on the website being sold. Getting a professional 3rd party valuation is well worth the expense and will be utilized by many parties during the selling process: possible website buyers, financing companies for the buyer, and others.
Keep a Sale Transaction Folder
Keep a folder of all contacts, notes, and paperwork for your website for sale transaction. Keep a log of all buyers who contact you - get their phone numbers, email address and keep notes about them. You want to make sure you have backup buyers in case your first choice drops out during the negotiation process. Keep all escrow info, purchase agreements, signed non-disclosure and confidentiality forms, contact phones of CPA’s, attorneys, etc. and other pertinent data/info in this folder.
Write Up a Comprehensive Summary of The Website
Buyers are going to need to know many details about the website being sold. Instead of having to explain repetitively to many buyers about the website, and possible forgetting many important details, make a summary of the website being sold. Include: History of the website, date established, important attributes
How to Cite this Page
"Advice Before You Sell Your Website." 123HelpMe.com. 11 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Advice on How to Sell Your Websites Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com If you are serious about selling your website then you will need to spruce up your financial statements, budgets, and business plans. Running your website as if you were preparing to sell it will improve your management practices and increase the value of your website. If you receive an offer that you can't refuse, being prepared will put you in a great position to close a deal quickly. In researching my book, “How to Sell Your Website for Top Dollar”, I interviewed over 200 entrepreneurs who had sold their websites.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- University of Washington is a school that provides a lot of resources so I decided to reach out to UW Society of Women Engineers and the UW Career Center website which have both led me to endless opportunities. One of the officers in SWE who is currently studying and doing a reasearch in the Materials Science & Engineering department at UW povided me a long list of names of professionals that I can talk to at UW. At the same time, the UW Career Corner Stone guided me to multiple websites of professional societies that focus on Material Science such as the Materials Research Society, American Ceramic Society and American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers.... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
932 words (2.7 pages)
- The Two Best Websites to Find a Used Car Have you ever been disappointed while searching a used car online. For example, never finding the car that you are interested in, hard to obtain the contact information about the seller, not getting satisfactory information relating to the car that you have found, that leads to total disappointments. After performing some researches for a week and based on my personal experienced, I found out two best websites to find a used car. They are http://www.cars.com/ and http://www.autotrader.com/.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1617 words (4.6 pages)
- Valuing a Website Before You Sell Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com There is probably no part of the buying process that worries a potential buyer more than overpaying for a website. While this is understandable (who wants to pay more than something is worth), it has more to do with misinformation and one's total approach to buying a website than it does to being an expert at appraisals. The truth is, value is completely subjective. After all, what one website may be worth to you is entirely different from what it is worth to the next person.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- International Marketing According to the article “Think globally and act locally” by Ryan Underwood, International Data Corp. predicts that two-thirds of worldwide Internet spending--$914 billion--will come from outside the United States by 2003. On top of that, IDC "conservatively predicts" that 36% of all Internet users by 2003 will prefer to use a language other than English when surfing the Web. In key regions such as Japan, Latin America and the Eurozone, that preference to operate on the Web in one's native tongue climbs to 84%, 75% and 52%, respectively.... [tags: Website, Language, Costumers]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- How to Sell A Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com It is a joyous time when you are ready to sell your website. While you will be fraught with questions and unknown variables when ultimately you decide to sell your website it can be like winning a jackpot and a big change to your life. You might have been building your web business for years, consistently working on it day after day and night after night. When it finally sells you get a (hopefully) big cash injection and move on to new projects feeling renewed and excited about your future prospects.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1917 words (5.5 pages)
- A Student's Reaction to Used Car Websites Getting a used car instead of a new car is becoming a trend in America today. People do not want to spend money for new cars cause of the fact that cars’ values diminish significantly. This is exactly what my friend thought when he bought his used Acura CL 2.3 Coupe 2D for 13,500 dollars last years from a local dealer. Now the question is whether the price he paid really makes sense considering the current options and conditions of the car. Unfortunately, my friend didn’t even do any research before he bought this car.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1521 words (4.3 pages)
- Selling a Website - The Process Initial Seller meetings are conducted by the Seller's Broker (a professionally trained Business Broker, holding a Real Estate Agent license where necessary), and the Seller is educated on the process of selling a business. A Representation Agreement is filled out by the Seller's Broker & signed by the Seller. Immediately after signing the representation Agreement, the Seller provides the Broker the following: Complete lists of all equipment and other assets to be included or excluded in the sale; Profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and tax returns of the Business covering the last three years; The most recent interim profit and loss statement, bala... [tags: Sell Website]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- Excellent Websites to Assist You in Buying a New Car By overcoming any fear about buying a car online, consumers can get that dream car for a great price, safely and securely - possibly even for a better price than offline. Are you in the market for a new or used car. Would you like to get some advice on safety ratings for certain cars, fuel efficiency, or trade- in value. If so, the fueleconomy.gov/feg/ and Carsdirect.com could have the answers to all of your vehicle- related questions and more.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1146 words (3.3 pages)
- Points to Consider When You Buy or Sell Websites Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com I've worked with many website sellers and many more potential website buyers over the years. I strongly believe that the best way for an entrepreneur to successfully get into an online business, or expand what they already have, is to buy an existing profitable website. To help those who are considering buying or selling a website, I offer the following overview of what I think are the most important issues when buying or selling a website.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1566 words (4.5 pages)
Confidentiality Agreements Are Important
Have all potential website buyers sign a Non-Disclosure/Confidentiality Agreement before giving out any info. Make sure potential buyers understand how important it is to keep the sale of the website confidential and that there are legal ramifications if they don’t.
Maximize Exposure to Serious Buyers
One of the most important items is to make sure that many, many qualified buyers see the website is for sale. Nothing is more important that getting the word out to the right website buyers. Yes it does only take one buyer to buy the website, but the objective is to have multiple buyers competing to buy your website. Only VotanWeb weeds out the 99% of “website lookers” from the 1% serious website buyers.
Get the Website You Are Selling Pre-Qualified for Financing
It is natural for you to think that it is the buyer’s responsibility to do this. However, if you want the absolute best price, then you would be wise to invest some effort into searching for financing for your website. This is a critical step, because if a buyer can’t get financing from a lending institution then he will typically ask the website owner for help with financing the website. By researching financing options early, you will know what some very important options will be for potential website buyers without a lot of time being wasted – and time always works against you when selling a website.
Keep the Negotiations and Communications Moving
Remember, time always works against you when you are selling a website. Make sure when you are negotiating the contract, purchase price, etc. that you are always moving forward. Don’t let any situation sit too long - it will most likely kill the deal!
Get the Signed Purchase Agreement into Escrow
Get the signed purchase agreement into escrow immediately and sign off any contingencies quickly. Make sure you go through the Allocation of Purchase Price in the beginning of the escrow process not at the end which happens most of the time.
Set a Time Limit for Due Diligence
Due diligence by the buyer should only last 4-14 days. Since you are going to be organized and ready with all important info and documents, this is all the time any competent website buyer should need to investigate the website for sale. You do not want the website off the market for a prolonged period so be firm about the length of time for Due Diligence - get it in writing (in the purchase agreement) and make sure all parties to the transaction stay with the schedule!
The Website is Not Sold Until You Have the Money
Always continue to collect names of website buyers and their phone numbers etc. even if you are in escrow. You want to make sure you have a successful deal and a website buyer that is going to complete the deal. Try to have 2-3 potential website buyer back-ups who are willing to take the buyers place within the escrow should the current website buyer drop out.
Keep A Positive Attitude
Keep calm and a have a positive attitude. By following these steps you will definitely find a qualified buyer for your website! Things happen pretty quickly when selling a website. If you are prepared, follow through with all buyers professionally and keep up on the selling process, you will be successful!