Essay PreviewMore ↓
Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com
If you're thinking about buying a website, you'll be pleased to learn that financing the purchase is generally quite easy. In fact, it's far simpler to get the money you need to buy an existing website than it is for a start up. Most people simply don't realize how to do it. Don't get the wrong idea: you're not going to buy a business, at least a good one, with no money down; that only happens in the infomercials on TV.
Many prospective website buyers mistakenly believe that traditional lenders will welcome them with open arms when they present them with a website they're looking to acquire. Unfortunately, nothing can be farther from the truth. It still amazes me how the banks have got most people fooled. They run these great ad campaigns promoting themselves as business friendly but try to get them to lend you money to buy a website. It won't happen.
It doesn't matter how experienced you are, or what your relationship is with them. Unless you're prepared to collateralize the loan 100% with personal liquid assets, they aren't going to give you a penny. So don't waste your time seeing them. With the terms they offer, it's just not worth it.
The Small Business Administration does NOT lend money for people to buy businesses. The SBA guarantees loans made by lenders (up to a certain amount) for small business acquisitions. There are both good and bad points to an SBA loan.
The good news is that there is money available; up to $1,300,000
The terms for repayment are favorable-up
When a business passes the SBA qualifications, you can be fairly confident that it is a solid business
If you do not have at least 25% equity in your home, you may not have to fully collateralize the loan.
Typically, they will finance 70-80% of the deal.
You may be thinking, if you can make the acquisition with 20% down, why would you even think about anything else? Here's why:
Many small websites won't pass the SBA requirements
The financial review is based upon the weakest of the past two or three year's tax returns
You must have demonstrative experience in a business that is similar to the one you are considering
How to Cite this Page
"Financing the Purchase of an Existing Website." 123HelpMe.com. 05 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Buying an Existing Website Have you considered being your own boss, creating your own financial independence and making your own dreams a reality. You're not alone, owning your own business is the "American dream". But the reality is that buying a business is a serious financial and personal commitment that requires an understanding of what makes a business successful. All too often, new owners jump blindly into a business venture, overwhelmed by the tremendous workload of starting a business from the ground up.... [tags: Sell Website]
539 words (1.5 pages)
- Financing the Purchase of a Website - The Small Business Administration (SBA) Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com One of the Small Business Administration's primary objectives is to help small businesses obtain financing. Although the SBA itself does not make direct loans, it has set up a number of loan programs to assist small businesses. In connection with most of these programs, the SBA provides guarantees to the private sector lenders who actually make the loans. With this guaranty in place, these lenders will generally make loans for the purchase of websites that they would not otherwise make.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- Advantages of Buying an Existing Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com With any new website you have two challenges: developing the product or service and then seeing what if anything, people are willing to pay you for it. Regardless of a website's past performance, an existing website will, at the very least, have a history from which you will be able to make certain decisions. Even if the website was not profitable in the past, your strengths may lend themselves perfectly to turning it into a viable venture.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
492 words (1.4 pages)
- Questions Frequently Asked Concerning the Purchase of a Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com What are the key motivators for people to buy a website. Before making a decision to purchase a website, a buyer should understand his or her objectives to make sure those objectives can be met by purchasing a particular website. Surveys of people purchasing websites reveal similar responses. Surprisingly, making money is not at the top of the list. Here is a list of the typical answers, in their order of importance: I want to control my own destiny.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- Which Website Should I Buy. Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com With any new website you have two challenges: developing the product or service and then seeing what if anything, people are willing to pay you for it. Your chances of success are clearly best when you buy an existing website. However, with so many websites available to you, the question will become which website or market should you pursue. Regardless of a website’s past performance, it will have a history from which you will be able to make certain decisions.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
375 words (1.1 pages)
- Leaving Corporate America to Buy a Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com As a Group Manager of VotanWeb, I receive a lot of email. One frequently asked question relates to making the transition from the corporate world to the entrepreneurial world of the internet. Many people have always dreamed of owning a web site and finally they decide to move toward that dream. They wonder how much money they need to invest as well as how they can obtain financing to purchase an existing website.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
489 words (1.4 pages)
- Preparing a Website for Sale Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com A website owner recently asked me to succinctly define what an owner must do in order to prepare a website for sale. I segmented my response into major categories as follows: Financial Since most website sales are based upon a multiple of the cash flow (either EBITDA or Discretionary Cash Flow), the website owner must have all of the financial records segregated and in good order. At a minimum, we would suggest having three years of financial statements and tax returns.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
526 words (1.5 pages)
- Types of Website Buyers and their Impact on Your Bottom Line Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com Different types of website buyers have different objectives and levels of experience. Knowing these differences can help you in getting the deal you want. As you begin your discussions with potential buyers, it's important to keep in mind that their goals and objectives can vary greatly. In general, website buyers can be classified into three major categories: strategic companies (both public and private), Private Investment Groups, and individual investors.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1096 words (3.1 pages)
- Options for Financing the Purchase of a Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com Financing a website purchase, or getting cash for a down payment can take many forms. Hopefully the options listed below will give you some ideas where you can find the money to buy a website. Credit Cards - many buyers these days are tapping their credit cards for their down payment to buy a website. The downside of this option is that if you are getting an SBA loan to buy a website, they won’t let you use “a credit card/loan – borrowed money” for the down payment.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Steps When You Purchase an Existing Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com The search for a website to purchase almost always starts with a visit to a web site like the one we host at VotanWeb. Sometimes the prospective buyer has a very definite idea of the type of website wanted. But, often the website buyer is a first time buyer and is still in the formative or exploratory phase of the search. Many first time buyers wonder what kind of website is best for them to purchase. That's a tough question to answer without some idea of the buyer's resources, skills and needs.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1040 words (3 pages)
It can take up to 90 days to complete the entire process.
Having said this, it is nevertheless advisable for you to explore the SBA option. You'll want to approach a preferred SBA lender. Most banks have this status. What it allows for is the banks to approve the loan on their own without having to submit everything to the SBA. If you choose this route be VERY specific in asking the lender for timelines to complete the transaction.