Essay PreviewMore ↓
Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com
The biggest thing a seller can do to make certain that a transaction proceeds smoothly is to adequately prepare the website’s financial statements. The owner should prepare a complete set of financial documents, going back two years at least, that accurately and fully represents the website’s current business condition.
Website owners have a choice here: those financial statements can be audited or simply reviewed by an accounting firm; or they can be compiled by the website owner. But audited statements offer sellers the best hope of speeding a deal along. With audited numbers, the buyer knows that your financials are accurate and doesn't have to waste time recalculating them.
Closings can also grind to a halt when a website seller doesn't prepare interim financial reports. These reports don't have to be audited, but they do have to give the buyer a sense of the website’s financial condition. If the website has warts, there's no point trying to hide them. A buyer will discover them during due diligence, which could send you back to square one.
Another cause for concern is when the website seller enters negotiations without having worked out the bottom line, the actual after-tax compensation he or she wants. That's a problem because different deals - and deal structures - can have different tax implications. Deals can fall apart when the payment to Uncle Sam is calculated too close to closing and the selling price no longer looks adequate to the website seller.
Of course, buyers can also create problems for themselves.
How to Cite this Page
"Avoid Problems when You Buy or Sell Websites." 123HelpMe.com. 02 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Quit Your Job - Buy and Sell Websites for a Living. Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com The stock market and real estate industry have long been populated by day traders and “flippers”, those that buy and sell in a short period of time in order to make a quick profit. In the real estate industry the life of a house flipper can be very appealing. Buy a renovator’s dream property at a discounted price, renovate and modernize it and then sell it at a few months later at a profit. This process can then be repeated over and over.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
2454 words (7 pages)
- Advice on How to Sell Your Websites Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com If you are serious about selling your website then you will need to spruce up your financial statements, budgets, and business plans. Running your website as if you were preparing to sell it will improve your management practices and increase the value of your website. If you receive an offer that you can't refuse, being prepared will put you in a great position to close a deal quickly. In researching my book, “How to Sell Your Website for Top Dollar”, I interviewed over 200 entrepreneurs who had sold their websites.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1083 words (3.1 pages)
- Should I Use an e-Business Broker When I Buy a Website. Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com A website broker is similar to a real estate broker to the extent that they try to put buyers and sellers together. Instead of real estate being sold, they focus on websites. The criteria to become a website broker vary from state to state and their individual training, history, specialty and area of expertise are things that you must investigate. Some website brokers work independently while others work for a website brokerage company.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
1274 words (3.6 pages)
- Advantages of Buying an Existing Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com With any new website you have two challenges: developing the product or service and then seeing what if anything, people are willing to pay you for it. Regardless of a website's past performance, an existing website will, at the very least, have a history from which you will be able to make certain decisions. Even if the website was not profitable in the past, your strengths may lend themselves perfectly to turning it into a viable venture.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Web Sites]
492 words (1.4 pages)
- Within the past four years a new social media website has been launched- Pinterest. Pinterest is used typically by women with eighty-seven percent and the other thirteen percent by men. Members on Pinterest are typically called pinners or users, but pinners is the correct term. Pinners on Pinterest may use Pinterest to share exciting and beautiful things that they find on the web along with businesses that attempt to advertise and to increase their sales. With having fun on Pinterest there are often consequences because Pinterest members are committing copyrighted infringement by using and posting photos that are not their own.... [tags: social media website, advertisements]
921 words (2.6 pages)
- Points to Consider When You Buy or Sell Websites Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com I've worked with many website sellers and many more potential website buyers over the years. I strongly believe that the best way for an entrepreneur to successfully get into an online business, or expand what they already have, is to buy an existing profitable website. To help those who are considering buying or selling a website, I offer the following overview of what I think are the most important issues when buying or selling a website.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1566 words (4.5 pages)
- Hoax websites have grown in popularity along with the growth of the Internet. These websites provide often-humorous deception in which inaccurate information is portrayed as factual. While some hoax websites have been able to create a website using images and text that makes the inaccurate information, most contain images and text that reveal the inaccuracy of information. The website, BuyDehydratedWater.com, has many strong elements that make it challenging to determine it as a hoax website. This website offers the sale of dehydrated water.... [tags: Employment, Employee benefit, Question, Wage]
706 words (2 pages)
- How to Find and Buy Quality Websites Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com Most buyers don’t realize that very few of all website buyers are successful in buying a quality website. VotanWeb receives email form website buyers daily and the frustrations I hear from them are usually pretty much the same. Buyers need to know how the game works when buying a website. It is a lot like finding that great job – it takes a lot of work and patience. Most website buyers are unprepared, unrealistic, and think they will easily find that perfect website.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
681 words (1.9 pages)
- Sell Your Troubled Websites Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com You awaken one morning to the realization that the website you've poured so much time, energy and thought into; the dream that was once the preoccupation of your every waking moment has turned sour - what do you do. Market forces, changing consumer tastes, cash flow problems, or some unforeseen outside factor has brought you to the point of not being able to keep things going much longer. Do you, shut the doors and call it a day or declare bankruptcy.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1199 words (3.4 pages)
- How to Sell A Website Reprinted with permission of VotanWeb.com It is a joyous time when you are ready to sell your website. While you will be fraught with questions and unknown variables when ultimately you decide to sell your website it can be like winning a jackpot and a big change to your life. You might have been building your web business for years, consistently working on it day after day and night after night. When it finally sells you get a (hopefully) big cash injection and move on to new projects feeling renewed and excited about your future prospects.... [tags: Sell Websites Buy Websites]
1917 words (5.5 pages)