Essay PreviewMore ↓
So here I am trying to think of something to write about that will go beyond a theme. My writing experiences have been pretty narrow minded. Basicly, if the writing was not in a theme format, I immediately excluded it. From elementary school and to today, research papers in theme formats were expected. I was not taught how to write in any other way. I figured that if my writing was accepted, if I got A's on them, and if the teachers never hinted as to any other way to write, there must be only ONE TRUE WAY TO WRITE! How Hitler-ish. Just as Hitler was wanting to rule the world of people, theme writing was to rule the world of writing.
So here I sit; trying to ponder what life would be like without a trace of theme writing. No more guaranteed A's. Professors wouldn't have any easy time grading papers - they will actually have to read all of the carefully constructed papers. We couldn't make them do that, now, could we?
Going 'Beyond a Theme'. Let me think about what that means to me. Should I analyze and tear it up trying to find a glimpse of meaning? What is 'Beyond a Theme'? (I see the light!) Asking me what is beyond a theme is just like asking me what is beyond the universe. What is out there is only a speculation. Scientists have studied that question for centuries and still have no clear answer. I could let my mind wander around and just think up an answer as to what is out there.
Wandering - my mind does that a lot. And in the middle of classes of all times! That universe thing is stuck in my head now. I have the planetary system stuck to my ceiling in my room here. The planets are not spaced at the correct scale distances though. Sometimes they fall down because they don't have enough sticky stuff holding them up. The world is ending! That would be a good excuse for handing this paper in late! The planets glow in the dark too. Stars are also up on the ceiling. "Reach for the stars." I was always told that when I set myself some goals.
Earth to me! I am in my dormroom not spaced out in my ceiling planetary system.
This non-theme paper. How does it sound?
How to Cite this Page
"Going Beyond Theme Writing." 123HelpMe.com. 12 Dec 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Challange of Non-theme Writing "Practice makes perfect". Those are words to remember when attempting to do something new, something beyond your normal routine whether it be playing a sport, singing a song, or even writing in a different form. This thought occurred to me by accident as I grew frustrated with myself for not figuring out what would or would not be acceptable for this writing assignment. I put some music on to clear my head and perhaps stimulate a small portion of my brain that wasn't pulling its fair share in considering how to put this assignment together, and the third song I heard happened to be a song that a friend and I attempted to perform one year at a high school... [tags: Teaching Writing Education Essays]
1063 words (3 pages)
- Beyond the Meat Ok then, so far you have been told that the theme paper is the meat of the main course for the meal of college writing, and in order to excel in the process of education you must master the boundaries of the five paragraph dilemma. You must know how to use the knife and fork of discovery. To know the boundaries is to know style. You have learned the technique of writing (or eating a theme paper). Congratulations to yourself. You are well on your way to enlightenment or in the very least employment.... [tags: Writing Education Writer Essays]
1124 words (3.2 pages)
- My Thoughts on Writing The only thing I care about; the only thing I hope to get from this course, is some improvement in my ability to write what I think -- explain ideas and feelings to other people. I don't give a damn about anything else, and so far I haven't been disappointed. At the beginning of the course I was informed that we were going to be discussing exposition, which isn't so much a kind of writing as a purpose or attitude behind it. This purpose is to explore, unfold, or develop an idea or issue.... [tags: Writing Education School Essays]
4284 words (12.2 pages)
- Writing Mountains are tall. If you are stupid enough to jump off one you fall fast and you land hard. The five-paragraph theme is my mountain and I have just jumped right off it. There don't seem to be any outcroppings to grab for, and my assignment is to discuss my cliff as I continue to drop from it. So I will not grab. I will let myself fall, and hope for pillows at the end. I feel lost without my introduction to conclusion formula started at the beginning of this paper. Why do I have to do this assignment.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing Education Essays]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Reoccurring Theme of Death in the Poetry of Emily Dickinson There is a reoccurring theme of death in the poems of Emily Dickinson. This can be seen in poems such as “Because I Could Not Stop For Death”, “I Heard A Fly Buzz When I Died”, “My Life Has Stood A Loaded Gun,” “My Life Closed Twice Before It Closed,” “Heaven is What I Cannot Reach,” and “Death Sets A Thing Significant.” While some of Dickinson’s poems talk about death in an inviting and unafraid way others present the subject in tones of grief and sadness.... [tags: Death, Life, Emily Dickinson, Afterlife]
1728 words (4.9 pages)
- Expository Writing I really don't have any idea on where to start this paper, where it should go, and how it should end. It seems that I'm having a slight problem grasping the idea of expository writing. It's like when you were a kid trying to make it all the way across the monkey bars. You want to be able to reach that next rung and you try very hard, but somehow you just can't reach it. I seem to be having that problem. Right now, as I write, I'm not exactly sure I'm reaching the goal of this assignment, but this may be the best that it gets.... [tags: Teaching Education]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- Dear Professor and her Literate colleagues, I wish to thank everyone who impacted my education in any way and gave me motivation to keep studying when I felt like I did not have the ability nor the skills to continue my education. This course molded me into a better writer and made me enjoy writing more than anything else. The revisions that I made throughout the course allowed me to improve my sentence structures, organize my essays, and personalize them by creating a theme for the genre pertaining to each essay, and avoid writer’s block for my personal narrative and the research paper about Chicanos in education.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Learning, The Reader]
1164 words (3.3 pages)
- There are people existing among us with a special trait or characteristic that makes them stand out above the masses. They are “heroes” in a sense, who perform great acts of sacrifice and promote hope when it seems that the last drop of faith has evaporated from one’s soul. These individuals remind us of saints who walked before us, healing and caring for the sick and destitute when no other man dared. Author, Tracy Kidder (2004), brings to the forefront the noble deeds of a modern day saint, Paul Farmer, through his writing in Mountains Beyond Mountains.... [tags: Mountains Beyond Mountains Essays]
2613 words (7.5 pages)
- I Serve No Master; I Am Chaos Works Cited Missing Let's be blunt; you, Professor, want to know who is the person writing my papers. To be more clear, you want to know what is the difference between Bill, the person who writes the papers for your class, and the other Bill, who is a son, friend, brother, cohort in crime, and what other title is given to me. It is you who wants to know the voice behind this black ink and white paper, or the electrons if you read this off a computer screen. You have suggested that I, as well as the rest of the class, begin with our first paper.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
1623 words (4.6 pages)
- Theme Writing When I look at the first paper that I did for this class, I can see that what I wrote was theme writing. As a matter of fact I think this is an example that could be used to show people what it is that they shouldn't do when trying to move away from theme writing. I have used all the elements that I was taught in high school, and I can't seem to get rid of them. When I look at this paper I see a loose intro as to what it is that I would like to accomplish, I see four to five paragraphs of information, and a conclusion.... [tags: Education Teaching Writing Essays]
1400 words (4 pages)
I am beginning to think that the word 'theme' will be a cursed one for this class.
So I have already figured that 'Going Beyond a Theme' cannot be analyzed. Let us leave the analyzing to the hard core scientists. They can't find anything better to do than to sit and stare at weird experiments and try to better them. I am not a hard core scientist so I will not analyze. Analysis Paralysis - ingrained into me. That whole outside the universe idea isn't too bad. Aliens! They are... I don't know. Use your imagination! Is that how we are supposed to write? Maybe I get this! Aliens and non-theme writing. Who could have thought of a more bizarre combination? Is that what 'Beyond a Theme' is? Letting my mind wander and think up bizarre creations? Sound good to me.
Say the word 'Alien' to a hundred people and likely you will get one hundred different mental pictures of an alien. No one knows what they really look like (unless you are one). Purely speculation and imagination. Put that to non-theme writing. A person could write a piece and have a hundred people read it. A hundred different responses would be generated. What did we face in class as we read and discussed the readings? Some people take the idea surface as concrete. Others dig deeper and expound upon the given ideas. Still others pull in outside factors to add to the reading. So many different ways to respond to a piece of writing. So I guess that 'Going Beyond a Theme' would be any kind of writing (excluding that theme five paragraph ingrained stuff) that will generate a response.
Does this paper generate a response from anyone? Those hard core scientists won't like me because I will not implement their analyzing techniques. But those aliens will! Maybe this paper will bring interglobal peace and happiness between our world and another. Who knows.