Essay PreviewMore ↓
The service will soon end. When one reads the prior sentence what exactly does he see coming to an end? Depending upon one’s hobbies, peers, and cultural status, certain words may take on a sense of ambiguity. The definition as stated in The Oxford English Dictionary, “work done for somebody else as a job,” is seemingly accurate.
A possible influencing factor on one’s definition of service could be the SLWP work the entire WRA135 class has contributed to the YouVote website. With the dedicated service to the website, and in turn the viewing community, the student may have come to view the word service as a term describing the help of others.
Throughout the years the definition of service has developed according to the morals of the times and situations. The ubiquitous concept of slavery in the 1800’s could have affected the definitions recorded in The Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, which defines service as, “the menial business of a servant; anything done by way of duty to a master.” Along with the turn of the millennium came worries of war, and American citizens placed emphasis on our armed forces. With these thoughts imbedded in the authors’ minds it is not surprising that an emphasized definition of service in The Encarta World English Dictionary is stated as, “a government agency; armed forces.”
After the principles of a certain time period have faded away the usage of a word associated with these principles begins to diminish as well, and the word may take on a newly developed meaning. Perhaps due to this theory, one may not be familiar with one of the many definitions of the word service. According to The Encarta World English Dictionary one description of the meaning of the word service is, “copulation with a female animal. Used of male animals, especially studs.”
Not because of unfamiliarity, but because one may have never really stopped to examine the many variations in definitions, one may not have realized how often the word service can be applied to many varying situations. For example Oxford’s English Dictionary’s entry of service states, “active devotion to God, as through good works or prayer.” An individual could have forgotten, but has now been reminded, of this form of service.
With a newly gained open-minded outlook on vocabulary, in particular the word service, one should be able to recognize the many ambiguities words have to offer.
How to Cite this Page
"Definition Essay - The Many Ways to Define Service." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Definition Essay – Defining Community How would someone define the word community? A community could be anything. If one were to listen to an everyday conservation, the word community, would probably be used very little. The word community has multiple meanings, ranging from communist or socialistic society (Emerson) to the quality of appertaining to or being held by all in common (Oxford). Due to the many meanings of the word community, people have learned to substitute community for other words. Most of the definitions are common has in a society linked by common interests but, would you really say a buffalo community? Of course not, you would say a herd of buffalo. Unfortunately,... [tags: Definition Essays]
444 words (1.3 pages)
- Introduction Marketing is very important to the success of a business. Before people can buy a product or service they have to know about it. However, marketing entails more than just letting people know what your company has to offer. Throughout this paper, I will define marketing, offering my personal definition as well as more formal definitions from other sources. Furthermore, I will explain to the reader the importance of marketing to organizational success giving real world examples in support of this explanation.... [tags: Definition Essays]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- Introduction In this paper I will define marketing in my own words and also research what the definition is using two different sources. While supporting my answers with three examples from the business world, I will show the importance of marketing. Marketing applies to many different areas of an organization and after close review I will make it clear on how it relates. Personal Definition Marketing is how a company or organization promotes the service or product the company uses to create revenue.... [tags: Research Paper Marketing Definition]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- Service user involvement and participation has become a standard principle in guiding social care planning in order to improve in the developing and delivery of service to meet diverse and complex needs in a more effective way. Key pieces of legislation states plainly that service users through a partnership approach should be enabled to have voice on how the services they are using should be delivered (Letchfield, 2009). The Scottish Executive (2006a:32) helpfully state ‘Increasing personalisation of services is both an unavoidable and desirable direction of travel for social work services.... [tags: social care, adults, delivery, social work]
2635 words (7.5 pages)
- ... Despite the fact that U.S. Black women particularly have expended considerable energy on defining Black womanhood, definitional tensions still persist, accompanied by obstacles that come with changing political climates (Collins, 2009). Despite these difficulties, finding some sort of common ground for Black feminist thought is crucial. As U.S. Black feminist Pearl Cleage (1993) states, “we have to see clearly that we are an unique group, set undeniably apart because of race and sex with a unique set of challenges.” Kolawole argues that when African women are given the opportunity to define themselves, then the dogmatic imposition of “isms” will stop and movement towards the empowerment... [tags: fighting for freedom, justice and equality]
1869 words (5.3 pages)
- The Role of Public Service Discipline: In Debra Gray’s book: BTEC National Public Service (uniformed) Book 1: discipline is described as obedience to authority. Discipline is necessary in all of the Public Services as it moulds people’s behaviour. It can do this in many ways such as causing fear of punishment, offering material rewards, or by offering opportunities if promotion. The main internet source of definitions I found was www.wikipedia.co.uk here I found definitions such as: Y A system of rules of conduct or method of practice; "he quickly learned the discipline of prison routine"; "for such a plan to work requires discipline"; Y the trait of bein... [tags: Papers]
4522 words (12.9 pages)
- The greatest of all heroic acts often crush the status quo and modern definition of a true hero. For decades adolescent children around the world have been conditioned to mentally define the word hero as it relates to comic characters. Comic publications such as Marvel Comics and competitor D.C. Comics have created cape wielding, web casting, and morphing characters that often transpose the understanding of what makes a true hero. In addition to comics, television has played a part in defining a hero by shows such as; James Cameron’s production of Avatar and Jon Favreau’s production of Ironman.... [tags: Definition of a Hero]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- The Intangible Necessity Works Cited Missing Introduction It’s the strategic interface between marketing and logistics, it adds value to any given product, yet it’s intangible – what is it. The answer is simple: customer service. “Customer service has been an issue since the early 1970’s” (Cavinato 60). Though it’s long been considered an issue, it’s important to remember that there isn’t one set formula to developing customer service, it’s more of a mindset (Cavinato 61). Customer service is usually only considered between retailers and end users; however, customer service is the “fuel that drives the logistics supply chain engine” (Coyle 92).... [tags: Customer Service Research Papers]
1783 words (5.1 pages)
- Definition Essay- Defining Service Being raised in a Christian faith and family, you’re likely to hear the word “service” quite a bit. Not ever truly being interested in the denotation of this word, I always referred to the church holding services, in which were usually, programs that contain dedicated members of the church. Oxford American Dictionary says describes it as “a meeting of a congregation for worship of God, a religious ceremony. Religion being such a sensitive issue for many people, and because there are so many opinions concerning it out there, connotations for words frequently used in it are not widely talked about.... [tags: Definition Essays]
480 words (1.4 pages)
- What is marketing. Merriam-Webster defines marketing as the act or process of selling or purchasing in a market. (Merriam-Webster, 2007) The American Market Association define marketing as an organizational function and a set of process for creating, communicating and delivering value to customers and for managing customer relationships in ways that benefit the organization. (American Marketing Association, 2006) Why is marketing an important factor in order for a business to be successful. Marketing plays a vital role in the success of an organization as well as in economic growth and development.... [tags: Definition Essays]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
* "Service." The Oxford English Dictionary. Second Edition. Clarendon Press. 1989.
* “Service.” The Encarta World English Dictionary. St. Martin’s Press. 1999.
* “Service.” The Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, Electronic Version. Christian Technologies, Inc.1998. http://www.christiantech.com