Essay PreviewMore ↓
The service will soon end. When one reads the prior sentence what exactly does he see coming to an end? Depending upon one’s hobbies, peers, and cultural status, certain words may take on a sense of ambiguity. The definition as stated in The Oxford English Dictionary, “work done for somebody else as a job,” is seemingly accurate.
A possible influencing factor on one’s definition of service could be the SLWP work the entire WRA135 class has contributed to the YouVote website. With the dedicated service to the website, and in turn the viewing community, the student may have come to view the word service as a term describing the help of others.
Throughout the years the definition of service has developed according to the morals of the times and situations. The ubiquitous concept of slavery in the 1800’s could have affected the definitions recorded in The Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, which defines service as, “the menial business of a servant; anything done by way of duty to a master.” Along with the turn of the millennium came worries of war, and American citizens placed emphasis on our armed forces. With these thoughts imbedded in the authors’ minds it is not surprising that an emphasized definition of service in The Encarta World English Dictionary is stated as, “a government agency; armed forces.”
After the principles of a certain time period have faded away the usage of a word associated with these principles begins to diminish as well, and the word may take on a newly developed meaning. Perhaps due to this theory, one may not be familiar with one of the many definitions of the word service. According to The Encarta World English Dictionary one description of the meaning of the word service is, “copulation with a female animal. Used of male animals, especially studs.”
Not because of unfamiliarity, but because one may have never really stopped to examine the many variations in definitions, one may not have realized how often the word service can be applied to many varying situations. For example Oxford’s English Dictionary’s entry of service states, “active devotion to God, as through good works or prayer.” An individual could have forgotten, but has now been reminded, of this form of service.
With a newly gained open-minded outlook on vocabulary, in particular the word service, one should be able to recognize the many ambiguities words have to offer.
How to Cite this Page
"Definition Essay - The Many Ways to Define Service." 123HelpMe.com. 12 Nov 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Definition Essay – Defining Community How would someone define the word community? A community could be anything. If one were to listen to an everyday conservation, the word community, would probably be used very little. The word community has multiple meanings, ranging from communist or socialistic society (Emerson) to the quality of appertaining to or being held by all in common (Oxford). Due to the many meanings of the word community, people have learned to substitute community for other words. Most of the definitions are common has in a society linked by common interests but, would you really say a buffalo community? Of course not, you would say a herd of buffalo. Unfortunately,... [tags: Definition Essays]
444 words (1.3 pages)
- Introduction Marketing is very important to the success of a business. Before people can buy a product or service they have to know about it. However, marketing entails more than just letting people know what your company has to offer. Throughout this paper, I will define marketing, offering my personal definition as well as more formal definitions from other sources. Furthermore, I will explain to the reader the importance of marketing to organizational success giving real world examples in support of this explanation.... [tags: Definition Essays]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- Introduction In this paper I will define marketing in my own words and also research what the definition is using two different sources. While supporting my answers with three examples from the business world, I will show the importance of marketing. Marketing applies to many different areas of an organization and after close review I will make it clear on how it relates. Personal Definition Marketing is how a company or organization promotes the service or product the company uses to create revenue.... [tags: Research Paper Marketing Definition]
938 words (2.7 pages)
- Service user involvement and participation has become a standard principle in guiding social care planning in order to improve in the developing and delivery of service to meet diverse and complex needs in a more effective way. Key pieces of legislation states plainly that service users through a partnership approach should be enabled to have voice on how the services they are using should be delivered (Letchfield, 2009). The Scottish Executive (2006a:32) helpfully state ‘Increasing personalisation of services is both an unavoidable and desirable direction of travel for social work services.... [tags: social care, adults, delivery, social work]
2635 words (7.5 pages)
- ... Person “B” was found on the north point of the barracks, when asked why he waited there, he stated that was the front of the barracks since that is where he parked his car. I had defined the front of the building as the broadest segment facing a large parking lot. Who was right. We all were for the reason that our definition of the front of the barracks meant different locations to us. Knowing that regarding each other will help us define what one suggests when the statement “meet me in front of the barracks” is articulated we know where to go based on who said it.... [tags: Communication, Nonverbal communication, Writing]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Despite the fact that U.S. Black women particularly have expended considerable energy on defining Black womanhood, definitional tensions still persist, accompanied by obstacles that come with changing political climates (Collins, 2009). Despite these difficulties, finding some sort of common ground for Black feminist thought is crucial. As U.S. Black feminist Pearl Cleage (1993) states, “we have to see clearly that we are an unique group, set undeniably apart because of race and sex with a unique set of challenges.” Kolawole argues that when African women are given the opportunity to define themselves, then the dogmatic imposition of “isms” will stop and movement towards the empowerment... [tags: fighting for freedom, justice and equality]
1869 words (5.3 pages)
- The greatest of all heroic acts often crush the status quo and modern definition of a true hero. For decades adolescent children around the world have been conditioned to mentally define the word hero as it relates to comic characters. Comic publications such as Marvel Comics and competitor D.C. Comics have created cape wielding, web casting, and morphing characters that often transpose the understanding of what makes a true hero. In addition to comics, television has played a part in defining a hero by shows such as; James Cameron’s production of Avatar and Jon Favreau’s production of Ironman.... [tags: Definition of a Hero]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- ... This focuses on environmental, socio-economic, social economic networks and culture (Wilson and Mabhala, 2013). This approach pays attention to the population rather than the individuals prioritising health preference and resource distribution, as well as the active participation of service users as representatives. Therefore Nice (2005) recognises the fact that all factors needs to be dealt with to make a better health and service delivery. Thus O’Connell (2010) states that improving accessibility to quality healthcare and health outcomes, requires the awareness of social determinants to health which include housing neighbourhood characteristics.... [tags: Public health, Medicine, Health, Health care]
3409 words (9.7 pages)
- The Role of Public Service Discipline: In Debra Gray’s book: BTEC National Public Service (uniformed) Book 1: discipline is described as obedience to authority. Discipline is necessary in all of the Public Services as it moulds people’s behaviour. It can do this in many ways such as causing fear of punishment, offering material rewards, or by offering opportunities if promotion. The main internet source of definitions I found was www.wikipedia.co.uk here I found definitions such as: Y A system of rules of conduct or method of practice; "he quickly learned the discipline of prison routine"; "for such a plan to work requires discipline"; Y the trait of bein... [tags: Papers]
4522 words (12.9 pages)
- ... If the retirees maintain good health and social interactions along with high self-esteem and minimal feelings of loneliness, then adjustment was positive (Lo and Brown, 1999). This is just one way of looking at successful retirement adjustment, researchers who interviewed Dutch citizens in 2015 explore another definition. Damman, Henkens and Kalmijn (2015) defines adjustment to retirement as “The process of getting used to the changed circumstances of life in retirement”. Instead of looking at the social, financial and health of retirees the researchers observed the adjustment to the loss of work and satisfaction with the new lifestyle.... [tags: Health, Sociology, Definition, Personal life]
943 words (2.7 pages)
* "Service." The Oxford English Dictionary. Second Edition. Clarendon Press. 1989.
* “Service.” The Encarta World English Dictionary. St. Martin’s Press. 1999.
* “Service.” The Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, Electronic Version. Christian Technologies, Inc.1998. http://www.christiantech.com