Essay PreviewMore ↓
The Masque of Red Death
People don't really have that much in common, but they do have one
big thing in common, that is death. Death is the one thing that no one can
stop. The short story "The Masque of Red Death," by Edger Allen Poe shows
how that statement is true. Poe was a man who had had many experiences
with a disease that killed many people in his life, in his story "The
Masque of Red Death," he uses a lot of symbolic messages to express his
views and feelings on that disease.
Edger Allan Poe stated out with a home life that wasn't very stable.
His blood father left when Poe was about one. His mother was an actress
that moved Poe's sister, brother , and himself around a lot. Then when he
was three she died of tuberculoses. After his mothers death Poe was
separated from his sister and brother.
Poe was sent to the Allen family. Then when Poe was in his early
twenties Mrs. Allen also died of tuberculoses. At the age of twenty-six
Poe married his cousin Virginia. She later died of tuberculoses. His
brother died of tuberculoses also.
In "The Masque of Red Death," Poe uses color as a symbol. He used
the colors red, blue, purple, green, orange, white, violet, and black. In
the story red stand for the death that comes over everyone in the story.
In Poe's life it stands for the diseases that has killed everyone important
to him, tuberculoses. Blue is the color of the first room, in Poe's life
it is supposed to be him. The second room in the story is the color purple,
this color is for Poe's mother. Then there is a green room, this room is
for his brother. There was also an orange room for Poe's foster mother,
Mrs. Allan. The white room was for his wife Virginia, and the violet room
for her death. Last there was the black room, which was for Poe's death.
What is time? Is time something that people just made up ? Poe
seems to think that it means life. In the story a clock symbolizes life.
In the story every time the clock would time the hour the party would stop,
How to Cite this Page
"Poe's The Masque (Mask) of the Red Death." 123HelpMe.com. 06 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- No matter what you do or how far you try to run away from it, death will always find you. In the short story, “Masque of the Red Death,” Edgar Allen Poe tells a story of plague and desperation. A disease known only as the “Red Death” overtakes a small kingdom. There is no cure, and those who suffer from the disease only have thirty minutes to live before they begin bleeding out of every orifice. The prince of the kingdom flees to a remote castle, bringing a limited number of people with him. They throw a large party in the castle, celebrating their escape from the plague.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death]
1102 words (3.1 pages)
- Reading “The Masque of Red Death” by Edgar Allan Poe places the reader in an interesting scene. It starts into a masquerade scene, and there is a lot of splendor and wealth to be seen. This merry scene contrasts the scene outside of the castle though. The surrounding area is under the effects of a plague. This medieval style setup pave the way for a deeper understanding for the reader based on historical context. While this might seem to be a story about medieval culture, it is actual a reflection of some events during its publication time.... [tags: Edgar Allan Poe, The Masque of the Red Death]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Death in Edgar Allan Poe's Life and The Masque of the Red Death As a man surrounded by death and horrible happenings, it is no wonder that almost the entire collection of Edgar Allan Poe's works is about death. When Poe was very young, his father left his mother alone with three young children. At the age of two, Poe lost his mother. Many other deaths and terrible occurrences manifested themselves in Poe's life, from the refusal of his adoptive father, John Allan, to accept Poe's attempts at reconciliation, to the request he could not fulfill of his dying adoptive mother, Fanny Allan.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays Poe]
1466 words (4.2 pages)
- The Masque of Red Death People don't really have that much in common, but they do have one big thing in common, that is death. Death is the one thing that no one can stop. The short story "The Masque of Red Death," by Edger Allen Poe shows how that statement is true. Poe was a man who had had many experiences with a disease that killed many people in his life, in his story "The Masque of Red Death," he uses a lot of symbolic messages to express his views and feelings on that disease.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
555 words (1.6 pages)
- Use of Setting in The Masque of the Red Death "...In the black chamber the effect of the fire-light that streamed upon the black hangings through the blood-tinted panes was ghastly in the extreme, and produced so wild a look upon the countenances of those who entered, that there were few of the company bold enough to set foot within its precincts at all" (210). This quote serves to demonstrates Edgar Allan Poe's descriptive abilities. In "The Masque of the Red Death" Poe gives much detail about the setting.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
610 words (1.7 pages)
- Use of Contrasts in The Masque of the Red Death "There were buffoons, there were improvisatori, there were ballet-dansers, there were musicians, there was beauty, there was wine. All these and security within. Without was the Red Death." (Poe, 209) In the short story, The Masque of the Red Death, Edgar Allen Poe uses the sanctity within the abbey walls to juxtapose the harshness and inescapable nature of the Red Death. The author uses the contrasts between the abbey and the Red Death to reveal the true character of Prince Prospero, to suggest the presence of the Red Death in the abbey, and to aide in the climax of events.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
583 words (1.7 pages)
- Dichotomy of Colors in The Masque of Red Death In "The Masque of Red Death," Poe uses aural, visual, and kinetic images to create the effect of fear in a joyful masque. Poe starts off with a description of the "Red Death." He gives gory detail of how it seals one's fate with Blood. He tells of pain, horror and bleeding. Moreover, the pestilence kills quickly and alienates the sick. This is Poe's image of death. He only bothers to tell it's symptoms. He doesn't go into the fear present in the lives of people with the disease.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Human Denial in The Masque of Red Death In "The Masque of Red Death", Edgar Allen Poe tells a story of human denial and struggle with death, especially among the wealthy. Poe uses powerful images of sensual texture, color and symbols to show the passing of time and life. Prince Prospero along with "a thousand hale and lighthearted friends from among the knights and dames of his court" (202) sought a haven from the "Red Death" that is devastating the country. They lived together in the prince's luxurious abbey with all the amenities and securities imaginable.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Themes and Symbols in The Masque of the Red Death The literature of Edgar Allan Poe can either be viewed as extremely simple or incredibly complicated, and his short story "The Masque of The Red Death" is no exception. This story can either be viewed as a simple story of horror, with no deeper imbedded meanings, or it can be broken down into many symbols with several possible meanings. Perhaps this story tells of the struggle between man and death, perhaps it speaks of an author's struggles and dreams, or perhaps it was merely written as a tale of horror.... [tags: Mask Masque Red Death Essays]
1501 words (4.3 pages)
- "The Red Death had long devastated the country. No pestilence had ever been so fatal or so hideous. Blood was its Avatar and it seal - the redness and the horror of blood..." - Edgar Allan Poe (Regarding the plague of the Red Death) The plague Edgar Allan Poe spoke of in his short story The Masque of the Red Death was one of complete and utter misery that defaced whomever it struck. While this pestilence was surging throughout the country mentioned in the story, a man by the name of Prince Prospero decided to attempt to cheat death out of its cold and icy grip.... [tags: The Masque of the Red Death]
1871 words (5.3 pages)
because everyone wanted to make sure that there time was not yet over.
Another thing that Poe uses to show life is east and west. He had all the
rooms start in the east and end in the west. When you where in the east
you were very much alive and the closer you got to the west the closer to
death you were until you finally got to the west where you would die when
you reached it.
One more thing is the Prince, in the story the Prince tries to save
everyone, but in the end they all died. This is much like Poe, Poe tried
to protect everyone so much but they still all died. The last thing is
that the party the Prince was having was a masquerade. Which is just like
life according to Poe. He was saying that everyone is always wearing a
mask through life, but that we really shouldn't, because we are all have
the same fait, death!