Essay PreviewMore ↓
Media consumption patterns are slowly but steadily changing the digital home, and wireless connectivity enables similar changes outside the home. Disruptive technologies liberalized content release windows, regulatory changes, and a myriad of factors could dramatically change current trend lines of the customers. Before we start, let me first explain about the historical media disruptors. Firstly, the television forces radio out of national spotlight into locally based medium and then came the cable television, which evolves from relaying distant signals to narrow casting medium. Alternative newspapers emerge from counterculture voice to market threat, competing for advertisement revenue. Commercialization of the Internet and Web force “traditional” media to face the future and fight for advertisement revenue and consumer attention. The next generation of media, which is the DMB(Digital Multimedia Broadcasting), is now threatening the rest of the media.
2. What is DMB (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting)?
According to the web-site scala.com, the definition of DMB is the process of broadcasting multimedia over the Internet, or satellite, to be tuned in by multimedia receivers, or players, capable of playing back the multimedia program. Through a process called multicast, a single broadcast can send programming to thousands of receivers, which can play back the content individualized to the location. This is one of the advantages of multimedia broadcasting over traditional video broadcasting.
In other words, DMB is a new kind of Convergence Service that is a combination of the characteristics broadcasting to public or private which can be used as a means of strengthen functions of multimedia and entertainment of Cell phone.
There are two types of DMB, Which is the ground wave DMB and satellite DMB. Ground wave DMB is a Digital broadcasting service that is transmitted through the transition tower on the ground and free watching service can be made possible. Satellite DMB is a charged satellite service that can be watched anywhere through a private portable devices.
3. Four Characteristics and Advantages of satellite DMB
• New Media - Overcame the limitations time and place of existing broadcasters
• Mobility - Can be connected anywhere through portable devices
• Personal - Individual media
• Multimedia - Can freely use the contents through voice, data and video and can be connected freely in cell phones and wireless Internet
4. Stages of the introduction of DMB
- Research of DAB started in Europe during the late 1980s
- EUREKA-147 project started in 1987
- EUREKA-147 adapted as Europe' standard on Feb, 1995
- BBC started the ground wave DAB service on Sep, 1995
How to Cite this Page
"Digital Multimedia Broadcasting." 123HelpMe.com. 21 Nov 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Multimedia As a technology, it is called multimedia. As a revolution, it is the sum of many revolutions wrapped into one: A revolution in communication that combines the audio visual power of television, the publishing power of the printing press, and the interactive power of the computer. Multimedia is the convergence of these different professions, once thought independent of one another, coming together to form a new technological approach to the way information and ideas are shared. What will society look like under the evolving institutions of interactive multimedia technologies.... [tags: science]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- INTRODUCTION At just a quarter of a century in governing regulations, listening to complains and making recommendations, while maintaining the standards of the laws of Jamaica as it is concerned with the media. There is one inevitable aspect the Broadcasting Commission has to continuously keep abreast with, and that is change. “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” – Charles Darwin As Jamaica and the rest of the world gradually moves into the future, an ever so rapidly revolving future that is more technologically advanced than it was, 25 years ago.... [tags: Revolution, Future, Life]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- A Look into Digital Broadcasting Digital Broadcasting will have a fundamental effect on viewing patterns, popular culture and audience identity. This will be done firstly by looking at the history of the BBC and the original intention of Public Service Broadcasting. It will discuss how by John Reith’s successful approach to broadcasting, the BBC became a National Institution creating popular culture and a National Identity. It will examine how these first steps and ideas have major role in the introduction of Digital Broadcasting today and whether the initial ‘Reithian’ values have any meaning in today’s society.... [tags: Digital Broadcasting Technology Television Essays]
3096 words (8.8 pages)
- It is said that we are now entering an era of digital revolution. 'Cyberspace' has become the new place for people around the world to communicate, “surfing the internet” is no longer a novel phrase, people can 'friend' and 'unfriend' someone he or she has never met over social networks and you can chat with a monkey over the Internet for maybe half an hour without realizing the true identity of the other 'person'. One may say that aspects of cyberspace are surreal, maybe even bizarre but I think this is exactly why the digital world is so amazing.... [tags: internet, computers]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- What Digital Music Distribution is and Why it is Significant What's at Stake. Traditionally, music has been recorded to physical media, like CD or cassette now or like vinyl in the past, and distributed to music consumers through retail stores. "Digital music distribution" simply involves the transport of the product, recorded music, to the consumer via a non-physical, digital method According to Mark Hardie, a senior analyst at Forrester Research, "consumers want a digital music format that allows a great deal more control of the content they choose…it is inevitable that we will have a music industry that distributes it products digitally.” Music recording industry - annual worldwide re... [tags: Music Technology MP3 Consumerism Essays]
4558 words (13 pages)
- Recently, security has become one of the most significant and challenging problems for spreading new information technology. Since digital data can easily be copied, multiplied without information loss, and manipulated without any detection, security solutions are required, which encounter these threats. Security solutions are especially of interest for such fields as distributed production processes and electronic commerce, since their producers provide only access control mechanisms to prevent misuse and theft of material.... [tags: multimedia surveillance, data security]
2629 words (7.5 pages)
- Presenting materials by using both words and pictures and those that integrate sound, voice, and animation, is one definition of multimedia. Examples of multimedia technologies are YouTube, Flickr, Wikipedia, blog, PowerPoint presentations, cameras, videos, and DVDs. These are just a few of the more common multimedia tools. When using multimedia to communicate information to students, multimedia learning happens. Multimedia in education is important; it allows students to learn skills that are important to life in the 21st century.... [tags: Technology, Digital Learning]
1958 words (5.6 pages)
- “Bosh rebound, out to Allen, Allen…BANG!” shouts Jeff Van Gundy, the broadcaster for the Miami Heat. Broadcasting is a profession that requires speech and writing skills to announce live sport games for viewers to listen. When broadcasting a live game, the main goal is to keep the spectators entertained (Ferguson Publishing Company 72). Sports casting is an underrated profession because of how important their role is to the game. Broadcasters not only entertain fans but also add exciting commentary that explains the game and gives details about statistics.... [tags: Broadcasting Career]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- ... That was the basis on which MPEG – 21 Multimedia Framework was formed and developed. It addresses the issues stated below: How to access, delivery, management and protection of different types of content in a seamless fashion in order for them to be completely transparent for the many users of multimedia services and also, taking into account: o Digital rights management (DRM) requirements  o Multimedia access and delivery using heterogeneous networks and terminals  How to protect the rights of people who publish contents (wherein a world is envisioned in which physical boundaries do not stop the flow of content) MPEG – 21 aims to give new tools to the consumers to deal with t... [tags: digital rights management, data, information]
933 words (2.7 pages)
- Broadcasting in the UK Introduction: Broadcasting, the transmission of information by radio or television, is a major factor affecting the television industry today. Broadcasting is currently achieved through analogue, a system that has existed since television began in the 1940’s and 50’s. "Analogue converts sound and pictures into waves, which are then transmitted through the air and picked up by our rooftops or indoor aerials." But, because of rapid technological advances in the modern era, analogue will soon be obsolete, and is presently in the process of being replaced by digital broadcasting, the new form of broadcasting that "turns pictures and sound into computer language, which c... [tags: Television TV Antenna Digital Essays Papers]
1741 words (5 pages)
5. The current DMB trends of the world
DMB has its roots in DAB. DMB is designed to broadcast television and video to mobile handsets, in parallel with existing DAB services. Both audio and data can be integrated where a DAB infrastructure already exists. A DAB network is already available to 80 percent of Europe and there are more than 800 DAB services reaching 475 million people in 40 countries around the world.
According to the website rndbiz.com, DMB market scale of the world was about $325 million last year, and is forecasted to arrive $770 million in 2006, $1102 million in 2007 and about 3 billion dollars in 2012. Especially, Germany World Cup in 2006 and Beijing Olympic in 2008 that DMB service is enforced regularly may act to good news to DMB industry, and ground wave DMB test service that is enforced for Germany World Cup period will be performed by South Korea. From 2005 to 2012, huge growth of DMB market is expected by yearly rate of 34%.
6. The current DMB trend of the USA
The USA is currently developing audio based DAB service and is forming competition market as primary DMB providers such as world space, XM radio, and Sirius radio are competing in the market.
The XM radio is the biggest satellite DAB provider in the USA, and acquired satellite DAB license by allocating frequency through auction from FCC in 1997. According to the XM Radio website, XM Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: XMSR), the USA's leading satellite radio company with more than 4.4 million subscribers, today announced that it has made a strategic investment of $25 million in the common stock of WorldSpace, Inc., a leading satellite radio provider for Asia, Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
In connection with the investment, XM will cooperate with WorldSpace to develop satellite radio products, technology and distribution and supplier networks. In addition, XM will have warrants to acquire $37.5 million in additional WorldSpace stock and an option to invest along with WorldSpace and other partners in various countries around the world.
7. Current DMB devices in market
LG has launched the LG SB130/KB1300 DMB handset, the first phone to feature the "time machine" function. This technology enables users to record the program while receiving calls and play the recorded program later. It can record up to 60 minutes.
Other features of this handset include a QVGA screen, a 3 megapixel camera with auto-focus, MP3 player, 300MB of memory. and TV-Out.
Samsung has announced the "Navigation Mobile TV" a new navigational device that receives real-time traffic information via "TPEG Technology" (process of telematics data being transferred over a DMB network) The device features a 3.5" VGA display and runs on the Pocket PC 2003 platform, and in addition to navigational functions, can also receive DMB video broadcasts.
This cell phone from samsung is a DMB phone. That means satellite TV on the go. You can watch that TV on the 2.2 inch QVGA screen. It has a TV-out feature so that you can watch images on a big screen. When you want to use the phone as a PDA, you just swivel the screen around and use the keyboard. And by keyboard I mean full QWERTY keyboard. It even looks to be big enough to be functional.
8. The significance of the appearance of DMB and the task of the government
In the article “ETRI Plays a Leading Role in Spread of DMB”, Yim Chu hwan, president of the Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute, said that the spread of DMB technology will lead to the exports of terminals, application solutions as well as contents. Accordingly, its economic ripple effect is unlikely to be small as the diffusion of DMB technology is expected to enhance. Once DMB service is commercialized, it will improve convenience and quality of life for many since people will be able to access broadcasting service irrespective of location.
The barrier of price caused the stagnation of the mobile activated DMB as a new platform. And the appearance of DMB opened the possibility that we had now reached the era of personal media.
Therefore the government must first need to establish the strategy and policy of multi-platform. In the point of view of consumers, the appearance of DMB allowed a wide range of choices for them and in this case the government must approach the policy of multi-platform policy, not the multi-channel policy. Therefore the government must now make clear of the idea of the introduction of DMB and reorganize the structure of the media industry.
• "ETRI Plays a Leading Role in Spread of DMB" Korea IT Times Magazine Vol. 7 / January 2005
• " ETSI approves Digital Multimedia Broadcasting standards" e-newsletter, 17 Aug. 2005.
• Monty Metzger. "Trend : Digital Multimedia Broadcasting" Technology Trend. 20 Nov. 2005.
• T.O Whenham " Samsung SPH H1000 - DMB phone with QWERTY keyboard” Phonyworld. 22 Dec. 2005.
• "LG DMB TV phone launched" 7 Dec. 2005.
• "Samsung Electronics, telemetrics DMB device” 5 Sep. 2005.
• “Corporate information.” XM satellite radio. 14 April