Essay PreviewMore ↓
The Person I Admire Most, and Why
Throughout grade school, I was an average student in academic subjects, partly because I was embarrassed about my accent. Things were even worse in P.E. I always tried to hide when my classmates picked teams for sports because I felt so awkward. When we played baseball or kickball, I always seemed to stumble in front of my classmates. Because I believed I was horrible at physical activities, without really even trying, I had no confidence and felt embarrassed about performing in front of others. Soon I even lost what confidence I had in the classroom and stopped raising my hand to answer questions, even when I knew the answer.
My seventh grade year started off just the same. But, in spring semester when track season started, everything changed. That's when I encountered the person I admire the most, the person to whom I attribute my success as an athlete and my belief in myself. He recognized a hidden talent in me and encouraged me to develop it.
That person is my seventh grade P.E. instructor, Coach García. One afternoon, during P.E., Coach García marched us onto the track and divided us into groups for relay races. He started talking, and the first thing I noticed was that he spoke with an accent, too. But soon I started paying more attention to what he was saying how teamwork is such an important element for the relay race because we would have to pass the baton to our teammates. He could see that I was hanging back. Every time he said, "Remember, do your best because your teammates need you," he seemed to be talking directly to me!
At the practices, I kept hearing his phrase, "Your teammates need you." Even though I couldn't see how my teammates would need me, since I could never seem to play any sport, when we went to our first track meet, I decided to test Coach García's theory. When I received the baton, I darted away from the starting line, running as fast as I could. I pushed myself that day, something I had never done before in P.E. I started off so fast that I gave my team a great lead, and we won the race.
How to Cite this Page
"The Person I Admire Most, and Why." 123HelpMe.com. 03 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. According to Kouzes and Posner’s research, what four characteristics do people most look for and admire in a leader, someone whose direction they would willingly follow. Briefly describe each characteristic. Answer: According to Kouzes and Posner people most admire a leader that is, “Honest Forward-looking, Competent, Inspiring” (Kouzes & Posner, 2012, p.33). A leader that is honest is holding to the truth, guiding their people through honest feedback, reviews and advice. These leaders gain trust, respect and cooperation by sharing honest information with all.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leadership development]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- I’ve been influenced by many people in my life; unfortunately, most of them have not been good influences. However, since I became a Christian, having positive, influential people in my life is normal. Moreover, there is one person, in particular, other than Jesus, who has influenced my life tremendously and continues to do so; his name is Issac Detiz. I have learned a great deal from him and his work, and my life has never been better. Furthermore, Issac Deitz is a major influence in my life several reasons.... [tags: Reflection]
624 words (1.8 pages)
- A hero is a person who you love or admire. A hero doesn’t want reward, a hero wants a support or a help from a person. We are all hero but we see ourselves as nothing, to be a hero you have to have some factors like bravery and sacrifice. Any person in the world can be hero even the young person could be strong hero in future. A hero doesn’t have to kill many solider in a war to be hero even small sacrifice for a poor person could consider as heroism. For example, someone needs a blood to be alive and you donate part of your blood to give him chance to be alive, in this example you made a small favor for parson you see it as nothing but in it is more valuable than what you think.... [tags: listen, president, admire]
792 words (2.3 pages)
- There are many women that have an impact on my life; however, the question is how many of them do I look up to. Of course the most obvious person is my very own mother, but that made me think who else deserves to join this circle of reverence. Some names entered my mind, but do I really admire them. It is clear that women that enter my daily life like Oprah Winfrey have an impression on me, but impact and admiration do not always go hand in hand. Then I realized who I really admire: Britney Spears.... [tags: essays research papers]
525 words (1.5 pages)
- This lady is the most wonderful person I 've ever met. She is old, affectionate, and intelligent. It took me eighteen years to realize how much this extraordinary person influenced my life. She 's the type of person who charms everyone with her stories and experiences. She always time for her family and friends. She is the kind of leader who does everything to keep her family together and in harmony. She is my grandmother. Growing up with such admirable as my grandmother, I was able to develop many of her qualities.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Grandma Moses, 2006 singles]
942 words (2.7 pages)
- It is easy to say that a parent has had the most influence on your life, they taught you how to walk, talk, drink and among many other things hopefully right from wrong. A good parent is there for you most of your life, quick to lend a hand or offer advice (unless it’s your mother-in-law) when needed, but the trait that impacted my life the most was the integrity my father exhibited with me and the people lucky enough to have met him. My Father was born to a farmer in NJ a few short years after the depression, learned the lessons that only hard labor can teach from a young age.... [tags: Essay About My Family, Personal Narrative]
866 words (2.5 pages)
- What qualities does a hero have. Is it someone who inspires us, or someone who you simply admire. A hero to me is someone who is brave, a leader, intelligent, and strong. A hero has to be able to sacrifice himself for others. A hero is someone who doesn’t look down on others, but someone who encourages others to look up to them. Odysseus, man of many wiles, husband of Penelope, father of Telemachus, Son of Laertes and Anticlea has all the qualities of a hero, but also has some flaws. Odysseus seems to be more than the average person, therefore he is an average person with a mixture of good and bad qualities.... [tags: heroism, Odysseus, leadership]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- As children grow up they always look up to someone special in their life, someone that they can trust and is always there for them. This person is someone they admire and hope to be like someday. The person that I’ve described best fits my Grandma. She knows all the right things and is there whenever I need her. My grandma is one of the most important people in my life and I’m so happy that I have her. Since birth the one person that was always by my side except for my family was my Grandma. Once my parents needed to go back to work she was there everyday to watch over me.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
869 words (2.5 pages)
- Around 69 B.C, one of the most famous female rulers ever known was born, she was Cleopatra. She was the descendent of the Egyptian ruler, Ptolemy XII, and she would eventually became the queen of ancient Egypt herself. She was known for being extremely intelligent and very charming, and because of this many romans feared her and viewed her as a threat. When her father died the throne of Egypt was left to her and her brother, Ptolemy XIII, and rivalry formed between the two, making her even more determined to become the sole ruler of Egypt.... [tags: Most Famous Woman Ruler]
1773 words (5.1 pages)
- Why Travis Barker is an Admirable Person One of the people that I admire is Travis Barker. Travis Barker is a drummer in the band blink-182. Although he may be famous, he acts like a normal guy you see every day. Most people think of someone who is famous as being egotistical, stuck up and think they are better than everyone else in the world. Travis basically proves all of those opinions wrong and makes you realize that although some famous people may be that way, not everyone is.... [tags: essays research papers]
579 words (1.7 pages)
Since seventh grade, I have garnered 22 first-place ribbons from track competitions. Coach García has been with me in every single race in which I have competed - not physically, of course. However, I hear his inspiring words each time I am at the starting block and before I cross the finish line. In hindsight, I can see that my seventh grade year was a pivotal point in my life. My involvement in athletics changed and set the tone for the rest of my school years. My successes in athletics raised my self-confidence, and that carried over into the classroom. I stopped worrying about my accent, and started asking questions and commenting in class. My teachers started paying more attention to me, and my grades improved. For these reasons Coach García is one of the people I admire most. I am thankful that he wouldn't let me hide behind my teammates, that he saw something in me that encouragement, practice, and confidence - and teamwork - would bring out.
Now, a senior in high school, I continue to run track, and I have been rewarded for this talent with many awards. Yes, Coach García inspired me to do my best in track, but he also put me on the right track to do well in the rest of my life.