Essay PreviewMore ↓
Jesus intended the disciples to set an example for others. He wanted
them to obey the laws of God, the Ten Commandments, and spread the
word of God. He also expected them to help others along the way and
give what they could to others less fortunate than themselves. The
cost of discipleship is great but if depend on God rather than wealth
and put others first, then in the future you can gain eternal life. A
disciple should not care about social position or always being number
one; a disciple should put his own needs and wishes last. This is more
difficult in today’s society because nowadays there is a lot more
focus on money and materialism. But Jesus did not expect his disciples
to be perfect. Nobody in the world is perfect. Everyone makes
mistakes, even Jesus’ twelve apostles. They made mistakes and failed
sometimes, but they never gave up hope: they always tried their best.
In today’s world, being the type of disciple Jesus intended has many
obstacles. Whether it is ambition, money, popularity, conflict, time,
or a combination of these hurdles, we all have things stopping us from
being the ideal disciple. Everybody needs ambition in order to move up
in the world. But it does not make you less of a Christian if you have
more than someone else. It is the same with all of these hurdles.
However, even with these obstacles, you can still be a good disciple.
As a teenager, I could be more supportive to my peers, help more in my
local community and be a bit more helpful around my house. If you are
rich, you can still be a true disciple by having earned your wealth
honestly and by giving some of it to others. There are many examples
of people in today’s world who show that it is indeed possible to be a
disciple in today’s materialistic world. Mother Theresa, Oscar Romero,
Gandhi; these people dedicated their heroic lives to helping people.
Mother Theresa of Calcutta dedicated her whole life to helping
How to Cite this Page
"Being a Disciple Today." 123HelpMe.com. 27 Jan 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Being a Disciple of Jesus Today Being a disciple requires many things from you, some you may like, some you may hate. Many people around the world find it hard, some different. The first 12 disciples of Jesus had to make sacrifices as soon as Jesus called them. Such as leaving their families, friends and possessions. Imagine someone telling you to follow them leaving everything behind. Now, if that was me I would probably just laugh at them and walk off. But I guess the way society has changed over the many years makes a difference on what sacrifices we would make today.... [tags: Free Essays]
401 words (1.1 pages)
- This is a two sided argument. It can be seen that it is possible but can also be seen as impossible. The first question we must ask is what did Jesus intend. The first disciples were not perfect. For example Peter’s denial “I will never leave you, even though all the rest do”. This doesn’t mean we should give. In fact it means we should try to do better. We cannot give in to the temptations of modern life. I believe we can be a disciple today in the way Jesus intended. Although we live in a different world than the first disciples it is still possible to be a disciple the way Jesus intended.... [tags: Bible Study]
279 words (0.8 pages)
- Being a True Disciple "It is not impossible to be a true disciple if Jesus in the modern world" In our modern day world I don't believe it is impossible to be a disciple but to be a true disciple and follower of Jesus would be hard. There are many distractions for people in today's society, family, career and materialistic goods. Religion is not seen as a priority in modern day life it is seen as unnecessary and unimportant part of life. With the pressures and priorities of modern day life we don't seem to have time to go to mass, stop and think or maybe just reflect on our day to day lives.... [tags: Free Essays]
382 words (1.1 pages)
- The Difficulty of Being a Disciple in the Post Modern World I agree with the statement above because just as it was hard for the rich man to rise to the challenge and give all his riches to the poor it is hard for Christians today to rise to the challenge of building the Kingdom and all that entails. What makes it even harder for people to be a disciple today is all the choices, consumerism, media, and materialism. With all this around it is very hard for anyone to be single minded.... [tags: Papers]
592 words (1.7 pages)
- The Possibility of Being a True Disciple of Jesus in the Modern World I believe that to be a Christian you have to be a disciple. Each must be willing to participate fully in the church to help spread the word of God and to promote Christianity. At Baptism and Confirmation Christians promise to follow the example of Christ in their everyday lives seeking to act correctly and do good. They also publicly declare their faith in God and they repent their sins. Christians disciples in today’s world try to witness their faith to others and follow Jesus along the way of the cross living through today’s persecutions.... [tags: Papers]
346 words (1 pages)
- The View on Being A True Disciple of Jesus in the Modern World It is possible to be a true disciple of Jesus in the modern world today. It is certainly very difficult but by no means is it impossible. Jesus told us that undertaking the gospel was a costly thing. Jesus did not start out by offering his followers a bed of roses. He made it absolutely clear from the beginning what was involved. To be a disciple of Jesus they need to deny themselves, and take up their cross and follow him.... [tags: Papers]
459 words (1.3 pages)
- How Living as a Christian Disciple May Influence the Lives of Christians Today Christianity is an entire way of life. It's not only a part of your life it is your whole life. It is a sense of being with God. It is not a one way system, but in fact a two way bond. Being a disciple of God gives you a sense of who you are. You have the position of being part of God's children as well as being a child of your parents. This is an incomparable feeling. A Christian is a person who lives their life daily for God.... [tags: Papers]
1895 words (5.4 pages)
- The gang's genesis dates to 1960, with a South Side gang called the Devil's Disciples had become sufficiently large to warrant being given an outreach worker by the Welfare Council of Metropolitan Chicago Youth Services (source: Chicago Historical Society). The Devil's Disciples were mostly male African-Americans, 15-18 years of age, frequenting the intersection of 53rd St. and Kimbark Ave., and operated from 53rd and Woodlawn to 49th St. and Dorchester Ave. In the early 1960s this gang known as the Devils Disciples became the "Black Disciples" (see Explosion of Chicago's Black Street Gangs: 1900 to Present, 1990, by Useni Perkins).... [tags: Gang Gangs]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- True Disciple of Jesus in the Modern World QUESTION: “It is not possible to be a true disciple of Jesus in the modern world” , do you agree, give reasons for your answer, showing you have considered more than one point of view, refer to Christianity in your answer. ANSWER: No I do not agree with the statement “ It is not possible to be a true disciple of Jesus in the modern world” Discipleship means denying yourself, carrying your cross and following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ.... [tags: Papers]
686 words (2 pages)
- A True Disciple of Jesus in the Modern world depends on how you define a "true disciple". If it means following all Jesus' instructions to the Twelve exactly, then it is plainly impractical for a modern Christian to be a true disciple. For example, Jesus told his disciples in Mk. Ch.16 v.15 to "Go out to the whole world; proclaim the Gospel to all creation." Clearly, not every Christian can be a missionary, preaching the Good news to everybody. Some people are not good speakers, or may be unable to go around and tell everybody about Jesus.... [tags: Free Essays]
420 words (1.2 pages)
- The Work of Discipleship
- Discipleship and Christianity
- The Role of Recruitment in Success of Organizations
- The Change of Macbeth and Lady Macbeth in William Shakespeare's Play
- Interrogation of the Birling Family in Priestley's An Inspector Calls
- The Character Of Romeo Montague in William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
She saw it as “cleaning, feeding and loving Jesus in disguise.” But
there are normal people who walk the streets everyday who are
disciples. People who are providing food for their families or helping
out in a homeless shelter; these people are disciples because they are
helping others with selfless acts.
People nowadays believe in order to be a good disciple, you have to
give all you have to charity and dedicate your life to helping others.
You do not have to do that. You must just give what you can and help,
if you can, in your community.
I disagree. Christians today just need to be mentally stronger. I
think you can be a disciple in the modern world as Jesus intended, you
just need willpower and some hope.