Essay PreviewMore ↓
– Swami Vivekananda --
What is success? How can I come successful? There's a library's worth of self-help books on how to become successful. Yet, at the end of the day, each of us decides our own personal definition of success. How will we balance security and adventure, challenge and safety, mastery versus risk-taking?.
Learning expert Dawna Markova's words are simple yet profound: "Each of us is here to give something that only we can offer, and when we avoid knowing ourselves, we end up living numb, passionless lives, disconnected from our soul's true purpose."
How do we figure out that true purpose? Sometimes, it comes to us when we quiet the busyness in our hectic lives, when we look inward. For young adults, it often requires moving through the world, engaging in many new and different experiences to find what calls us, what excites us.
While you are figuring out how you want to define success, it's useful to build leadership capacities, because the more capacity you own, the more options you will have over time.
Knowing yourself well is one capacity. Speaking effectively is another. So are writing persuasively, speaking a second language, and learning how to read a financial statement. The capacity that seems to be the best predictor of long-term success in the work world is learning agility-the ability to keep acquiring new knowledge, building ever more capacity.
We know that adventures, such as traveling to new places and undertaking new projects, build capacity. Real-life work experiences-managing deadlines, receiving/giving feedback, identifying problems, and developing creative solutions-all build capacity and skills. This proves especially true when the work is new and different. Working in teams, interacting with
How to Cite this Page
"The Definition of Success." 123HelpMe.com. 31 Mar 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As I continue to grow and mature into a young adult, I have begun to realize that the word “Success” can have many different meanings. Depending on the person you’re discussing it with, they may see it differently than you do. The media and society have convinced us into accepting a misleading meaning of how success should be defined. Many people who are rich and seen as successful are often very stressed out and struggling with everyday life. Although, this is something that society often decides to look past because the rich are perceived to be very content and joyful with the way they are living their lives, almost as if they have nothing to worry about because of their success.... [tags: Definition, Meaning of life, Personal life]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Success can be distinguished in various ways based on an individual’s interpretation and experience. As Winston Churchill famously stated, "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." The interpretation of success is not entirely achieving or overcoming a great feat, but it is also about the adjustments that you experience in order to reach such a stage. To obtain success, you must first understand what is crucial and significant in your life, and to seek for stability and new experiences while within the pursuit of personal growth.... [tags: Success, Mind, Spinal cord injury, Failure]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- If you had to Google the definition of success you would be find that success is ‘the accomplishment of aim or purpose, the attainment of popularity or profit, (or) a person that achieves desired aims or attains prosperity”. To every individual success has a different meaning, however each interpretation usually has three common traits: wealth, importance and contentment. By obtaining these three things the belief that we are distinguished and have gained unlimited opportunities is formed, however in pursuit of this we often lose sight of our morals.... [tags: Success, Sacrifice, The Work, Opportunity rover]
1054 words (3 pages)
- Success is a term that’s definition varies greatly from person to person. The best way to put it, is that success is happiness and achieving the goals you set for yourself. Society chooses to view success as how much money one possesses, if one is married with kids, and how one chooses to live their life. In all reality, success is completely in your mind. Only you can decide if you are successful in life or not. Nothing anyone says can change whether you are a success or not. Just because my standard of success is riches and glory means absolutely nothing.... [tags: Meaning of life, Failure, Bill Gates, Success]
1092 words (3.1 pages)
- There has always been the age old question, “What does true success mean to you?” For many centuries, everybody has given their own definition of success. Whether it is money, happiness, love, or power, everybody has their own definition of success. Stephen Covey, a popular author, once said, “If you carefully consider what you want to be said of you in the funeral experience, you will find your definition of success.” I believe that everybody has to realize what real success means to you. Everybody has aspirations for their life, and coming to terms with those aspirations can set one up for successful life.... [tags: Meaning of life, Happiness, Definition]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- Over thousands of years people have been driven by success, but what is success. Success to me is the ability to perform at your highest level in the path in life that you take. I believe that if you are not driven to be the very best at the things you do then it is not a calling. There are plenty of opportunities in life and you should take everyone you get. Success is a word that is on a broad spectrum, there is no single definition to the word. I define what success is for me. There is no set image of success, success is also constantly changing.... [tags: Meaning of life, Shall and will, Success]
1228 words (3.5 pages)
- The true definition of success is the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. Although, many people have different perceptions of success. Success is judged by the individuals themselves. Success can be defined in many ways including: wealth, happiness, fame, etc. Success can be anything from material goods to concepts. It all depends on your concept and how you achieve your goals. You have to have persistence within yourself. Varying on your profession, you will need a certain skill level. Your definition of success can be suitable best for you, but not for others.... [tags: If You Have to Ask, Failure, Want, Need, Success]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- The Definition of Success 'One has achieved success who has lived well and laughed often.'; This quote seems to sum up what is meant by success. If you are able to laugh often and much then you have definitely achieved happiness. The idea of living well, though, is a very broad statement. In order, then, to define success in relation to this statement, we must first define what it means to live well. There are three levels of success, in my opinion: societal success, personal success, and academic or professional success.... [tags: Definition Essays]
926 words (2.6 pages)
- What does Success mean.Well there is a lot of meanings and definitions for success,I think the Definition of Success is accomplishing a goal and to never give up and keep on trying.Self esteem is not necessary to be successful.Having initiative and motivation is more important than having self esteem.Having initiative and motivation is the two most important trait than having self esteem because self esteem will bring you down when you find out about the truth and with initiative and motivation it can help you throughout your life.... [tags: Self-esteem, Debut albums, Positive psychology]
814 words (2.3 pages)
- "Success entails having a positive outlook and good work ethic to help you pursue your dreams and goals throughout your entire life. Success is achieving intellectual growth for your own personal enrichment. Success is making the best of the opportunities that are presented to us in order to do good things for ourselves and for those around us." – Aarron Hedlock – What is success and how can you achieve it. I’d like to to propose a new definition of success that isn’t about landing a job; it’s about believing that the job you will do is the job you should be doing.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
450 words (1.3 pages)
Powerful learning opportunities that promote lifetime skills and lessons are found in everyday experiences. Organizing a college event, building a school in Haiti, building a home with Habitat For Humanity, or directing a dance performance are the kinds of experiences that help us grow our capacities.