Essay PreviewMore ↓
A vast majority of our population find operating a manual transmission, or stick shift, to be extremely difficult. However, in actuality all it takes is some serious practice and devotion to make driving a stick shift like second nature. For successful driving, the same steps must be followed each time the car is driven.
The stick shift panel is typically located between the two front seats of the vehicle. The stick shift can be moved left to right and up and down for changing gears. The clutch pedal is usually found to the right of the brake pedal.
Specifically, on a standard five speed, the gears are as follows: Neutral is located in the middle of the panel. From neutral, gears must be changed accordingly. First gear is found to the far upper left, and is used to get the car moving from a stopped position. Down left is second gear, used for speeds up to twenty-five miles per hour. Third gear is located upper middle of the panel, used for speeds from about twenty-five to forty miles per hour. Fourth gear is found at the lower middle and would be good for between forty and fifty miles per hour. Fifth gear is found to the far upper right, and is used for higher driving speeds such as on the freeway. Last but not least is reverse, which is to the far bottom right, used for backing up. These gears must be maneuvered the exact same way each time the automobile is driven.
Undoubtedly, figuring out the timing of letting out the clutch and giving the car more gas can be the trickiest part of driving a stick shift. The clutch is found to the far right of the brake. When changing gears, the clutch must always be pushed to the floor with the left foot or immediately the car's gears will grind. The clutch must be slowly let out as more gas is given to the car. The timing of this process must be perfect to ensure a that the car will begin to slowly move forward. As for stopping, such as at a red light or a stop sign, begin by moving the gear shift to the neutral position.
How to Cite this Page
"Free Process Essays - How to Operate a Manual Transmission." 123HelpMe.com. 24 Mar 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... And all members’ appointment is decided by the Chief Executive. c. Method for selecting Legislative Council members The only way for ordinary citizens to express their preference is through the Legislative Council Election. There are 70 Legislative Council members with 35 members returned by geographical constituencies through direct election, and 35 members by functional constituencies. Regarding functional constituency, it represents some professionals or special interest and only eligible voters have the right to vote in the functional constituency election.... [tags: take home exam]
2851 words (8.1 pages)
- In the present time most of the drivers encountered on the open road are driving automatic transmission. Many, if not most, go through their life without knowing how to drive manual transmission. The main reason being because of the necessity of using both feet and having to drive one handed. Learning how to drive both is a skill that will open a new world of opportunities. One never knows if there will ever be a situation that will require a person to know how to drive manual, also known as “stick shift”.... [tags: Manual transmission, Automatic transmission]
1219 words (3.5 pages)
- Equipped with n antennas & the remote unit is equipped with m receive antennas (see Figure (1)). At each time slot t, signals C_t^i t=1,2,……n are transmitted simultaneously from the n transmit antennas. The channel is at-fading & the path gain from transmit antenna i to receive antenna j is denoted by h_(i,j) . The path gains are modeled as samples of independent complex Gaussian random variables with variance 0:5 per real dimension, i.e.,h_(i,j)~N(0,1) as we assume that signals received at di_erent antennas experience independent fading.... [tags: antena, transmission, generator matrix]
524 words (1.5 pages)
- The sibling rivalry between automatic and manual transmissions When buying a new car you always hear the option of do you want a manual or automatic transmission, most people will always chose automatic, for the simple fact that it is easier and safer to drive. Ever since the automatic transmission was made, the market for manual transmissions has gone down dramatically in passenger cars and light vehicles. Most would agree that the sibling rivalry between automatic and manual transmissions has raged in the U.S.... [tags: Manual transmission, Automatic transmission]
894 words (2.6 pages)
- The word “soliton” is meant to describe the particle like behavior of the optical pulses propagating through a medium . The pulses envelope for soliton not only propagates undistorted but also survives collisions just as particles do. The soliton are very narrow, high intensity optical pulses that retain their shape through the interaction of balancing pulse dispersion with the nonlinear properties of an optical filter. If the relative effect of SPM and GVD are controlled just right, and appropriate pulse shape is chosen, the pulse compression resulting from SPM can exactly offset the pulse broadening effect of GVD.... [tags: solition pulse, optical power, electrical spectrum]
2430 words (6.9 pages)
- How to Procrastinate Have you ever heard friends or family members brag about how productive they were that day, or week, or month. Those people really bother me. And it's because I can never get anything done; it takes me a long time to accomplish the simplest tasks. I pride myself in being a grade A procrastinator. My three specific examples will help anyone perfect the arts of wasting time and procrastination. Then you can brag about how extremely unproductive you were today. I am not a super messy person, but I don't necessarily keep my room clean all the time, either.... [tags: Free Expository Process Essays]
473 words (1.4 pages)
- Preparing a Smashing Pumpkin Pudding It's that time of year again, pumpkin season. Two wonderful family holidays are just around the corner. Traditionally, we spend Thanksgiving or Christmas (or both) with the family to have a nice holiday dinner. There is always delicious food prepared for dinner, but what's dinner without dessert. The most traditional holiday dessert is pumpkin pie, but how about "spicing" that dessert up a little this year. Well, here's the way to do it, a delicious holiday dessert that the whole family will love and it's quick and easy.... [tags: Free Expository Process Essays]
659 words (1.9 pages)
- Transmission of Schistosomiasis - mediated by chemical communication Living organisms use a variety of cues to find their prey, to mate, to move and to hide from their predator. These cues can be visual, auditory or olfactory. Olfactory cues often require a release of chemical from a source towards which an organism could be attracted to or be repelled from. From single celled bacteria to large chordates like sharks use chemical communication for different purposes. However, the most prevalent role of chemical communication is disease transmission.... [tags: Living Organisms, Prey and Predator]
1786 words (5.1 pages)
- Describe the process by which genes and environment operate together to influence development. Discuss the significance of these processes for our understanding of child development. This essay will give a detailed account of the process by which genes and the environment operate together to influence development. Looking at Physical development and Language development and the perspectives of Natavism, Behaviourism. Constructivism and Social Constructivism it will explain the role of these perspectives in understanding child development.... [tags: essays research papers]
2109 words (6 pages)
- Your car will rely on many things especially fluids to keep all the mechanical parts well lubricated and working without using much heat on high-friction functions. Transmission fluid is one of the most important fluids in the car. Significance The transmission system uses clutch, actuating shafts and all the gear connections. Each engine gear will have a limit, which is defined by the red line that is always defined by the revolutions per minute. When the gear of your vehicle reaches the limit, it has to stop spinning and let another gear power the vehicle.... [tags: Automobiles]
1058 words (3 pages)
In addition, another tool to use to know when to change gears is the car's revolutions per minute (r.m.p.) This r.p.m. gauge is typically found next to the odometer. When the gauge reads about three it is time to change gears. Furthermore, a slight humming will begin to sound from the engine. This also is an indicator that it is time to change to a higher gear. If the gear is not changed the car's engine could become damaged or overheat. These steps are crucial to the success of driving a stick shift.
As a result, remember, every stick shift is a little bit different. Driving a manual transmission can be exceedingly difficult and frustrating, yet can be extremely enjoyable. Just be sure to follow the same exact steps each time, and don't give up. Patience and practice are the main keys in the mastery of the stick shift.