Essay PreviewMore ↓
A woman works twelve hours a day and her husband is always away on business trips, so she feels the child she is now pregnant with would be neglected and not loved as much as it should be. She and her husband decide to have an abortion, because in the back of their minds killing is better than neglecting or the option of adoption. The woman goes to see a doctor because she still feels the family the child will be brought up into will not completely satisfy its needs. The doctor tells her she is too far long in her pregnancy and chemicals will not work, so a partial birth abortion will have to be performed. After talking the situation over with her husband they decide to go ahead with the abortion, and a week later she returns to the ?doctors? office to have the abortion preformed. The doctor begins by inducing labor and giving the patient sedatives and pain- killers. After part of the living child is out the process is stopped and the doctor purposely and intentionally kills the living being. After the child is dead the mother continues to give birth until the innocent and dead child is ?born.?
Luckily partial-birth abortion, as depicted above, is banned, but all other abortions still being performed are also wrong and inhumane. Supporters of abortion claim, ?life does not begin at conception, it begins at birth.? ?A fetus does not have any feeling or rights? is the claim made to support the immoral outcome of ?a woman?s choice.?
1. A fetus has no feeling. This statement is partially true, but a fetus is only numb for the first seven weeks after conception. By eight weeks a fetus has nerve cells throughout its entire body and has an abundance of brain activity. Dr. Bernard Nathanson, who has performed more than 60,000 abortions in his lifetime, is now taking on the role of a pro-life activist. Why? Mainly due to his viewing of an ultrasound of a fetus during an abortion. After viewing the video Dr. Nathanson decided to produce a now highly controversial film called The Silent Scream. The movie, which was viewed by tens of thousands of people, presented the same movie of a ?live action ultrasound of an ongoing abortion.
How to Cite this Page
"A Look at Abortion." 123HelpMe.com. 13 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Is abortion the answer to getting rid of a child you cannot take care of no matter the reason. Abortion is defined as a surgical method used to terminate a pregnancy especially during the first six months. In my opinion, abortion is not the way to go. There are other options rather than killing a human being who has not even lived for days, or even months. Pro- life most literally means "for life", which is not the way many people see things nowadays. Normally, people choose to be pro- choice which means, "one has a choice whether or not to get an abortion because it is their life".... [tags: pro-life, pro-choice, suicidal behavior]
1127 words (3.2 pages)
- A Rational Look at the Abortion Controversy One of the most hotly contested issues inside and outside of biomedical ethics today is abortion. The discussion received a new impetus at the release of the controversial abortion drug RU-486, "a pill to increase access to abortions and let women get them privately from their own doctor instead of facing shouting protesters at clinics."2 As is the case with all controversial issues, there are very passionate people on both sides of the fence. Unfortunately, a heated discussion on abortion can easily and quickly turn into a battle of rhetoric rather than a dialectic of reason.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
3882 words (11.1 pages)
- ... Sheils & Gajowy have concluded that most women appear to be extremely affected by the loss of pregnancy in particular abortion. These illness included have sense of guilt, morbid thoughts and suicidal ideation (Sheils & Gajowy 2006). Consequently, feeling of guilt of rejection, low self-esteem, and depression are all elements for suicide. According to one study, women who have had abortions are nine times more likely to attempt suicide than women in the general population (Ann Saltenberger, 2005).... [tags: emotional and psychological consequences]
842 words (2.4 pages)
- Rae goes on to say in the same page that the baby is it’s own person it has its own DNA and early on it has the organs to support it self. With this information Rae is saying that the baby, while inside the mother it has its own identity so the mother does not have the authority or right to make such a decision. The second argument is that “Forcing women, especially poor ones, to continue their pregnancies will create overwhelming financial hardship”(p. 134). This argument is that forcing women to have their children will create overwhelming financial hardship.... [tags: Ethics, Morality, Abortion, Human rights]
1360 words (3.9 pages)
- Abortion One of the most controversial topics in America with definite opposing sides is abortion. The definition of abortion by the Oxford Dictionaries is: the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first twenty-eight weeks of pregnancy. The main argument, when if comes to abortion is the issue of life and death. Pro-choice defenders say that a woman has a right to do whatever they want with their bodies. Pro-life believers say that when a woman chooses abortion, they are murdering an innocent being.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus, Roe v. Wade]
1406 words (4 pages)
- Having a child is often looked at as a wonderful experience containing endless rewards, but not everyone believes this. More females are getting this procedure done called an abortion now more than ever. This is where the pregnancy can/will be ended. Many women that look into abortion are not ready to support and raise a baby and see this as a way out, though someone can have empathy when a woman becomes unexpectedly pregnant, and having an abortion performed is not the right answer. Abortion became legal because of Supreme Court cases of Doe vs.... [tags: Pregnancy, Abortion, Childbirth, Birth control]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- Have you ever longed for a family. A child to look after in your life. The very child that you will watch it grow up while guiding its way, and be a part of its legacy. Who will take care of you when your hair faded and your body was no longer good. It is the child you had given the chance to be born in this world. It is the soul you have spared many years ago while the temptation to abort it clouded your mind, and in the end, it is still a part of you. Abortion is wrong and should not be allowed to happen anywhere except under very strict, and rare cases.... [tags: Abortion, Pregnancy, Fetus, Abortion debate]
1106 words (3.2 pages)
- Throughout history there have been major decisions that have to be made. Those decisions define the society that makes them. Today in Americans history we have two or three decisions that could change how people look back at us. Abortion is one of the major topics talked about by everyone; from politicians to teenagers, everyone has their own opinions, but not many people can back up there argument with facts or statistics. They can’t say for example what the cost of living in a major city is for a single parent with two kids is.... [tags: Abortion Essay]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Should abortion be allowed in the United States. If so, then under what circumstances. Abortion has been one of the most heatedly debated topics in the U.S. for more than a century. This paper explores the history and international use of abortion, as well as the empirical and moral claims made by both sides of the issue. We will also examine the key positions taken on abortion and look at those affected by it. Based on extensive research and analysis, this paper will recommend that the government increase abortion funding and availability.... [tags: Increase Abortion Availability]
4126 words (11.8 pages)
- Abortion Abortion is one of the most controversial topics of all times. It has caused countless deaths and several violent confrontations between the two separate parties of opinion. The fight between pro-life and pro-choice supporters has been long and brutal. This is because, despite what several people may believe, abortion is neither right nor wrong. It is the matter of a personal opinion, where, each side can say with certainty that the other one is wrong. The question remains, should abortion be legal.... [tags: Abortion Pro Choice Argumentative]
1897 words (5.4 pages)
You can see from the moment the tip of the suction machine starts to move, the fetus knows it and starts to scuttle to the top of the uterus? you can see the heart speeding up, you can see the limbs moving faster, you can see the child moving more rapidly. Even the breathing increases. So there is no question this child feels pain, and actually senses danger.
The fetus can feel and sense pain, but of course after the suction machine tears off the unborn child?s head and crushes it, along with the dismemberment of the rest of the body life can no longer exist.
2. Life does not begin at conception. What is life? Life is existence and exercising functional powers. A fetus exists. A cell exists. Both perform functional powers, and after conception the lone cell begins to split within minutes. Striving to live, the cells continue to split and double until a child is developed and even after that, new cells are created until death.
An acorn (egg) is nothing when it is by itself, but when it is placed in a safe environment like a pot (womb), surrounded by dirt (fluids) and sprinkled with water (sperm) life can then begin. After the water makes its way into the seed roots start to form, and at that very moment we can say, ?It is growing. It is living.? This should also be true for a fetus. Once the cells begin to divide the cells should be considered a fetus or rather, be called a living human being. The combination of our father?s and mother?s genes at conception give us the traits we will possess in the future ? we become individual bodies with souls.
3. It is a woman?s choice. It has already been discussed that a fetus is a living child, and children have the same basic rights as adults, do they not? Of course everyone has the right over his or her own body. When a woman wants an abortion it is usually done for convenience, not to benefit the child. Killing the unborn baby will not help it in any possible way. Something is seriously wrong with our society today. Almost everyone would see it as wrong to torture a seven year-old child and then brutally kill him or her, but a number of people including our government allow and even promote the torture and killing of an innocent unborn baby. How can some people think abortion is respectable?
Secondly, why is it just ?the woman?s choice,? should the father not have some say in the process? She, the mother, certainly does have the right to control her own body, but the fetus is not her body, it is the body of the living soul inside her. Half of the living soul belongs to the father, and if he decides he wants to raise the child, courts should take that into consideration.
4. Abortion is a moral and Constitutional right. But killing is not! What is the legal definition of murder? First, the action has to be premeditated. The abortion procedure is usually planned out. The patient, doctor(s), and nurses know exactly what is going to happen and when it is going to happen. I would consider the process to be well planned. Secondly, the action has to be deliberate. When a woman goes to an abortion clinic, she does not intend on saving the baby?s life. The doctor knowingly, willingly and immorally ends the life of the child. Lastly, the action has to be done with malice. Killing the life of a living being is about as evil and immoral as any other action. A doctor who aborts a child is clearly and unmistakably committing first-degree intentional homicide and should be given a severe punishment.
According to the National Catholic Reporter, ?[At least] one and a half million abortions take place each year around the world.? Four thousand innocent murders each day is excessive. When someone is murdered it hits the media immediately, but when a baby is aborted nobody in the media world seems to care.
The living being inside the womb does have feelings and has proven it can sense the presence of danger. Life does begin at conception. The minute the cell begins to divide proves that the being is striving to come into existence, and is doing whatever it takes to make up a new human being. A woman should not have the choice of what happens to beings inside her. Nobody knows if that child would want to die, nor are the father?s feelings taken into consideration when it comes to a woman wanting an abortion. The law agrees that killing innocent people who have done nothing to harm anyone is wrong, but abortion is still legal and some politicians promote women getting abortions if they feel they cannot raise a child. Politicians and citizens of the world need to realize the effects of abortion and what it does to the living child. Abortion is immoral and wrong and should be stopped.