Essay PreviewMore ↓
When one thinks of computer programming, one might think of complicated problems and challenges. People may think that computer programming is hard, well it’s really rather easy if you have the right training and education. Someone may think that it requires a lot of work and years in college, when it really does not require much. There are many job opportunities opening every day for computer programmers. Computer
programmers have several job opportunities these days. A career as a computer
programmer would be very interesting and rewarding.
Definition Of Occupation
Computer programmers write software for computers. The software for
computers are the detailed instructions computers follow while they run. Work of
a computer programmer involves updating, repairing, and modifying codes for
programs that have already been written. Computer programmers follow guidelines
prepared by systems analysts.
Programmers code instructions using programming languages such as “C” and
“FORTAN”. Programmers usually specialize in one or two languages. Programmers
keep records of their programming so that others can work on the software. Most
programmers test their work by running the program to see if it works correctly.
Programmers usually do one of two broad types of programming: applications or system.
System programmers maintain the software that controls the operation of an entire
computer system. Applications programmers write software that handle specific jobs
To be a computer programmer one must have many characteristics. One must
have the desire to be a leader and influence others. The person must have a good ability
to work with numbers. Must have the ability to follow set procedures and make few
errors. Ability to solve problems and make decisions. Also, one must have a good ability
to look at written information, such as computer code, and find errors. The soon to be
programmer must have a good ability to understand or use words when talking or writing.
A computer programmer having all these characteristics will do great in the programming
There are really very little requirements for the career of computer programming.
Most computer programming jobs do not require a certificate or license, but it does vary
from job to job ( Cosgrove). Computer programmers must usually complete either a
bachelors degree in computer science or in another course with a significant programming
How to Cite this Page
"Computer Programming is a Career Worth Pursuing." 123HelpMe.com. 05 Apr 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The commonest question that senior students like me get asked these days is likely to be “What is your career goal?” I’m not embarrassed to tell that I wish to be remembered in history books as a prominent computer scientist like Richard Hamming. This is my life goal and it definitely requires outstanding researches. In addition, I have a natural thirst for new techniques and enjoy the excitement brought by technology advancement. However, neither my necessity of research skill nor my insatiable appetite for knowledge is satisfied by undergraduate education.... [tags: Statement of Purpose]
521 words (1.5 pages)
- Programming. Job to code. You always a get weird exhilaration watching your code own code run successfully. Logging into Facebook or Google every day and coming up with some new feature and you sense the line of codes written for the feature to work. You feel here is the innovation, evolution not only technically but creativity and logic. It is this feeling, which drives me to not give up, challenging the toughest problems. And it is this love for programming, combined with my desire to dig deeper into the working of various applications and technologies, which propels me to apply for Masters.... [tags: Computer, Computer software, Software engineering]
761 words (2.2 pages)
- Statement of Purpose In the pristine place of Goa where parties and fun is at its peak, I was present there for the coding competition of Google. Though standing runner-up I learnt the vital phase of fun with work, in this Endeavour. This competition paved the way for me to pursue Master in Computer Science, which would help me to be a Google employee. Being in the kernel of technological and computing revolution, the field of Artificial Intelligence tends to change the human-computer interaction.... [tags: Computer science, Computer]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- Since the invention of computers in the second half of twentieth century, there has been a great revolution in the job market. The world has witnessed emergence of new careers while others have actually changed. Computer world has ushered in a new economy which has created numerous careers. One of the carriers which have interested me is computer engineering. This is my dream career which I want to pursue in my academic studies. Computer Engineering Career The field of computer engineering has been growing at a rapid rate owing to the growing invention of new computer related technologies and the internet.... [tags: career, computers, IT, ]
546 words (1.6 pages)
- Abstract This proposal will provide the information that a high school student will need to make a decision on a career choice in the field of web administration. The results of the research conducted, will provide an insight into how students can turn their passion for computers into a life long career. The profession is full of opportunities and earning potential. Students can begin to prepare themselves in their early stages of their education in order to reach their desired goals. I have a basic reason for submitting this proposal.... [tags: Career Guidance Website Administration]
1461 words (4.2 pages)
- Google Essay Application Ekua Awotwi 200 words or less 1. What sparked your interest in computer science. How have you pursued this interest so far. What do you hope to accomplish with your computer science degree. I recall the feeling of power and freedom to create that I experienced from designing a brick breaker program in my first CS class at Stanford. This feeling struck a chord in me that went back to the childhood excitement I had when I was given my first video editing software. I would spend hours filming and editing short movies, making sure to cut the scenes and music precisely or finding the angles to accurately communicate the mood.... [tags: Computer science, Electrical engineering]
717 words (2 pages)
- Computer science is a field of study that while widely used, is not well understood without some education. Parents desire the best education possible for their child, including getting the most out of their education by encouraging pursuit in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). For the past several years across the United States there has been a new discussion in what classes should and should not be required. Some say that requiring such classes will be too much of a burden or an unrealistic ideal, while others say that requiring them will have a number of long-lasting and wide-reaching benefits.... [tags: Education, Secondary education, Computer science]
1382 words (3.9 pages)
- Abstract The computer programming industry has many great aspects with opportunities of growth. A strong future is apparent for programmers and employers will continue to need the technical skills of programmers that know the business requirements. Business requirements will always continue to evolve more and more as time moves forward. This occupation will keep interests growing from the ever changing program languages and different techniques used in the industry. I am proposing the idea of becoming a computer programmer.... [tags: Career Computer Science Job]
1608 words (4.6 pages)
- As students enter their second year of college that’s when they should plan on applying for internships, co-ops and the most important- building their resume. A resume is the most vital factor that will help a student obtain an internship, co-op or a job. Resumes outline the most important key factors about a person, when a company looks at resume they look for things that make an individual stand out. My resume currently needs a whole a lot of improvement if I would like to obtain an internship or a co-op.... [tags: Programming language, Computer programming]
1508 words (4.3 pages)
- Should programming be taught in K12 schools. Computer programing should be taught in K-12 schools because it’s an essential part of the 21st century learning. In particular, I was never taught programing, so when I took this course it broadened my understanding. I know that Computer Science is a fundamental subject that should be taught. This education will benefit all students, not just those interested in pursuing this type of career. Computer science is a growing industry, and it develops students problem solving skills and their creativity.... [tags: Education, Problem solving, Critical thinking]
830 words (2.4 pages)
component (Computer Programmers, February 1999). All in all, the basic job for a
computer programmer requires very little.
Training On The Job
As a computer programmer you also get training on the job even after you get out
of college. Many skills are gained on the job because you work everyday with new and
improved things. Programmers also attend a wide range of courses to update their
knowledge and their techniques. Even after you get out of college you learn more things
every day in the computer programming business ( Programmer ).
The pay for computer programmers varies by experience and education of the
worker. Systems programmers tend to earn more than applications programmers. The
average wage for a computer programmer is $28.83 per hour. Half of all programmers
earn between $18.51 and $35.23 an hour. The average salary for computer programmer
aides is $15.30 an hour. All in all computer programmers don’t make that bad of money
In the future as the demand for computer programmers goes up so will the wages
for computer programmers. Nationally, employment of computer programmers is
expected to grow faster than average through 2006 ( The Complete Guide For
Occupational Exploration ). The fastest growing area of the computer industry is
expected to be computer and data processing services such as computer programming.
There are really few factors that will limit the growth in demand for programmers.
Competition for programming jobs will also come from other countries. People who only
have a few years of experience or education will face strong competition for programming
Right now computer programmers hold about 647,780 jobs nationally. In Ohio
there are about 19,020 computer programmers that work in the state. Systems
programmers are more limited than applications programmers in where they work.
Systems programmers are mainly found in large computer centers or software
development firms. Computer programming jobs are available in all areas of the country.
Programmers work in nearly all industries. All in all computer programmers do not really
hold many jobs in the U.S. (OCIS).
There are many advantages for computer programmers starting out. The money
that programmers get starting out is rather good. Computer programmers coming
right out of high school can earn as much as some programmers that have experience
depending on the company and job situation. For must programmers starting out though
the salaries are lower in smaller companies. Also the entry-level wages are the lowest in
government jobs (OCIS). Another advantage to computer programmers is working in
offices in comfortable surroundings (Computer Programmers April 1999).
There are also disadvantages though with computer programming. Some
programmers starting out don’t make as much as others (OCIS). Programmers may have
to work overtime to finish writing software for the computers. In programming jobs,
some may work long hours and even on weekends to meet or fix critical errors that occur
during off hours. The main disadvantage of computer programming is that it is very time
consuming and can be a real pain (Computer Programmers April 1999).
Day To Day Activities
As a computer programmer you don’t do a wide variety of things everyday, mainly
you do the same things over and over again. Almost everyday you will be on a
computer. There will be some days that you won’t be on the computer though. You will
write lots and lots of software. One thing that will change from day to day is the software
that you will write for computers. Altogether computer programmers don’t really do a
lot of different things everyday (OCIS).
A career as a computer programmer would be very interesting and rewarding.
Computer programmers do a lot of things for us that we don’t even really notice. They
are very important to people that use computers. Without computer programmers there
would be no software that could be used on computers. There would also not be any
operating systems for software to run in. So without computer programmers there would
not be any software or operating systems and without those there would be no such things
“Computer Programmers” April 19, 2000. On-line. Internet. December 6, 2000.
Available www: http.//stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos110.htm
“Computer Programmers.” Febuary 1999. On-line. Internet. December 6, 2000.
Available www: http://www.schoolfinder.com/career/2163cpp/2163cpp.htm
Cosgrove, Hollie, ed. Exploring Tech Careers 165-172. Vol. 1. Chicago: J.G. Furguson
Publishing, 1995. 2 Vols.
Ohio Career Information System. Computer Software. Ohio Dept Of Education, 2000
IBM. PC/Win 3.0
“Programmer.” October 18, 2000. On-line. Internet. December 6, 2000.
Available www: http://www.careers.co.nz
“The Complete Guide for Occupational Exploration.” Pg.430. Indianapolis: Jist