Essay PreviewMore ↓
Studies have shown that at least 50% of the people who
start a fitness program do not make it through the first
three months, many will discontinue the program before the
end of twelve months. A large number of people never
exercise or have ever joined an exercise program, despite
the fact that regular exercise and physical activity is
necessary for health--both physical and emotional.
What makes people stay with an exercise program?
In order to better understand what motivates individuals to
maintain an exercise regimen, a study was conducted by this
author and the graduate students of the Sport Psychology
program at The University for Humanistic Studies in Solana
Beach, California. The results indicated that psychological
variables appearing to be relevant for someone to stay with
an exercise program were:
* 1. The ability to take responsibility for what happens
in his or her life
* 2. A belief that sport and exercise is essential
* 3. The individual's perception of his/her athletic
* 4. The need to exercise as a form of relaxation
* 5. The person's commitment to a healthy lifestyle
Every single respondent of the questionnaire answered that
they felt personally responsible for their health, body and
physical fitness and the majority cited themselves as their
How to Cite this Page
"How to Stay With An Exercise Program." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Jul 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Six Week Personal Exercise Program My weakest sport is Football. My weakest areas are strength, fitness and speed. The skill related fitness required in Football is Agility, Power, Co-ordination, Balance, Speed, Cardiovascular fitness and Muscular endurance. Agility is needed to dribble past an opponent; Power is needed to withstand pressure from an opponent and to shoot with strength; Co-ordination is needed to be able to have the ball under your control; Balance is needed to be able to stay on your feet even when tackled; Speed is needed to move fast into spaces and towards the ball; Cardiovascular fitness is needed to play a whole match without being too tir... [tags: Physical Exercise Fitness Health]
2636 words (7.5 pages)
- Firstly, take carbohydrates immediately after workout. This is to replenish glycogen store. The faster we intake complex carbohydrates after practice, the faster our body can recover and prepare itself for the next workout. For an example of carbohydrate are oatmeal, rice cake, prunes, and wheat. “Early intake of carbohydrate after strenuous exercise is essential because it provides an immediate source of substrate to the muscle, while also taking advantage of the increased insulin sensitivity and membrane permeability of the muscle to glucose”.... [tags: healthy life choices]
775 words (2.2 pages)
- Looking and feeling good have both been high on the list of things to do among modern new moms, particularly those who reside in upwardly mobile countries, such as Singapore. As one of the countries in Asia that has enjoyed fast and stable socio-economic growth over the years, the health system of Singapore is enviable. Postnatal care for both mother and child are excellent. However, for many mothers, there are cases when it takes more than just following postnatal medical advice in order to experience post pregnancy weight loss.... [tags: modern new moms]
639 words (1.8 pages)
- Aerobic Exercise Paper Aerobics is defined as a system of endurance exercises that promote cardiovascular fitness by producing and sustaining an elevated heart rate for a prolonged period of time, thereby pumping an increased amount of oxygen-rich blood to the muscles being used. In the world today a large number of U.S. citizens are over weight, you see them every where from school, to work, you see over weight people. In our fast pace world right now many people don’t have time to work out and if they do then they don’t fell like exercising.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
607 words (1.7 pages)
- Exercising is too over rated. It’s not as healthy as it’s cracked up to be. All it does is make you tired as you go through and finish what you have done. You waste all your time going to the gym or watching what you eat, while you could very much be enjoying a movie on the old television while chewing on a delicious piece of pizza. Why eat all that junk that is “healthy”, what’s really bad about “junk food”. Is there anything wrong with enjoying yourself. No, there is nothing wrong at all. I believe you should have the chance to make all of your own decisions and to do whatever it is that you want.... [tags: Persuasion Essay Against Exercise]
623 words (1.8 pages)
- Introduction Diet and exercise can take inches off your waist. Comstock Images/Stockbyte/Getty Images Don't be surprised if those endless crunches and sit-ups you've been doing aren't slimming down your midsection. Super exercising one area in an effort to slim it down doesn't work; only full-body weight loss through diet and exercise can make you lose inches from your midriff. (See References 1) Not only will this improve your appearance, it'll also improve your health, because excess fat around your midsection heightens your risk of serious conditions, such as high blood pressure and heart disease.... [tags: health, weight, training]
758 words (2.2 pages)
- The Effects of Exercise on Health Exercise may be a matter of choice for the normal weight young person who has never had to diet, but for people who are trying to lose weight for life, those who are aging, have risk Factors for or have osteoporosis, are at high risk for cardiovascular disease or diabetes and those who would just like to continue their years with life in them, It is a necessity. If people lose weight through dieting alone it means that twenty to fifty percent of the weight they dropped was lean body mass (muscle), this muscle mass loss is life threatening if it continues for long amounts of time.... [tags: Papers]
1836 words (5.2 pages)
- Webster's dictionary defines exercise as bodily activity for the sake of health. Many people in today's society are health conscious. They know that if you exercise you will be helping the body feel better. It will also improve your health. This article explains the benefits of regular exercise. WebMD states that regular physical activity can help the body maintain, repair, and improve itself. Coronary Heart Disease is one of the leading problems for most African Americans. If brisk walking, running, cycling or swimming is done it increase muscle strength of the heart.... [tags: Health, Fitness]
309 words (0.9 pages)
- Jean Nidetch initially created the Weight Watchers diet plan in 1963 when she invited friends over for a weekly meeting about weight loss. Weight Watcher is now in 30 different countries around the world. In North America 20,000, meetings are held each week. (Northwestern, 2005) This diet is a weight loss program derived through the study of science. By keeping up to date on the latest medical and scientific research, Weight Watchers is able to keep their program constantly changing, evolving, and becoming a state-of-the-art program.... [tags: essays research papers]
816 words (2.3 pages)
- Cricket Training Program Like any athlete, cricket players also need to follow a strength and conditioning program that aims towards them peaking at certain stages of the year. By concentrating on a combination of strength training and CV workouts throughout the winter season will enable you to perform with greater ability and reduce risk of injury during the summer season. cricket training program Along with building a good base of strength and fitness, the skills of the game should be worked on, ideally as a team in order to produce a higher level of combined skills, as cricket is a sport that is played in two forms, batting and fielding.... [tags: Papers]
1238 words (3.5 pages)
If you are thinking about starting an exercise program, or
if you are already working out, these are some suggestions
for you to consider in order to remain committed to your
plan and enjoy exercising.
Set short- and long-term goals, it will motivate you.
Write down your goals and a plan of action. Remember a time
in your life when you were able to stay with a routine and
follow the same steps you followed in the past. Your
behavior is what is going to determine your success, once
you have written your goals, make sure you take the steps
that will lead to the result you want. If you never have
done a goal setting exercise before, look for a book in the
library or bookstore. Goal setting exercises can be usually
found in business and psychology books.
Consider the negative consequences of not staying with the
Make a list of the negative consequences and feelings you
are going to experience and what you're going to miss out
in your life if you don't stay with your exercise program.
Consider the positive results of committing to the program.
Make a list of the results you will get if you stay
committed to your program. When you start thinking about
not going to work out, focus your attention on the positive
results and feelings you will experience when you reach
your fitness goal.
Change your lifestyle, make it a priority until it becomes
Everything you do today you had to learn, and now you don't
have to think about it anymore. The habit has been formed.
Make your exercise program a priority in your life until
you have created the habit and have integrated it in your
lifestyle. Don't allow any excuses or make any changes in
your schedule for the first few weeks so that you can go
through the initial adaptation process and start feeling
comfortable with your new routine.
Make a commitment to a friend or family member who will
encourage and support you.
We tend to do more for ourselves when we make the
commitment to other people who care about us and who want
to see us succeed. Find out what made you drop out of an
exercise program in the past. Discuss with a friend or
family member how they can help you this time. They can
give you support in many different ways.
Perhaps they may even join the club and exercise program
with you. If you know that someone is waiting for you at
the gym, you will be more inclined to go when you start
having second thoughts about it, or when something else
comes up and you don't feel like going.
These are some ideas of behaviors and thoughts you can
practice to reach your goal of staying with an exercise
program and loving it. The results of the study we
conducted also indicated that the majority of people
exercised because of their health, appearance, and most of
all, because it felt good. Once you start feeling good
about your health and physical appearance, you will be more
inclined to stay with the program to continue to get the
results you want. After awhile it will become part of your
lifestyle, like everything else you do today.