Essay PreviewMore ↓
I have always enjoyed mathematics from an early age. As I progressed through A-level, I began to appreciate the importance of mathematics in other science and in commercial life. I believe that a degree in mathematics will leave me very versatile in terms of a future career choice. From 1992 onwards, I was selected every year to represent the school for Hans Woyda Mathematics competition between Home Counties schools. In 1997/98, I was captain of the team. Previously, we have reached the semi-finals of the competition. I have also attained three gold awards in the Sharp UK Mathematical Challenge on the occasions I entered. I have also gained a Merit award in the British Physics Olympiad competition.
I enjoy computer programming and am fluent in Basic and Visual Basic. In 1997, I gained experience work with Cable & Wireless at their Mercury One 2 One division. This involved using a Unix based system running in real time with the company's other offices. During this time, I learnt to set-up spreadsheets for the company, requiring macro programming. The aim was to generate weekly forecasts.
The school participated in the Young Enterprise scheme, sponsored by major UK companies. The scheme entails setting up a business organisation with a board of directors comprising of members from various schools. As financial director of Avanti, which manufactured and sold celebratory cards, I was responsible for the company's financial health. The company made a considerable profit (67% net), leading to second position in the local competition. This experience gave me the opportunity to develop my organisational and communication skills. I was also an active member of the 6th form council with responsibility for ordering and monitoring stock for the vending machine.
Since 1994, I have played rugby for the school's 1st XV. I have competed for the school at 200m and recently took part in the 'Tough Guy' competition, an endurance course entailing several months of rigorous training and raising money for charity. I have recently gained my 1st Dan Black belt in Karate.
How to Cite this Page
"Free College Admissions Essays: Mathematics." 123HelpMe.com. 16 Aug 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I Have Always Enjoyed Mathematics I have always thoroughly enjoyed Mathematics, and perhaps naturally, I am looking towards a degree course in finance. However, I have other interests beside Mathematics. I believe a Business and Management degree course would be more satisfying because of its diverse elements. When recently I became Deputy Head Girl, my interest in management was awakened. I now have important responsibilities. I have become much more aware of time-management, working as part of a team, setting targets, and representing both the Headmaster and the pupils.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
407 words (1.2 pages)
- Desire to become a Scientist Ever since I could remember, I have always wanted to become a scientist. That craving to understand the mysteries of the universe has been one of the most passionate desires of mine since I was a toddler. I can still recall laying in my bed, staring at the ceiling, and wondering why some people had crooked teeth while others didn't. The question "How?" always echoed within my thoughts. When I entered school, science and mathematics quickly became one of my most favored subjects.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
441 words (1.3 pages)
- I Am Smart and Jewish (Is that Redundant?) As my application shows, I am an above average student in most areas. I have particularly excelled in mathematics, earning good grades throughout high school. When pondering about my future, I thought that I might be able to use math to be successful in business. So after my sophomore year, I decided to take some business courses with the goal of attaining a solid background in the field. High school, however, has not adequately prepared me to enter the world of business.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
584 words (1.7 pages)
- I Have Traded it All to Be a Filmmaker I left a secure job and a lifestyle that would have catapulted me into the upper middle class by age 30. I disappointed my family and shocked my friends, but the applause from the packed auditorium vindicated my decision to pursue my passion. At great expense, I decided to follow my dreams, to refuse to be disappointed or discouraged by life. As I reflected on all the difficulties I persevered through in reaching that point in my life, I felt a hand patting me on my shoulder praising my work.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
1033 words (3 pages)
- Computer Science I have always been interested and intrigued by computers, ever since using a BBC when I was very young. Since then I have become fluent in writing BASIC and more recently I have learnt HTML, the language of the World Wide Web on which I have my own wesite. I use computers for most of my exam coursework such as Solving Equations Using Numerical Methods for Pure Maths 2 and also for recreation. My A-level studies are Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Design Technology.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
542 words (1.5 pages)
- Personal Statement: Interests, Experiences, and Goals in Nuclear Engineering Money and fame do not motivate my goals. Engineering in all forms is a field of innovation and invention. Aspirations of any great engineer should be to introduce to the world a new idea, product, or service that will make people happier and the environment safer. Success in these challenges is a reward greater than any dollar amount or public recognition. Engineers bring societies to new levels of civilization through their advancements in technology and discovery.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
518 words (1.5 pages)
- MIT Admissions Essay I may seem to be someone with many unconnected facets and talents once you have read all the other essays on this application. This essay is intended to slap together a few of the pieces of myself that I have displayed here. The human race is immortal ( that was a doozy wasn't it ). There is nothing that forces us to decay into old age and die, this is merely our body destroying itself once our purpose ( reproduction ) is complete. Evolution not only did not bother to select against genes that kill off people past 40, but to some degree selected for such genes: the faster we go through generations, the faster we evolve.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
485 words (1.4 pages)
- CTY, one of the most successful programs run by the Institute for the Academic Advancement of Youth (IAAY), was my first step toward a greater world. It's a three-week summer camp located at various colleges and universities around the nation that really let middle school scholars' minds run wild and free for the first time. I was a CTYer for three wonderful years, with each succeeding year being better. During Session I of 1989, I went to Scripps College in California and studied Precalculus during Session I.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
298 words (0.9 pages)
- College Admissions: Essay for Stanford As the beast ran rampant through the streets, I couldn't help but wonder if my work had been for naught. Trying to salvage any remains, I chased my dog from the room and stared at the havoc left in his wake. The city lay in ruins; the buildings were razed. The prospect of beginning from scratch was ponderous, but I instantly welcomed the challenge. With patience and determination, I began returning the small plastic bricks into their former glory; and then greater glory.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
521 words (1.5 pages)
- College Admissions: The Outreach Program The Panuluyan was a real eye-opener for me. It made me become aware of the things, which I have normally taken for granted. It was so surprising to see how much little they have, yet at the same time they cherish each little blessing they receive and they never cease to be grateful for what is given to them. It made me see that it was easier to please those who have less, because they expect less. The trip to Camarin also made me realize how much different we are, yet very much the same.... [tags: College Admissions Essays]
641 words (1.8 pages)
During my year out, I plan to travel in Europe. I intend to learn Italian by spending a few months in Italy. I also plan to spend a few months working in a financial institution, this being a possible choice of future career. I have become interested in history with emphasis on developments in Mathematics.