Essay PreviewMore ↓
I could investigate the following factors:
* Angle of displacement
* Length of string
* Pendulum weight
I am going to investigate and see if varying the length of string will
affect the period of the pendulum.
My prediction is: The longer the string the longer the period. The
period will be longer as the pendulum has farther to travel. My theory
is demonstrated below.
Pendulum A has a shorter string. This gives it a shorter period.
Pendulum B has a longer string and has a much larger period as it has
farther to travel to get from X to Y to X which is one period.
I made my prediction based on a previous experiment I have done. The
length affected the period as stated above and I think this will
happen again in this experiment. I looked at a clock with a pendulum
to see how it worked. I found that to change the speed of a second you
adjust the length of the pole which the pendulum hangs from, so I also
based my prediction on that as it is the same principle.
I set up a trial experiment to test out the following:
* Which angle of displacement to use (e.g. 90°)
* How many readings to take
* Which lengths of string to measure (e.g. every 10cm)
* Where to carry out the experiment (on a desk/floor etc..)
To ensure the test is fair I am going to:
* Use the same piece of string
* Use the same weight pendulum (preferably the exact same pendulum)
* Make sure the string is measured accurately
To ensure the test is safe I am going to:
* Use a sensible angle of displacement
* Not to swing the pendulum near others
To ensure the test is accurate I am going to:
How to Cite this Page
"An Investigation of the Factors Affecting the Period of a Pendulum." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Apr 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Investigating the Time Period of a Pendulum The time period of a pendulum is the time taken for the pendulum to swing from one point to another point, for instance from point A to point B and back again. This diagram illustrates the experiment. This experiment calls for me to record this time period, however I feel it is too short, so I will time 20 time periods for accuracy. I will then take this number and divide it by 20 to give one accurate time period. When doing this experiment I will need to think of two independent variables: 1.... [tags: Papers]
566 words (1.6 pages)
- Investigating the Factors Affecting the Time Peiod of a Pendulum Aim: To investigate the factors affecting the time period of a pendulum Introduction: [IMAGE]The time period of a pendulum is the amount of time that a pendulum takes to swing from position A, through positions B and C and back to A again. It is the movement from 1 peak to another, i.e. one oscillation. I need to examine the factors affecting how long it takes for 1 oscillation to take place, In relation to the energy transfers involved.... [tags: Papers]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Factors that Affect the Period of a Pendulum Purpose: To determine the factor(s) that affect the period of a pendulum. Hypothesis: The factors that I think will affect the period of the pendulum are the displacement and the suspended mass because if the mass of the bob is a lot than it will take more force for the pendulum to swing and if there's a high displacement it will give the pendulum more energy to complete the cycle. Materials: stopwatch 100, 200, and a 500g bob protractor meter stick string Procedures: 1.... [tags: Papers]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- Investigating the Factors that Affect the Period of One Swing of a Pendulum Aim: To investigate the factors which affect the period of one swing (oscillation) of a simple pendulum. The factors I will use are length of the string, and angle that the bob is released from. Hypothesis: 1. Length of string I think that the length of the string directly affects the period of one oscillation. The mathematical formula used to describe the period of the pendulum is: T= 2 pâˆštex2html_wrap_inline105/g T is the period (time for one swing - seconds) tex2html_wrap_inline105 is the length of the pendulum (metres) g is the acceleration dues to gravity.... [tags: Papers]
1668 words (4.8 pages)
- Pendulum Investigation Plan Aim To investigate how the length of a simple pendulum will affect the time for a full swing. Variables Length The length of the pendulum has a large effect on the time for a complete swing. As the pendulum gets longer the time increases. As the pendulum gets shorter the time decreases. Air resistance A big and light pendulum bobble would be affected by a major amount of air resistance. This might cause the pendulum to move in a different way.... [tags: Papers]
1305 words (3.7 pages)
- The Effect Length Has on a Pendulum's Period Prediction: I predict that the shorter the length of string, the shorter the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one period. The longer the length of the string, the longer the time it will take to complete one period. Equipment needed for experiment: -Clamp -Stopwatch -Bob/Ball -Metre ruler -String Obtaining the results: I will be measuring the length of the string in 10s, so that I can obtain a wider range of results.... [tags: Papers]
507 words (1.4 pages)
- The Effect of T-Period on the Pendulum Factors that affect the pendulum: ================================= § Length of string § Weight of ball § How far you pull it back - any slack in the string. [IMAGE] ======= Introduction ============ Newton discovered 3 laws of motion. They were: · Newton’s first law of Motion was “Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.” · Newton’s second law of Motion was “The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma.... [tags: Papers]
500 words (1.4 pages)
- The Pit and the Pendulum "The place where you die is where you become young again." The accused in "The Pit and the Pendulum" is obviously being persecuted. For what religion or practice we do not know. For what crime it is not said. The prisoner does not even question his guilt or innocence. The accused in this story, to whom Poe does not give a name, is subjected to three life threatening situations. Poe, along with other English Romantics believed that being born was actually coming to the end of another existence.... [tags: Pit and the Pendulum Essays]
698 words (2 pages)
- Pendulum Investigation Introduction In this investigation, I will try to attempt an experiment that will measure the time taken for a pendulum to oscillate for one complete swing; I will also explore and investigate the numerous variables that might effect the time taken to oscillate. Factors effecting periodic time =============================== The factors, which might affect the time taken for a pendulum to complete one swing, are: 1. The length of string 2.... [tags: Papers]
2453 words (7 pages)
- Investigating Factors that Affect the Swinging Of a Pendulum Aim Our aim is to find out whether changing the variables of the swinging pendulum affects the speed. Preliminary Work In order to find out which variable/s affect the swinging of a pendulum, I need to test all the variables available. There are three variables we will be investigating: * The length of the string * The mass of the pendulum * The angle from which the pendulum is swung For each experiment, I will change the length/mass/angle five times, and repeat each length/mass/angle just once.... [tags: Papers]
1958 words (5.6 pages)
* Run the experiment 3 times and take an average
* The time for one oscillation is very small so I have decided to
measure 10 oscillations then divide the result by 10 so I obtain a
more accurate set of results.
* Double check all measurements of string
* Use the same angle of displacement (amplitude)
In my experiment I used the above ways to keep the test fair and
accurate. I also did the experiment 3 times and so I could take an
average. This made my results more accurate and fair.
While accurately conducting my experiment I recorded this set of
Table of results
Length of pendulum (cm)
Graph of results
My graph clearly shows a pattern in my results. It shows a positive
correlation and that the longer the string the longer the oscillation.
This proves that my original prediction was correct. The pendulum
takes longer to oscillate if the string is longer and it takes a
shorter amount of time to oscillate if the string is shorter.
I think that the experiment went very well as we had no problems
conducting it. Our observations were quite accurate but probably could
have been more accurate if we had a computer to measure the time
exactly. We designed the experiment carefully bit I would change a few
* The type of string used. As we got farther into our experiment the
string started to fray so it would have been better to use a
stronger type of string.
* Where we hung the pendulum. I would change this because sometimes
the pendulum hit the table and clamp stand whilst swinging so
ideally we would have liked to hang it from the ceiling or hook.
I also think I have enough evidence to support my conclusion as all
our results showed the same relationship between length of string and
I also referred to the clock mechanism in my prediction so I think I
have enough evidence to support my conclusion.
I could also perform more experiments to research the pendulum more.
By changing the weight of the pendulum or even changing the angle of
displacement. Doing this would give me a wider knowledge of why the
pendulums oscillations vary