Essay PreviewMore ↓
Sex in the New Millinium
References to sexuality and sexual activities seem s to surround the American public in everything we do. Movies, music, the Bible, religion and politics are all related to sexuality and sexual activities in one way or another.
MTV, the first 24-hour music network, has been structured around youths ranging from the age of 12 to 34. In fact 28% of their viewership is under the age of 18. You ask why bring MTV into something sexual? Well, the music videos shown tend to center their theme on gender portrayal sand sexual or violent content. Women are portrayed as passive characters and sexual objects. 81% of the videos that contain violence also contain sexual imagery. Some videos that contain certain lyrics and actions about sexuality and sexual behavior can encourage a na‹ve child to do something that they should not be doing. So why do producers keep making videos that are so harmful to our youth? They do this because sexual imagery increases the appeal of the music videos. Certainly, the language of music videos includes a variety of symbols and images.
For any individual, regardless of sexual inclination, to embrace the vague sexual desires is to claim a nature that God never intended for us. On the other hand, to make sharp distinctions among human beings, in terms of þhomosexuals and heterosexualsþ, is underestimating how permanently self-referential and self-absorbed our society is. How does the church feel about sexuality? A individual is not born þgayþ or þstraightþ they are born þmaleþ or þfemaleþ. The church of the 90þs has accepted the gay community for whom they are and what they believe in. However, they feel that God did not create them with these ideas in mind. The gays just acquired them from society.
Something that I came across time and time again as I researched sexuality was what is the main influence on someone that helps them decide their sexuality and their sexual actions? Through research, it seems as though our society is convinced that parents and the educational system must interact with young children and teach them about sex. By instilling strong morals and values in our children, parents feel that they will make the þrightþ decisions when it comes to anything sexual. But who is the one to decide what is þrightþ and what is þwrongþ.
How to Cite this Page
"Teens and Sex - Sex in the New Millinium." 123HelpMe.com. 19 Jul 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Curfews and Teens Do curfews really keep teens out of trouble. Most teens do not tell their parents where they are going when they leave and most parents do not ask either. Then most teens have free range once they start driving. Also, teens like to party like there is no tomorrow which most of them lead to hardcore drug and alcohol abuse in their near and distant future. So curfews really do not keep teens out of trouble no matter what parents may think. First when teens go out most of the time parents do not know where they are going or who they are hanging out with and some do not even care.... [tags: curfew, drive, teens, parents]
552 words (1.6 pages)
- In a world overwhelmed by television, commercials, billboards, magazine advertisements and the Internet, the power that the media holds and how it influences society has become an accepted part of our daily lives. When we watch television or browse the Internet, we see media reports on how celebrities have altered their faces or the debut of the newest weight loss tactic. Do People Magazine, Cosmopolitan, or U.S Weekly promote anything other than fashion, gossip and celebrities. These rumor magazines are types of media that show readers, many of them being teenagers, the hottest gossip about celebrities.... [tags: media and teens, teenagers]
4550 words (13 pages)
- With the new world of technology, Helicopter parenting is easier for the parents of developing teens. In some cases the parents take things to the extreme and the children become very sheltered and depressed. Aubrey Ireland is one of many young adults with helicopter parents. She was a senior in college and her parents would constantly drive over 600 miles to “surprise” her. They also had tracking devices on all her electronics and made her keep her Skype open while she was asleep so they could make sure she was ok while she was sleeping.("Helicopter Parenting Has Gone Too Far.") When parenting is taken as far as the case with Aubrey, there is no turning back for the parent.... [tags: children, teens, competitive world]
1770 words (5.1 pages)
- Teen Pregnancy Before we venture into the controversial aspects of teen pregnancy, I think that it is imortant to answer a vital question brought up by one of our classmates. This question addresses how teen pregnancy has evolved and how times have changed to bring upon such a serious issue. To begin answering this question we must take a look back in time to the roles of women and men in our society. Teen pregnancy is not just a rare virus that has recently sprung up and will someday dissapear due to some type of cure.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1279 words (3.7 pages)
- Sex and Disease Since the beginning of the semester we've been working in groups in order to complete a mid term report, based on our picked topic. I'm part of the group Sex in the New Millennium. We as a group focused our attention on three main categories, sexuality, and sexual preferences, Pregnancies and abortions, and finally sexually transmitted diseases. Sex is the key ingredient that most companies and advertising agencies are using to sell their products. And as a result we the viewers (being what ever age we may be) are the true victims.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1198 words (3.4 pages)
- Adolescence can be a time filled with uncertainty and excitement. Boys and girls alike worry about their looks, grades, peer pressure, dating, and their futures. When sex is added to the mix, another layer of anxiety or concern can bring about more complications to an already overwhelmed teen. The consequences of becoming sexually active during adolescence can include pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, and depression. One obvious consequence teens face when they become sexually active is pregnancy.... [tags: Sex Education, persuasive, teen pregnancy]
1302 words (3.7 pages)
- Teenage Pregnancy Teenage pregnancy has always been present in society. There is research stating that about half the women, born between 1900- 1910, who were interviewed were non-virginal at marriage (17 Ravoira). This contradicts some thoughts that premarital sexual behavior is something new. There was another study done in 1953, it found that one fifth of all first births to women were conceived before marriage (17 Ravoira). Even before our modern openness in discussing sexual behavior and acceptance that it does occur, it was quite routine.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1515 words (4.3 pages)
- Abortion And Teenagers Throughout the semester, I have been researching information concerning abortion. Many people are totally against abortion, while others feel that there is nothing wrong with it. Some say that even if the fetus is one week or 45 weeks old it is still considered murder. Where do we draw a line. It is obvious that there will never be a right or wrong answer. Every women should have the right to do what she wants. Whether it is abortion or not. Some say that even contraception is wrong.... [tags: Argumentative Persuasive Topics]
1209 words (3.5 pages)
- The Impure Waterwheel Have you ever seen a watermill. Turning continuously, they are bound in an eternal cycle. Continually spinning,, the lack of purity in the United States can be compared to that watermill, a never-ending cycle that threatens to spin out of control. We must intercede. Sex out of wedlock creates dysfunctional families, and teens searching for “more” in life, who often turn to the reason they're feeling so glum, sex. Having sex out of wedlock is a big problem in the United States that needs to stop.... [tags: Sexual Education Pregnancy Marriage]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- In order insure America’s future, a national problem needs to addressed. Is America’s youth being educated in regards to preventing teenage pregnancy. Did you know that approximately every two minutes, a teenage girl in the United States gives birth (Guernsey 6). While this fact may be sad and startling to most people, it is indeed the truth. Over the past few decades, the problem of teen pregnancy has grown considerably in this country. However, the most extensive dilemma regarding the issue of adolescent pregnancy is the incredibly important question of prevention.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1521 words (4.3 pages)
Sexuality education of adolescents by parents and educators seems to be critical in the 90þs. School based sexual education programs are successful in increasing studentsþ knowledge but are less successful in altering a students attitudes and behaviors about sex. Why? This is because parents are delaying their participation in educating their kids about sex because they feel it is unnecessary because their kids arenþt having sex. Well, they are wrong because kids as young as 9 years of age are experimenting with their sexuality.
For instance, about 95% of adolescents know condoms provide one effective way to avoid HIV infection and teenage pregnancy but less than half of the sexually active kids from ages 15-17 use condoms consistently. Why? Again these kids lack the advice and supervision of their parents.
Sexuality education provided by parents has been shown to have a beneficial affect on their childrenþs sexual attitudes and values. Studies suggest adolescents who communicate with their parents about sexuality tend to be less sexually active and more likely to use contraceptives when they do become sexually involved. The home seems like an ideal place to influence sexuality related attitudes, values and behavior. Unfortunately, as I stated before, many parents are reluctant to initiate conversations about sexual issues with their kids. How and why are some parents so oblivious to the problem? Well one reason is that they may need to be reassured that their children want to talk to them about sex related issues. Another reason is that parents may be unfamiliar with their own sexuality and are uncomfortable discussing the issue. Another large reason some parents do not talk to their kids about sex is because they just do not know enough about the issue at hand.
Another large issue parents deal with is when is the correct time to teach their kids about sexuality and sex? Some feel that if they present this information to their children at an early age then we are encouraging them to go out and have sex. However this is not the case because if the parents donþt talk to the kids at an early stage of development, the kids will pick up the information from the television and from older kids. This is exactly what seems to be going on because parents are not involved and kids are getting the wrong information and doing all the wrong things. Adolescence is a time of significant opportunity and significant challenge. Some challenges adolescents face may be difficult which may result in problems that are expressed as affective disturbances or by the adolescents participation in risk taking behaviors such as sex.
The developmental process of puberty is what brings about the characteristics of sex such as sex-drive, genitalia, hair growth and rapid changes of weight and height. Boys ranging from nine and a half to fourteen and half years old go through the phase and girls go through puberty as early as eight and as late as 13.
Our Sex in the new millinum is focusing on the main issues of sex. However, I feel as though the most important factor that can predict what state sexuality and sex will be in during the year 2010 is how well we educate the next generation about this topic. Our parents generation was misinformed on the issue and our generation was well informed but did not want to face reality and became very careless. However, adults like Michael Jordan and children like Ryan White are dying or are dead because of their lack of education. Letþs not let history repeat itself and create a more deadly epidemic that will kill our kids. Letþs try to learn from our mistakes.