Essay PreviewMore ↓
What is the definition of a friend? Many people have friends that they can count on for anything. Others have fair-weather friends that are there when they need something. There are countless definitions of what a friend could be. Someone who has a close personal relationship of mutual affection and trust with another is the dictionary's definition of a friend.
Although there are many definitions of a friend, one knows the true meaning of friendship if they have ever had a friend. Friends often come and go but true friends always stay. Many people learn from their friends and often ask the advice of their buddy. Having a good friend can usually brighten a bad day, and make one smile since that is what friends are for.
Being a good friend means that one will not judge the others mistakes but help with the correction of the mistakes. A good friend listens to problems and lends useful advice to better their situation. Being a good pal means that no matter what happens one will stand next to their friend's decisions and choices. Sometimes one may not always like what their friends have to say but since there is a common ground between the two one will often listen and respect what the other has to say.
Often times there is a challenge in camaraderie and some of the time there is an all out loss of friendship. Many people are friends with others but do not always treat their friend how they should. This results in fighting between friends. Most of the time it is a quick argument that ends in a better understanding of the others feelings. But sometimes friendships are hurt and it could take a very long time to repair the friendship, if it even could be repaired.
Support of a friend is one of the most important things that a friendship can offer. Letting a buddy know that one is behind them in whatever they do and that one will support them in the decision they make is a good foundation for friendship. Even though one might not make the same choices that their friend does, they will still support whatever decision their friend makes.
How to Cite this Page
"The Definition of a Friend." 123HelpMe.com. 15 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Definition of a Friend What is the definition of a friend. Many people have friends that they can count on for anything. Others have fair-weather friends that are there when they need something. There are countless definitions of what a friend could be. Someone who has a close personal relationship of mutual affection and trust with another is the dictionary's definition of a friend. Although there are many definitions of a friend, one knows the true meaning of friendship if they have ever had a friend.... [tags: Personal Essays Friendship Description Paps]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- What is a friend. A friend is someone who supports you, sympathizes with you, or patronizes a group. An easily definition of that would be a person you know, like and trust. In these tough times we count on friend to help us get through. I like to think of friendship as everlasting, but is friendship truly forever. Can miles drive you away from friends you made after graduating from places like high school or college. Just imagine walking across the stage and never seeing the people you graduated with.... [tags: friendship essay, definition]
626 words (1.8 pages)
- "Friendship" is defined in Webster’s Dictionary as, the state of being friends, or a friendly feeling. Friends, on the other hand, are defined as people whom one knows well and is fond of. The second definition states a friend as an ally, supporter, or sympathizer. My personal definition of "friendship" is a feeling or emotion expressed in such a way that another feels wanted and important, a relationship between a person or persons where everyone has some companion to talk to when their in need of one.... [tags: Definition Essays Friendship Essay]
672 words (1.9 pages)
- Friendships are one of the most important things you can get out of life. It’s something that everyone has to have because without it we would all go insane. Just think if no one talked to each other and we never made friends, this world would be a ticking time bomb. Studies say human need friendships and love to survive. So friendship is a big part of your life. There is no real definition of friendship, because there’s no one way you can define it. Friendships can mean many different things, depending on the person.... [tags: friendship essay, my best friend]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- A Best Friend is… “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never ever the same” (Unknown). What is a “best friend”. Almost everyone has one, and almost everyone is one. There’s something about a best friend that cannot be duplicated. Everyone has their own definition of what their own best friend is like and what an impact he or she has made in their life. In this essay I would like to take a better look at some of the simple things that we might take for granted when we think of our best friends.... [tags: Friendship, Interpersonal relationship, Virtue]
899 words (2.6 pages)
- The Definition of Courage The current dictionary definitions of courage are inadequate because they only include references to physical courage and omit instances of inner strength. Three contemporary dictionaries agree closely on the definition although they differ in the order of importance. Webster's New World Dictionary describes courage as "an attitude of facing and dealing with anything recognized as dangerous, difficult or painful, instead of withdrawing from it," and The American Heritage Dictionary gives a similar explanation. While The Shorter Oxford Dictionary concurs with this meaning, it states that the primary definition is "spirit, mind, or disposition.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays ]
845 words (2.4 pages)
- The Definition of Love Love by definition is an emotion explored in philosophy, religion, and literature, often as either romantic love, the fraternal love of others, or the love of God based on the definition found in The Encarta Encyclopedia. As I explored the definition by means of the Internet, books, and articles I noticed the definitions changed quite a bit, but yet had the same basic understanding. The definition I found in The Encarta Encyclopedia was probably the most simple and most basic.... [tags: Definition Essays Love Godly Romantic Essays]
1038 words (3 pages)
- Do you know someone rich and famous. Is that person confident, popular, and joyful all of the time—the epitome of mainstream success. Or, on the other hand, is the person stressed, having second thoughts about his life choices, and unsure about the meaning of his life. I am willing to bet that it is the second one. Mainstream marketing and media have effectively brainwashed our society into accepting a false, even potentially dangerous definition of success. Marketers want us to believe that having lots of money, living in a big house, and owning all of the latest cars, fashions, and technology is the key to happiness, and hence, success.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
1410 words (4 pages)
- “Success is the peace that comes with knowing your accomplishments have purpose.” – Hutch Putnam – Success is a word that really hard to define, because everyone will have a different definition for this word. In fact, there no exact definition for the word "success". For a student, maybe the success means to pass all courses of the semester; for a business man, signing a importance contract and get a lot of money are successes; and for a president, leading the country to develop and make the people have a better life are success.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
2225 words (6.4 pages)
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. – Winston Churchill -- Success is defined as the favorable termination of attempts or endeavors and the accomplishment of one’s goals. When I hear the word success, I think of my friend and my teacher, Mrs. Regina Kynes. I consider her successful because she has a strong family, a favorable career, and she is the most generous person that I know. Mrs. Kynes is respected and admired by those who see her as successful.... [tags: Definition Essays 2014]
555 words (1.6 pages)
Since there are so many definitions of what a friend could be it is often overlooked that a true friend is really a true friend. Spending time with one and understanding where they are coming from is a good base of friendship. Many people do not often realize the intense relationship that one has with a friend until it is lost. So the writers advice is to treat ones friends they way one would want to be treated.