Essay PreviewMore ↓
It is constantly surrounding us. It cannot be evaded. Pornography is an initial part of the entertainment mainstream. Whether it is in magazines, or in music, pornography is gender-prejudiced. The word pornography can be defined as the depiction of erotic behavior intended to cause sexual excitement.
Degrasion towards women is its only accomplishment. The poses they take and the acts they perform are all part of the discrimination that women face . The only thing pornography offers is negative effects on women. Pornography, whether on a page, in music, or on screen, is degrading to all females. Magazines, posters, and other materials portray women as something less than human. A women in Florida argued that she was harassed by her male co-workers who put up graphically sexual posters and calendars, some showing women being abused. Among the offensive materials was a poster with a frontal view of a nude women with a dehumanizing USDA choice printed on it. Also , a teacher in Canada asked the Ontario Human Rights Commission to order the removal of pornographic magazines from convenience stores on the grounds that they create a hostile environment for women. Even Playboy and Penthouse , two of the more popular menþs magazines that actually contain insightful articles on current issues or events, degrade women. Psychologist Marty Mckay says that the only way to protect womenþs rights is to prohibit the sale of skin magazines in corner stores. Men are not put into the same portion, and there in lies the discrimination. When speaking of pornography in action, X- rated videos are the first thing that comes to mind. A shop in downtown Toronto that sells dirty movies and frightening looking sex toys has Ultra Great Sex tapes for less than $25.30. One scene contains two men performing simultaneous anal and vaginal intercourse on one women. The obscenity law found in subsection 8 of section 163 in Canadaþs Criminal Code says that a work is absence and illegal if one of its dominant characteristics involves the undue exploitation of sex. A Canada court created three rankings for obscenity. The first, any materials that mixes explicit sex and violence , or include children. The second, works that involves explicit sex and degradation that encourage violence or harm toward women. Finally, other sexual explicit materials is permissible because the obscenity law cannot þinhibit the celebration of human sexuality.
How to Cite this Page
"Pornography and Feminism." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Jul 2018
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Pornography and feminism have had quite an odd relationship. Feminist writers such as Gloria Steinem have denounced the sex industry while it has continued to expand exponentially. Due to technological advances such as the internet and cell phones, pornography is easier to access then ever before. Some publications even estimate that gross annual sales for pornographic videos would exceed four billion dollars (Rich 2011: 1). With this much money being invested into an industry that operates in a capitalistic society, it would be ignorant to hope that it would cease to exist.... [tags: objectifying of women]
1494 words (4.3 pages)
- For centuries, humans have been creating explicit images to depict their sexual fantasies and desires. Times have drastically changed, however, since the first known sex guide, Kama Sutra, was illustrated in 5th-century India (King 412). The selling of sexually explicit material is a multibillion dollar industry (King 411). Today, with just the click of a mouse, millions world-wide are able to access pornography and see their sexual fantasies come to life (King 418). According to King, “One third of all use of the internet is connected to porn sites,” (419).... [tags: Pornography Essays]
948 words (2.7 pages)
- Women today have made strides in narrowing the gender gap with men, beating them in college admission (Francis), and reducing the pay-gap between the sexes by about 17 cents on the dollar over the past 20 years (United States). Despite noticeable advances for women, the notions of sexual female taboo and misogyny still remain ever present. Gender roles and sexuality are a major conflict in American politics today. In the race for the republican nomination for president, Rick Santorum has stated that "America is suffering a pandemic of harm from pornography (Friedersdorf).” A self-described crusader for family values, he has also detailed in his writing that "In far too many families with you... [tags: Pornography Essays]
2187 words (6.2 pages)
- Many people have many ideas and opinions on different things in society. One of these things that come up frequently is a person's opinion on pornography whether it is good or bad for society. My opinion is that porn is good for the society with limitations. Limitations that I believe in are that all persons in the pornography must be or the age of eighteen or older and animal pornography should be banned from print. These limitations could be made by the government or by the companies which make the pornography.... [tags: Pornography Essays]
673 words (1.9 pages)
- Suppose one accepts MacKinnon and Dworkin's suggested statutory definition of pornography. How does one who generally accepts MacKinnon and Dworkin's views on the pervasively harmful effect of pornography, and who accepts a need for legal redress of the harms perpetrated by pornography, deal with pornographic material. The ordinance proposed by MacKinnon and Dworkin would deal with such material by enacting legislation which gives people adversely affected by the works, which clearly fit their definition of pornography, a cause of action against the producers, vendors, exhibitors or distributors for "trafficking", or for an assault "directly caused by the specific work.... [tags: Pornography Essays]
3712 words (10.6 pages)
- Feminism in the novel The Handmaid’s Tale written by Margaret Atwood is a prominent theme. This novel represents the morals and horrors of a vision of feminism, which is sometimes taken to the extremes. Women’s rights have been downgraded and as a result of this women are used to bear children and are constantly watched by the eye. The Handmaids are considered powerful figures in the novels’ society while living in a dystopia of cultural feminism, which cause them to be degraded women with a loss of identity.... [tags: cultural, rights, identity, feminism]
1012 words (2.9 pages)
- The idea that pornography gives feminists of differing opinions this middle ground that they can meet on and see how to articulate the different desires of feminism and what they want to turn it into is one of the main reasons Catherine Lumby argues that feminists need pornography (par 60). As Lumby writes in “Why Feminists Need Porn,” chapter five of her book Bad Girls, “the notion that you can draw a cause and effect line between fantasy and social practice is disturbing and distasteful to some feminists,” (par 60).... [tags: Women's Rights ]
1763 words (5 pages)
- Catharine MacKinnon's Book Feminism Unmodified Catharine MacKinnon, in her book Feminism Unmodified, takes a unique approach to the problem of gender inequality in America. She claims that pornography defines the way in which America’s patriarchal society perpetuates male dominance, and attacks traditional liberal methods that defend pornography on the basis of the first amendment’s right to free speech. According to MacKinnon, pornography is not an example of speech but rather an act. She proposes that this act discriminates against women as a class, and therefore violates their civil rights and should be outlawed.... [tags: Catharine MacKinnon Feminism Essays]
1292 words (3.7 pages)
- Interpretation of A Feminist View on Pornography The article that I will be breaking down in the following paper is “Pornography, Civil Rights, and Speech” by Catherine A. MacKinnon. I believe the best area to start is to briefly describe MacKinnon and her article. MacKinnon is a professor of law at the University of Michigan. The article deals with the affects of pornography on society. MacKinnon feels that some pornography should be illegal. Her reason for this view is not that she finds it offensive, but rather that she considers it as a form of sexual discrimination.... [tags: Critique Rebuttal Essays]
2118 words (6.1 pages)
- Is Pornography Good. Pornography is the theory, Rape is the fact. Robin Morgan, editor of the famous feminist magazine Ms., was quoted as saying this thought provoking statement. This really makes one stop and think. How closely related are pornography and rape, or any violent act for that matter. Many surveys and research studies have been done to answer just that. But the findings have been highly debatable. On one hand, you have people who feel that there is no correlation between the two, that pornography is used only for personal enjoyment, and it stops there.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
848 words (2.4 pages)
Sexual crimes are spurred by pornography. In Massachusetts, feminist groups can be found on both sides of the debate over a proposed bill that would allow individuals who can prove that they were assaulted as a result of pornography, defined as a form of sexual discrimination, to recover damages in civil court from publishers of the materials. In Washington, the Senate Judiciary Committee is considering a law that would allow victims of sex crimes to sue the producers, distributors, and sellers of obscene materials if the victims can prove that the material was a substantial cause of the injury. Proposed laws like the above are steps in the right direction in preventing sexually related crime cases, especially ones like the Ted Bundy case, where the serial killer claimed just before his execution that pornography had fueled his violent fantasies. Pornography currently has more protection than we do, Michigan law professor Catherine Mckinnon said she argued that much of the violence has been inspired by pornography, which she defines as þThe graphic, sexually explicit subordination of women through pictures or words.þ Also , the Ted Bundy case set off an attempt to put a squeeze play on the First Amendment. Pornography Victims Compensation Act, the one described above in Washington, nicknamed the Bundy Bill is technically targeted towards obscene materials. Ted Bundy changed the way America views pornography, but the material contained in pornographic videos has changed itself. At a Toronto shop called þBooks,þ an entire wall is devoted to bondage videos. Among the selection is a tape called þWomen Ruled by Men.þ The cover advertises it as þone of the most exciting bondage videosþ ever made, and depicts two nude women strapped back to back be a series of chains. One has what looks like a horseþs bit in her mouth, held there by a tight strap around her head. Another video cover shows a leather-clad strong man named þSir Michael,þ pulling open the negligee of a young blond women who is gagged with heavy, knotted rope. The pair is in a room that looks like a dungeon, with whips and chains hanging from the wall. The cover invites the viewer to þJoin Sir Michaels as he teases, torments, humiliates, and disciplines some of the most beautiful and submissive women who have fallen under his powerful will.þ If anything could cause a sex crime , it would definitely be something like this, thatþs why this and similar material should be outlawed. The desire to give or get small amounts of pain or fear is produced by the desire for sexual enjoyment, not by a wish to cause or receive real harm. Pornography is employed by individuals for sexual satisfaction, it is evidently not made or used in order to vent feelings of hostility. The most plausible explanation of the sex-violence link is that another sort of excitement notably from pain, fear, or aggression, provided that they are not too extreme can somehow enhance sexual excitement. Sexual crimes are definitely spurred by pornography.
Pornography exceeds the lines of the First Amendments . The First Amendment briefly states that Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise , or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press. It guarantees freedom of speech , or of all persons a right to speak, publish, and otherwise express their views. But it ends by saying that the guarantees are not all absolute terms and that they may exercised only with regard to the rights of all other persons. Those persons , in this situation are, of course, women. Catherine Mckinnon says that pornography is not simply speech, but active sex discrimination, and is therefor not protected by the First Amendment. Any speech that subordinates women, any pornography, is yelling þfire!þ in a crowded theater, says most anti-porn feminist. Pornography works as a behavioral conditioner, reinforcer and stimulus, not as idea or advocacy. It is more like saying þkillþ to a trained guard and also the training process itself. Religious speaker Jerry Falwell once claimed that sex education caused teen pregnancy, just as feminist claim pornography causes rape. Pornography negatively affects only the female gender. The bleak view of male sexuality condemns heterosexuality for women as an exercise in wish fulfillment or false consciousness. Pornography is brutality toward women, it is not an exerce of the First Amendment. The defenses of the amendment are intellectual, but anti-porn feminist have support with hard- core pictures which cross First Amendment lines. The feminist case against pornography is based on the presumption that the link between pornography and sexual violence is clear and simple. The First Amendment is disobeyed as far as pornography is conceived.
If anything can be said about pornography, it is that the variety has expanded and availability is much more convenient. Pornography creates a demeaning attitude toward women. It abuses the First Amendment. Pornography is a parallel of race discrimination. One of the things that just recently happened in the news the is a positive step is that President Bill Clinton banned pornography on the internet. This is something that just happened and will stop allowing this smut on the Internet. Women have come a long way in our world and they should not let something like get in the way of there equality.