Gaming provides more advantages than it does disadvantages. Playing video games is good for you. There are many game genres out there in the world, you just have to choose the right ones to benefit you. For example, if you pick a strategy game, it would help you in critical thinking and benefit you by helping to make good decisions. A great strategy game called Starcraft was inspected in an experiment. It was found that Starcraft helped increased brain flexibility. Brain flexibility is the ability to switch between tasks and look at things from a different point of view. Higher brain flexibility allows you to comprehend multiple concepts at the same time. Brain flexibility allows you to switch between thoughts based on certain conditions and helps you adjust to your situation. For example if I were thinking about playing a video game and end up seeing the word “homework” I would instantly think about whether I have homework or not, and if I do, I would stop thinking about playing game...
... middle of paper ...
... "Some Video Games Improve Eyesight, McMaster Study Finds - Latest Hamilton
News - CBC Hamilton." CBCnews. CBC/Radio Canada, 2 Sept. 2012. Web. 17 Dec. 2013.
Chan, Amanda L. "Brain Teaser Games May Slow Aging Mind." The Huffington Post.
TheHuffingtonPost.com, 02 May 2013. Web. 20 Nov. 2013.
Guarini, Drew. "9 Ways Video Games Can Actually Be Good For You." The Huffington Post.
TheHuffingtonPost.com, 07 Nov. 2013. Web. 20 Nov. 2013.
Handwerk, Brian. "Video Games Improve Vision, Study Says." National Geographic. National
Geographic Society, 29 Mar. 2009. Web. 20 Nov. 2013.
Orenstein, Hannah. "Video Game Effects: Teen Gamers Better At Virtual Surgery Than Medical
Residents (WATCH)." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 16 Nov. 2012. Web.
20 Nov. 2013.
Vries, Lloyd. "Video Gamers Make Good Surgeons." CBSNews. CBS Interactive, 07 Apr. 2004.
Web. 20 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In 1972, the famous video game Pong was released and quickly became the first popular arcade game. A simple game based on ping-pong with archaic graphic design and controls. Thirty-nine years later we have gone from Pong to elaborate Hollywood style games that are based around narrative like Call of Duty or Metal Gear Solid. Video games have come from simply being games to becoming what some argue is a new medium for narrative that can tell a story uniquely and completely unlike film and literature.... [tags: Video Games]
1426 words (4.1 pages)
- The use of video games has become a norm for many people and families. They may be used to relax after a long day of work, or as a way for the family to all participate in something together. Many people view video games as just another form of entertainment, but could they actually be more. Meditation is used as a therapy to reduce the stress of everyday life. It is a way to focus one’s mind on the present and alleviate the stress that life can cause. By focusing on something besides stress, a person is able to relax.... [tags: Video Games]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Did you know that Pong; the first game made by Atari, wasn’t originally meant to be released to the public. A new Atari employee was given the assignment of making it simply as a test of his game design skills. Since Pong became a hit, video games have been a large part of the entertainment business. They have found their way into homes all over the world. “You can’t say that video games grew out of pinball, but you can assume that video games wouldn’t have happened without it. It’s like bicycles and cars.... [tags: Video Games]
2092 words (6 pages)
- It seems like everything coming out about video games is bad. A student tried to kill his fellow classmates, and he was an avid Call of Duty player. A study has been released that proves that playing video games will turn you into a criminal. The many benefits of games and gaming, such as their possible applications to education and their ability to tell more complex stories than other forms of media, are almost universally ignored. I know better, though. Between the lifetime I’ve spent playing and loving video games, and the articles I’ve found, I can tell you that video games do not cause violent behavior or thoughts.... [tags: Video Games]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Video Games Effect On Society The U.S. population consumes violence media voraciously. Youths between the ages of 8 and 18 spend more than 40 hours per week using some type of media, not counting school or homework assignments (Rideout et al.). Television is the most common source of violent media, but electronic video games are rapidly growing in popularity. Numerous studies have shown that video games, especially ones with violent content, make teens more aggressive. Part of the increase in aggressive behavior is linked to the amount of time children are allowed to play video games.... [tags: video games, teens, entertaintment]
1495 words (4.3 pages)
- The censoring of violent video games has been a controversial issue since the early 90’s to the present time, and has been growing more and more with the advanced graphics that have been developing each and every year. (Including the fact that people react even more to the unexplained missions that they give in video games). For the good of society violent video games should be banned. There are many positive effects to censoring violent video games, but one that has the most impact on the whole controversial issue is health.... [tags: violent video games, obesity]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Do videogames really need to be censored by the United States’ Government. Over the past several years there has been a controversial court case under discussion to censor videogames. This case is trying to get the United States’ Government to prohibit the selling of all videogames that may include graphic violence, virtual sex, violent and gory scenes, partial or full nudity, portrayal of criminal behavior or other provocative and objectionable material (Mears, Para 1). There are numerous arguments why videogames should or should not be censored.... [tags: Government, Censoring Video Games]
2197 words (6.3 pages)
- Violence and Sexuality in Video Games Unlike popular belief, the first violent video game was not Mortal Kombat. The killing started with a game called Death Race 2000 released in 1976 by Exidy Software. It was based on a B movie by the same title and features the main theme of the movie in the game: to run people over. You control the car to run over people, and the people you have killed become a cross. Needless to say, the game was quick to draw attentions towards it. The criticism from Americans all over the nation eventually got the game pulled off the market.... [tags: Video Games]
3088 words (8.8 pages)
- The History of Video Games 1972, the year the first home video game system, named Odyssey, is released by Magnavox. This main games featured on this system were a light gun game and a tennis game. During the same time, a game by the name of Pong is a success in the public. It is because people wanted to play Pong in the comfort of their own homes, that they bought Odyssey. The system only sold around 100,000 units since Magnavox only sold the game system from their own stores, making consumers believe that the game system would only work on Magnavox TV sets.... [tags: Video Games]
1042 words (3 pages)
- Video Games Are Beneficial Video Games have come a long way since their first introduction into the main stream. With video games becoming more sophisticated and using advanced technology, it seems as if video games are closing in on the gap between games and reality. However, as video games become ever so life-like it brings up the question of if the violence associated with video games is having a negative consequence. There have been many accusations over the years over the harm video games are causing children and teenagers.... [tags: Video Games]
1872 words (5.3 pages)