The issue of video games and the potential aggravation of the character of youth is an ongoing argument. Video game violence has affected children and young adults both negatively and positively in recent years. Video games and their violence are often seen as responsible for desensitizing the consumers (Bartholow, Bushman, Sestir 2006), giving them a false sense of reality and incentives for aggressive and erratic behavior (Dietz, 1998). Contrarily, video and online gaming also seem to positively influence the youth using channels of release for negative energy and aggression, increasing social interaction locally and internationally and assisting in motor and perceptual skills.
Since the onset of video games, the scientific community reviewed its consequence on the behavior of children through laboratory and field experiments and correlation studies finding validating evidence to support both claims. As early as 1976 in a game named “Death Race”, the debate over video games and violence was act...
... middle of paper ...
...not rely upon the government or retailers alone to set regulations on the gaming industry and lie dormant expecting it to be the main answer to childhood aggression. The ones who have their child’s best social and psychological interests at heart are the parents. Buying their children non-violent and/or educational games promotes non-violent behavior and positive influences. Even if there are pre-existing conditions to the child 's aggressive nature after involvement with video games, discontinuing or lessening the exposure to aggressive influences balance out its impact on the behavior of the child. Without doubt, in order for our youth to interact productively with one another, we must interact productively with them. We must unify in efforts to provide safe, healthy interactive environments for them – even in the increasingly advanced virtual/technological world.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Imagine this you’re a parent reading quietly in a room, then you hear shouting and stop coming from your child’s room. You normally well behaved child is screaming and shouting after losing a games in call of duty, and you are wondering why he is acting like this. What you might not realize is that it could be the violent video game affecting his behavior. The effects of violent video games in youth have devastating effects on them. These effects can range from violent behavior to acting out in school, and even possibly maybe even crime.... [tags: Video Games, Violence, Negative Effects]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- Video Game Violence Has a Negative Effect on Today's Youth One of the main causes that make individuals more violent in real life is playing video games. Most violent video games show violence as a positive thing not a negative one. When aggression occurs in a video game, the player is not punished but awarded. This shows them that violence is okay and that if they try that situation in real life, they will also be rewarded. “In a study of video games, in 98 percent of them aggression went unpunished” ( Studies have shown that children that play teen- mature rated games for least 40 minutes a day may witness over 180 incidents of aggression per day or 5400 incidents per month.... [tags: Persuasive, Argument, Video Games, Grand Theft Aut]
485 words (1.4 pages)
- There has been quite a bit of controversy concerning the real effect video games are having on teenagers. Numerous studies have been done to show both positive effects, as well as negative effects on the rising generation. Furthermore, the increased sales of smartphones and, in effect, apps or video games on your phone, have led to an increased use of games. This in turn, has raised the level of force that these video games have. However, some say this increased power video games have is good, others say they are bad.... [tags: Controversy, Gaming Industry, Video Games]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- The censoring of violent video games has been a controversial issue since the early 90’s to the present time, and has been growing more and more with the advanced graphics that have been developing each and every year. (Including the fact that people react even more to the unexplained missions that they give in video games). For the good of society violent video games should be banned. There are many positive effects to censoring violent video games, but one that has the most impact on the whole controversial issue is health.... [tags: violent video games, obesity]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- “Life is a video game. No matter how good you get, you are always zapped in the end” (“Video Game Quotes” 1). Over time researchers, psychiatrists, and parents have often wondered how damaging violent video games can be to the youth in society. This is an important matter to people with children in their personal lives or work environment. These games have become a large risk factor for aggressive behavior in children. Researchers have been saying that video games do affect adults as well; however, they have even more effect on younger brains in early development.... [tags: Impact of Violent Games]
1975 words (5.6 pages)
- The media is an important part of our lives and can be a great teacher and an excellent source of information. It also has the potential to generate both negative and positive effects. We will explore the negative effects it has on our children through television, video game, internet and music. Television has changed dramatically over the years it has went from a small black and white 12 inch to a projection size, with high definition color, and a digital video recorder on the side. The way we receive television has changed also, from an antenna on top of the house to a satellite somewhere high in the sky that gives you hundreds of channels, and just like technology has evolved, so has wha... [tags: television, shows, video games]
974 words (2.8 pages)
- Ever since the video game was invented many years ago, violent, bloody games have existed also. Some include killing zombies, shooting people, and fighting that ends in either someone dying or being hurt. The outcome remains the same, and a select few continue to live out these games throughout their daily life. These games can sometimes cause people to become angry. Although, some video games may have a negative effect on some people’s lives, other reasons such as their home life can be a factor in these people’s behavior.... [tags: child's behavior, violent games,video games]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Video Games Effect On Society The U.S. population consumes violence media voraciously. Youths between the ages of 8 and 18 spend more than 40 hours per week using some type of media, not counting school or homework assignments (Rideout et al.). Television is the most common source of violent media, but electronic video games are rapidly growing in popularity. Numerous studies have shown that video games, especially ones with violent content, make teens more aggressive. Part of the increase in aggressive behavior is linked to the amount of time children are allowed to play video games.... [tags: video games, teens, entertaintment]
1495 words (4.3 pages)
- Video games, once regarded as a preserve of teenage boys, are now considered as an entertainment on a par with movies and music. Even though the video game industry has only a short history since the early 1970s, it is obvious that they account for a large part of a person’s leisure time. Since video games might have a violence and isolation from society, the media and some experts occasionally condemn the adverse effect of video games. One of the detrimental effects of video games is that academic performance of students may decline due to playing video games.... [tags: Video game, Video game genres]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- Many young children and teenagers have heard their mother’s incessant plead to get away from the screen and to go outside or pick up a book for once instead. The urge to play “just one more level” before starting that homework or doing those chores can be quite distracting. But are video games really as awful as Mom exclaims or as brutal as those TV ads depict. It turns out that video games can have a strong impact on participants’ lives in both positive as well as negative ways. When imagining the typical video gamer, one might envision the stereotypical overweight, slightly nerdy looking man who traps himself within his basement till two every morning leveling his character.... [tags: Video Games Pros Cons 2014]
1100 words (3.1 pages)