Many research and reviews have been done with wide differences on the conclusions. The approach to be taken in this report will be analyzing some of the methods and elements used on some of the most important research on the matter. Then discover if children and teenagers are really prone to exhibit violent behaviors in real life caused by the interaction with video games. Or if these studies’ approaches were not the best for examining video games and violence.
As mentioned above, a very popular argument against video games is that many perpetrators of mass shootings played violent videogames. Special attention was drawn towards the Sandy Hook and the Columbine High School Massacre because the culprits were avid consumers of video games as mentioned in Sternheimer (2007). More so, their parents put the blame on the videogames they played instead of the teens themselves. This kind of practice is not really uncommon, but it is disturbing that with all the facts against it, popular media, and the general population will accept that videogames were the cause of it.
Ferguson, in his 2004 s...
... middle of paper ...
...those studies, the APA released a review where they established certain measures that would reduce youth violence and other issues brought by video games.
One of the measures they proposed was to develop a content based rating systems to accurately rate video games and other media content (Apperbaum 2005). This proposal does not make much sense, given the fact that since 1994 Entertainment Software Rating Board has been doing exactly that. They have divided categories where games are labeled depending on their content.
The problem with this rating system is the parents. If sellers are found selling merchandise of mature category to a minor, they will get fined. But nothing can be done if the parents are the ones buying Grand Theft Auto V for their 7 years old child. Lamentably right now the ESBR rating system just restricts who can buy the game, not who can play it.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the last two decades, the videogame play has skyrocketed, becoming an important source of entertainment for youths and a still growing industry. Since their appearance in the media entertainment world, video games have been a source of concern to psychologists and parents all over the world. The concern comes from the argument that video games cause violent behavior on children and teenagers. I has come to the point that even famous shootings incidents; the CO Theatre shootings (2012), the Sandy Hook massacre (2012), Washington Navy Yard massacre, and others are blamed on the videogame consumption of the perpetrators as seen in Appelbaum (2015).... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- A young, blonde woman stands with her fists raised. She shifts her weight back and forth, staying in constant motion. Her jaw is set and her blue eyes dangerous. She faces her opponent with no fear. Her fellow combatant is a skilled warrior and a member of a Shirai Ryu clan. He’s spent years mastering his own special style of martial arts. The woman observes him carefully. He’s muscular and, no doubt, fast. She cannot see most of his face, as a gold and black mask obscures it, but she can see his eyes.... [tags: Video Games Don't Cause Children to be Violent]
1413 words (4 pages)
- Many People have put their attention directly on the influence violent video games have on the bad behavior of children. People believe videogames intensify aggression in children, while others say it can be a safe getaway for a child to express his aggression. Many opinions on this issue are stated still today, and they remain divided amongst the people who claim videogames to be a cause of aggression and those who claim otherwise. A child’s behavior can not be determined by violent video games, but instead is caused by a variety of environmental and domestic factors.... [tags: education, behavior, psychology]
984 words (2.8 pages)
Violent Video Games Cause Aggression in Violent Video Games Cause Aggression in Children and Should Be Regulated
- Video games have become such a huge popular form of media as they are enjoyed by every people from all age. They can be seen as indispensable sources of entertainment for kids and teenagers, serve as the relaxing and joyful time after working hard. However, why does video game become such a controversial thing and why have many scholars begun to study both the negative and positive side of video games, especially violent video games. After a long time of studying overall the controversy, many scholars say that violent video games indeed can make players have violent thinking and aggressive behavior.... [tags: Gaming]
1320 words (3.8 pages)
- Video Games do Not Cause Violent Behaviour in Children or Adolescents From the beginnings of the industry, violence in video games has been an issue of discussion. From the pixilated weaponry in 'Space Invaders' to the myriad of weapons in 'Unreal Tournament 2003,' games have evolved over the years. Newer games are more real. Their environments are more immersive. Small details such as rain drops or a falling corpse are now realistically detailed in the games we play. Because of this, some people believe that this level of realism is desensitizing our kids and making them violent.... [tags: Video Games Teen Viloence Argumentative Essays]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Ever since the video game was invented many years ago, violent, bloody games have existed also. Some include killing zombies, shooting people, and fighting that ends in either someone dying or being hurt. The outcome remains the same, and a select few continue to live out these games throughout their daily life. These games can sometimes cause people to become angry. Although, some video games may have a negative effect on some people’s lives, other reasons such as their home life can be a factor in these people’s behavior.... [tags: child's behavior, violent games,video games]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- At this day in age we bask in the luxury of having easy access to advanced technology at our disposal. From the World Wide Web, to cell phones, music, movies and video games the human race has thought of any and everything to keep us entertained. Over the years studies have shown reasonable concerns regarding the long-term effects of video games. These games can desensitize gamers to real life violence, which is usually seen in the younger crowd. The studies especially hit on the games containing player-on-player violence.... [tags: Anti Violent Video Games]
1537 words (4.4 pages)
- Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior. Because children and teenagers spend an increased amount of time each day playing video games, they are shaping their values, attitudes, and behaviors. For people who do act out aggressively, the results can be deadly. Monthly, the news is filled with blood-chilling accounts of crimes committed due to a copy-cat obsession with violent video games. This paper will present a brief review of literature and reveal the difficulties in answering this question with certainty.... [tags: Media, Violent Video Games]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- “Life is a video game. No matter how good you get, you are always zapped in the end” (“Video Game Quotes” 1). Over time researchers, psychiatrists, and parents have often wondered how damaging violent video games can be to the youth in society. This is an important matter to people with children in their personal lives or work environment. These games have become a large risk factor for aggressive behavior in children. Researchers have been saying that video games do affect adults as well; however, they have even more effect on younger brains in early development.... [tags: Impact of Violent Games]
1975 words (5.6 pages)
- Do violent video games increase aggression in the people who play them. If so then video games could be responsible for much of the bad news we hear on television. Are video games responsible for school shootings. Do producers of video games need to tone down the violence. What will happen if video games become more and more violent and realistic. On the other hand, are video games to blame at all for the increase of violence in kids. When violence in video games started to increase, people started noticing an increase in the aggression of their children as well.... [tags: Violent Video Games 2014]
3044 words (8.7 pages)
- Secondhand Clothing Can Hurt A Country 's Economy
- The Hawaii Red Cross And Its Challenge Of Effective Pr Material
- Production And Cost Concepts Of A Firm 's Total Revenue, Profit, And Total Cost
- Police Brutality Influenced By Racism
- `` Uncle Tom 's Cabin `` By Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Diet ( Nutrition ) Assessment