Folks against video games link it to increased aggression arguing that it “desensitizes kids to violence,” (Issues & Controversies 1) which lead to events like school shootings. Forbes Magazine reported that Ander Breivik, the Norwegian who shot 69 people at a youth camp in 2011, used the video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as a simulator to help him practice shooting people (Issues & Controversies 1). However, the fact-of-the-matter is that negative conclusions about video games are not reliable. This is because the researching of technology has been proven inaccurate. Christopher Ferguson, a psychology professor at Florida 's Stetson University, says that “Studies that aim to find negative effects get funded and promoted, while those with more benign findings are unpublished and forgotten” (Keilman 2). He thinks that 's because “ When a new generation of scholars more familiar with the...
... middle of paper ...
... In February of 2013, Italian researches from the University of Padua presented evidence that fast-action games can improve the reading skills of children with dyslexia. After 1 group of kids aged 7-13 played a fast-action game while the other played a low tempo game, the first group of kids read much more faster and accurately when skills were tested (Guarini 3). But these two are some of benefits of video games as it relates to one’s health. So, it’s safe to say that video games can really improve one’s health.
Video games have been in the shadow of controversy, as to wether they are bad for you or good for you. But with arguments being unreliable and that your life is significantly improved, video games can actually be good for you. The skills that you learn while playing can be taken with you in the future where they will beneficial to you and the real world.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Video games are nearly the most important activity that is being shared around the world. More than 1.2 billion people play video games around the world, but why does media always try to blame video games for causing violence in any society. Do violent video games cause child aggression, or do they lead to bad behavior. Nobody can confirm any of these statements, so is the media trying to hide the positive things that video games can provide. I believe that Video games can make a better society by helping people mentally, socially and emotionally.... [tags: Video game, Video game genres]
1237 words (3.5 pages)
- Have you ever wondered if violent video games can cause aggression in children. Thousands of children all over the world engage in violent video games for a large amount of time during their day. According to ProCon.org 60% of middle school boys and 40% of middle school girls who played at least one Mature-rated (M-rated) game hit or beat up someone, compared with 39% of boys and 14% of girls who did not play M-rated games. I will be using naturalistic and case study research methods to determine if violent video games cause aggression in children.... [tags: Video game, Game, Case study, Seventh grade]
1389 words (4 pages)
- In the article entitled “Do Violent Video Games Really Cause Aggression?” published on August 18, 2015 in Health News by Health Editors, in the second article entitled “Violent video games and young people” published on October 01, 2010 in Health Harvard, by Harvard team, in the third article entitled “Positive Effects of Video Games on Development” published on November, 2004 in personality Research by Noah J. Stupak Rochester, in the fourth article entitled “New Study: Video Games and Teens ' Behavior” published on August 04, 2014 in Dartmouth Now by John Cramer, in the fifth article entitled “Video games, social media tied to shorter sleep for teens” published on March 4, 2016 in Fox Ne... [tags: Violence, Aggression, Video game]
1433 words (4.1 pages)
Violent Video Games Cause Aggression in Violent Video Games Cause Aggression in Children and Should Be Regulated
- Video games have become such a huge popular form of media as they are enjoyed by every people from all age. They can be seen as indispensable sources of entertainment for kids and teenagers, serve as the relaxing and joyful time after working hard. However, why does video game become such a controversial thing and why have many scholars begun to study both the negative and positive side of video games, especially violent video games. After a long time of studying overall the controversy, many scholars say that violent video games indeed can make players have violent thinking and aggressive behavior.... [tags: Gaming]
1320 words (3.8 pages)
- ... The experiment involved the use of a Bobo doll. The doll is an inflatable clown that is in the shape of a punching bag. The experiment started off with several children watching the first video of an adult hitting the Bobo doll with kicks, punches, weapons, and even toy guns and the second video of an adult playing with toys while ignoring the Bobo doll. According to Kutner and Olson (2008), “Children were more likely to be violent towards the Bobo doll after seeing the acts portrayed on film by the adult.” As a result, when young kids observe violence tend to be more aggressive and hostile.... [tags: entertaintment, pyschologists]
1152 words (3.3 pages)
- Violence in Video Games Outline Topic: Supporting that violence in video games is does not cause violence in real life. Organizational Pattern: Problem-Solution General Purpose: To persuade Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that violence in video games does not affect violence in real life Primary Audience Outcome: To have the audience see that violence in video games does not correlate to real life violence Thesis Statement: Violence in video games does not affect levels of aggression in people as long as you follow the MSRB rating scale.... [tags: Video game, Aggression]
744 words (2.1 pages)
- video games containing violence like mentioned in an earlier paragraph, it would decrease the market drastically. Research towards violent video games causing violence are often flawed or inflict some bias. Ferguson expresses after his research, “Scholars have expressed concern that many past studies have relied on flawed methodology including poorly validated outcome measures, failure to control for third variables and single responder bias” (117). Variables are ignored such as competitive drive, overall wellbeing, and if they enjoy the games initially.... [tags: Violence, Aggression, Video game controversy]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Do video games cause behavior problems. Yes, video games do affect the way children behave. Video games are extremely popular all around the world, and have been taking up children 's time since they first came out. “The first video games such as ‘Space Invaders’ and ‘Pacman’ emerged in the late 1970s with simplistic graphics and a resultant low level of depicted violence” (Porter and Starcevic 422). But over time technology has advanced and so has the graphics and violence. It has advanced so much that the images on the video games have become very realistic and gruesome.... [tags: Video game, Aggression, Video game controversy]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- Introduction Through the years gaming consoles and video game graphics have evolved, including the violence depicted in these games. Modern day video games are divided by genres of role-playing, first person shooter or sandbox games that involve their various types of violence. Often these video games make people feel that they are not in reality. Somehow the game they are playing immerse them into their virtual reality. Sometimes when a person is too immersed in a game, they may take it seriously and begin to get frustrated that may lead them to become aggressive verbally and physically.... [tags: Video game, Aggression, Video game console, Game]
1463 words (4.2 pages)
- Do violent video games increase aggression in the people who play them. If so then video games could be responsible for much of the bad news we hear on television. Are video games responsible for school shootings. Do producers of video games need to tone down the violence. What will happen if video games become more and more violent and realistic. On the other hand, are video games to blame at all for the increase of violence in kids. When violence in video games started to increase, people started noticing an increase in the aggression of their children as well.... [tags: Violent Video Games 2014]
3044 words (8.7 pages)