Studies have shown that video game violence has no effect on real world violence. In fact violent crime rates have actually decreased while video game sales have more than doubled since 1996 according to New York Times. Dr. Michael Ward, an economist at the University of Texas at Arlington said “We found that higher rates of violent video game sales related to a decrease in crimes, and especially violent crimes.” "None of these extreme acts, like a school shooting, occurs because of only one risk factor; there are many factors, including feeling socially isolated, being bullied, and so on," said Iowa State University psychologist Dr. Craig A. Anderson.
Instead of the violent game itself, being bad at playing difficult games gives rise to real-world aggression. Not being able to beat a level on Tetris might cause more of a vulgar out lash than running around killing thousands of pedestrians on Call of Duty. There is something called “rage quitting”, this is when someone loses on...
... middle of paper ...
...characters were more likely to associate negative behaviors with people of color, and act more aggressively towards them afterward. Most times black characters in games are usually supporters to the main character, and they mostly are outdated stereotypes.
"Children and Video Games: Playing with Violence." Children and Video Games: Playing with Violence. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 May 2014.
"Controversial Study Says That Video Games Make You Racist." ThinkProgress RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 May 2014.
"Do Violent Video Games Boost Aggression? Study Adds Fire to Debate." Fox News. FOX News Network, 25 Mar. 2014. Web. 08 May 2014.
Guarini, Drew. "9 Ways Video Games Can Actually Be Good For You." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 07 Nov. 2013. Web. 07 May 2014.
The Independent. Independent Digital News and Media, n.d. Web. 08 May 2014
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Approximately 90% of American kids ages 8 to 16 play video games for about 13 hours a week (Harding). There are many different kinds of video games but the particular genre that is becoming more and more popular among kids is violent video games. Games like “Grand Theft Auto”, “Call of Duty”, “Hitman” and “Mortal Kombat”. Each year these games become more realistic and more violent, leading some people to believe that there is actually a link between video game violence and real life violence. For decades research has been done on this topic to see if violence in video games can cause more aggressive behaviors in players, especially younger players.... [tags: Video Game Violence]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- As we evolve into a more advanced species, so does our technology, and along with our overly advanced technology, comes video game. Video game has been around for decades and making people’s lives a lot more entertaining and less dull. However, everything is fun and games until somebody gets hurt, and that’s exactly what has happened over the years to video game. It’s commonly known nowadays that video game, to the majority, is the cause of violence. Whether if this is true or not, video game has definitely been used as a scapegoat for many mass shootings and violent outbreaks in general.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- “Breaking news tonight at 11, three students dead, several wounded after manic depressed teen lashes out with a handgun…” Americans serve witness in recent decades to this scary yet familiar occurrence. The cause of this familiar scene is minors suffering from social disorders and aggression. The major focus of blame is the entertainment industry including television, movies, books, and recently video games. The state of California decided to address the concern of video game violence by passing a law banning minors from purchasing games that are considered “violent”.... [tags: Video Game Violence]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Video Games And Violence Video games have gotten a lot of negative attention in the media as a scapegoat for what is wrong with children. Are video games really as bad as they are made out to be. Alice Park, writer of “Little By Little, Violent Video Games Make Us More Aggressive” published on time.com, believes that video games are making people more aggressive. But within her article there are many flaws with her arguments; it makes a poor attempt to blame video games for events like the columbine shooting, racism, and hostile behavior.... [tags: Violence, Aggression, Violent crime, Video game]
1399 words (4 pages)
- Since their introduction in the mid-1900s, video game violence has remained a controversial topic. Early games, such as Space Invaders and Centipede, have elicited unfavorable responses from concerned parents for the use of weapons. Modern games, such as Counter-Strike and Grand Theft Auto received similar backlash as well. Violent historical events seemingly resulting from video game violence will be analyzed in this investigation. However, The way people look at video games and how they research their ties to violent behavior and events could potentially need correction.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- Usually when a child or a teenager commits a crime, it is never their fault. When a child or a teenager commits a crime, the responsibility never belongs to the parents either. Instead, when a teenager or a child commits a crime, the first thing that the prosecutors or the media wants to place the blame on is video games, the television program that the child had been watching, or the blame is placed on the type of music that the child or teen had been previously listening to. This is what concerns me.... [tags: Video Game Violence Essays]
2937 words (8.4 pages)
- Video Games and Violence Throughout the century, video games have got a lot of attention from people of all ages and cultures. A study done by (Baran in 2012), shows that video gamer age range from the age of eight to forties. As video games started to progress more so did its fan base, products, as well as genre. Companies such as Capcom, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, and much more have paved the way to how video games are today. I remember my first Gameboy, you had to put two double A batteries to play it.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- Video game violence has no effect on teenagers becoming violent in the real world, although the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has raised lots of controversy because of the rating of recent games. The difficulty of games has more of an effect on teen’s aggression than the games’ violence itself. These days there have been many games that have caused many heads to turn due to the violent contents. But in some cases video games teach children things and raise hand eye coordination. In some cases playing violent video games help children develop problem-solving skills.... [tags: Gaming Industry, Teens, Violence, Video Games]
1441 words (4.1 pages)
- Most video games should be seen as a cause and effect for violence today. It doesn’t matter how old the person is, video games can affect people or escalate problems which can cause injury or even death. Too often gamers can become altered by the events that occur within a video game that they or a friend has played before. The perception of life and the game can become twisted and be used to hurt anyone. Children are the main concern; they can spend hours in front of a television and play. Most parents see there is nothing wrong with children enjoying video games in their free time.... [tags: Violence ]
2544 words (7.3 pages)
- Video Game Violence Concerns about the effect of media violence on children extends back at least to the beginning of the mass media, with the issue raised with reference to films, radio, television, comic books, and so on. As technology brings new types of media to the fore, the issue shifts to depictions of violence in these new media. Both popular sources and scholarly address this issue, asking in effect how violent video games change children’s behavior and make them more violent, assuming that it is believed that this is the case.... [tags: Video Games Violence]
1274 words (3.6 pages)