Figure 1 Melbourne and Victorian population growth, past, present and future (Russel,
2009, pp. 4)
As can be expected much of the state’s expansion is projected into the outer suburban areas of Melbourne due to urbanisation (Frieden and McKenzie, 2010). However, such growth does have its limitations. In particular, the “not in my backyard mentality” Australian’s possess, constrains housing development within Melbourne (Auspoll, 2007). Consequently, limited housing affects house prices, which in turn affects lower income buyers who have no alternative but to live in the outer fringes of Melbourne (ibid). This was not always the case. During the late 1970s and early 1980s counter urbanisation resulted in increased population rates throughout regional Victoria (Frieden and McKenzie, 2010). Today, the general population has declined in certain rural areas, mainly the arid farming regions (ibid). The ABS (2011) states that approximately 15% of Victoria’s local government areas, majority in rural regions had declined or had limited change in population. For the are...
... middle of paper ...
...as both can be used to describe a range of trends related to growth in the peri-urban municipalities such as tourists and permanent/semi-permanent populations (Frieden and McKenzie, 2010). Furthermore, the data collected is understood to be based on permanent resident populations. However, the seasons and times of the year affects various areas as certain regions exhibit considerable distinctions in population figures (ibid). In particular, regional areas have documented increases in semi-permanent populations and visitors (ibid). The data is not all weaknesses and limitations. The strength of the data lies in graphs. Graphs make communicating copious amounts of research simpler, illustrating trends and assists in making conclusions stronger. However one needs to be cautious of tables and graphs projections due to sudden movements and modifications (Rumming, 2012).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 10 High Profile Luxury Hotels in Lagos Lagos is a perfect blend of old and new fashioned elegance. The city features many interesting and exciting activities and places to see, a pulsating dining and night scene that reflects its culturally diverse inhabitants. Lagos is considered as one of the most bustling destinations that offer abundant choices of accommodation to locals and visitors, giving everyone a chance to experience luxury living with ease. Luxury living in Lagos is most experienced at its high profile hotel properties, which are exquisitely designed and equipped with modern amenities and indulgences suitable for a comfy and relaxing stay.... [tags: Hotel chains, Hotel, Hotels, Luxury box]
1390 words (4 pages)
- Corrections – Week 10 – Review questions 1) What is the ‘typical profile’ of the female offender. The ‘typical profile’, of a female offender is that they are likely to have a history of trauma, suffer from a mental illness and have substance abuse and alcohol issues. Further, most are illiterate and have had a long history of unemployment. It is possible they have could have been/be involved in violent relationships. They are likely to be the primary care giver for their children, but not have the support of a partner to raise her children.... [tags: Prison, Gender, Woman, Female]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- The Victorian era was the age of Queen Victoria. She was the daughter of Edward duke of Kent and inherited the throne when her uncle, William IV passed away. She reigned from 1837 until her death in 1901. Her first years as queen was tainted with social and economic chaos mainly because of the industrial development. During the midst of her reign England possessed a long period of harmony, wealth, sophistication and national confidence as a united nation. Queen Victoria gradually became more popular as a moral leader and model of family values.... [tags: Victorian era, Victoria of the United Kingdom]
1484 words (4.2 pages)
- History: Victoria’s Secret was founded by Roy Raymond because he felt deeply embarrassed going into a department store to shop for lingerie for his wife. He felt uncomfortable and felt as if the sales associates thought he looked suspicious purchasing lingerie. Because of this, Raymond opened the first Victoria’s Secret store in 1977 which would forever change the lingerie industry (Fabry). The name “Victoria’s Secret” was created because of the sensation and feel of the victorian era he wanted to afflict onto the store.... [tags: Victoria's Secret, Limited Brands, Lingerie]
2063 words (5.9 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of a wide range of Electrical Contacts for Starter and O.C.B. Carbon Brush, Brush Holder and Slip Ring Unit.// change sequencing, same as about us// Our range is acknowledged for optimum quality, efficiency and durability. We are counted as a prominent manufacturer and supplier of a comprehensive range of Electrical Contacts for Starters, O.C.B. Contacts, Carbon Brushes, Brush Holders, Slip Ring Unit and Flexible Cable. Moreover, we are also a stockist of Relay, Timers, PVC Cables, Copper Wire and Aluminum Wire.... [tags: Business Profile]
2279 words (6.5 pages)
- We are a renowned organization engaged in retailing and supplying of Audio & Visual Equipment, Sprung Back Scrappers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners. These are known for their durability, reliability and excellent performance. Owing to our experience of almost a decade in this field, we are engaged in offering our clients with a comprehensive range of LCD Projectors, Cordless Mike, Computers, Laptops and Audio Systems. Apart from these, we also provide Collar Mike, Sprung Back Scrapers and Polyurethane and Rubber Screen Decks & Liners.... [tags: Business Profile]
2230 words (6.4 pages)
- We are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our products are precisely engineered and are known for their durability and resistance against pressure and temperature. Backed by the industry experience of 17 years, we are the prominent manufacturers and suppliers of Engine Valves Seats & various types of engine application. Our range of products includes Engine Valve Seat Inserts, Ring and Header Work. The high quality valves that we manufacture are known for their resistance against extremely high temperature in the combustion chambers of four stroke engines that use natural gas, L.P.... [tags: Business Profile]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- The Young Years of Queen Victoria Victoria was born on a spring day, May 24th, 1819, at Kensington Palace, in the then quiet suburb of London. "Plumb as a partridge" was her father's description of the baby, and she certainly bore a marked resemblance to her sturdy and robust Hanoverian ancestors who had ruled Great Britain for little more than a century at the time of her birth. By 1798 Victoria's grandfather, King George III, had reigned for nearly sixty years, but he was now old and feeble.... [tags: Queen Victoria Childhood Essays]
3512 words (10 pages)
- Queen Victoria Is it Georgiana Charlotte Augusta Alexandrina Victoria or just Alexandrina Victoria. Queen Victoria was born at Kensington Palace, London on May 24, 1819. She was the only child of Edward, the fourth son of King George III, and Victoria Mary Louise, the daughter of a German Duke. It was planed that the duke and duchess were to name their daughter Georgiana Charlotte Augusta Alexandrina Victoria but Prince Regent refused to have his name (George) nor his daughters name (Charlotte Augusta) to be his god daughter’s name.... [tags: Alexandrina Victoria Royalty Essays]
1486 words (4.2 pages)
- Profile Essays Profile Essays - Grandfather, Grandpa By definition, my grandfather is handicapped. However, he doesn't act as though he is, and he certainly does not want to be treated in any special way. In fact, most of the handicapped people in society do not appreciate being treated in a way different from anyone else. They just want to be accepted as human beings. Some people become handicapped as a result of an accident. Others are born with their disabilities. My grandfather was asleep one night on a Coast Guard cutter when another ship, a destroyer, appeared in the distance.... [tags: Personal Narrative Profile]
415 words (1.2 pages)