As I read the article on social worker for victim services I thought of how amazing of an individual you would have to be to do this type of work. To work with victims of a crime whether it is domestic violence, rape or murder, these people depend on you. This career to me seemed like it could go in two different directions. Going the way of the criminal system, helping in court for the victims or going more the way of the victim services, helping the victim through the hospital visit and decision making process at that time. With the ability to do internships while still working on your degree this gives you the opportunity to intern in both fields and see which one would fit your specific interests.
On the local level you are dealing with first the victims themselves helping them with the process of the hospital visit and then the decision if to press charges. You get to know these people very well helping them to overcome these horrible tragedies that have befallen them. You are with them during the court case where they may feel vi...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Native Americans have endured the lengthiest form of genocide in modern history. While it is not this paper’s purpose to explore the traumas experienced by Native Americans via colonization and more modern policies which perpetuate Native American trauma, it is important to understand that those experiences have direct impact on these communities. Yellow Horse-Brave Heart (1999) reports that the Historical Trauma Response, which is a collection of symptoms that result in members of a group that have experienced trauma, reveals negative health outcomes that include: Increased suicide rates, mental health disorders, somatic complaints without medical merit, and obsession on trauma, guilt, and... [tags: United States]
1372 words (3.9 pages)
- Tracing the Source of Denial of Service Attacks Abstract: Denial of service attacks are becoming increasingly prevalent and serious, yet the anonymity that these attacks affords the hacker provides no means for a victim to trace the attack. The weakness of the TCP/IP protocol allows for this anonymity, yet it would be very difficult to change this protocol. Savage, Wetherall, Karlin, and Anderson present a method for tracing back the source IP address and network path of denial of service attacks.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
2010 words (5.7 pages)
- VOLUNTEERING RESPONSE PAPER I chose to write Service Works, because it’s a nationwide organization that helps young adults in developing communities to build acquired skills to prepare for college and their career paths. Service Works provides success coaches for young individuals as role models, and people that they can interact with if they have any problems, questions, or need advice regarding their career paths. Service Works is an organization that is hosted by Jersey Cares, a nonprofit organization that has been around since 1993.... [tags: Homelessness, Homeless shelter]
1045 words (3 pages)
- After rereading all of the response papers for this semester, I was surprised by how much my writing has changed. I consider Response Paper #3, which was about the interaction of sight and sound in Immortal Beloved, to be my best writing because I was able to describe my observations in an interesting way, examine the larger implications of the details in the film, and tie the ideas together to support my claims and ideas about the work. Compared to the response papers I wrote before it, Response Paper #3 was the first time I was able to think critically about the choices that artists made in the presentation of a performance and attempt to answer the question of why these details were sele... [tags: Writing, Critical thinking, Paper, Opera]
710 words (2 pages)
- According to RAINN, (2009) approximately 10 per cent of all victims of sexual assault and abuse are adult and juvenile males. In terms of the nature of assault, real figures include a compendium of reported incidents ranging from unwanted sexual touching to forced penetration. To qualify this statement, it must be understood that the percentage does not reflect a vast number of crimes that go unreported due to issues that will be discussed in the present paper. Sexual assault is an under-reported crime.... [tags: Sexual Assault, Male Victims]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- “What happened in Samar - Leyte is not a game. There are no two sides but the whole of humanity. There are no winners and losers, we all either win or lose in the future we make for ourselves.” (Yeb Sano). On November 8, 2013, Super Typhoon Yolanda, also known as Haiyan is considered as one of the strongest tropical storms ever (World Vision, 2013), hit the Philippines, particularly Tacloban, Leyte and parts of Samar. It is the deadliest Philippine typhoon on record and also the strongest storm recorded at landfall.... [tags: NGO, Service]
583 words (1.7 pages)
- Response Paper 2 In the first presidential debate the two candidates used an ideograph in attempts to connect with a certain population. The ideograph that they used were use were “Latino” and “Hispanic.” Each of these ideographs has its own history. The ideographs are problematic because of their horizontal pull. The debate where the terms were said was focused on the major challenges that the future president would face. This specific section of the debate was about how the President would deal with police brutality against the black community.... [tags: United States]
828 words (2.4 pages)
- Response to intervention (RTI) is an assessment procedure that consists of a multi-step approach to progressively intensive intervention and monitoring within general education for purposes of improving achievement outcomes and accurately recognizing students with learning disabilities. Components of the RTI process include universal screening, multi-tiered levels of support, evidence-based intervention, and using students' responsiveness to evaluate the status of their progress (Jenkins, Schiller, Blackorby, Thayer, & Tilly, 2013).... [tags: multi-step approach, learning disabilities]
2034 words (5.8 pages)
- Anger in The Victims In The Victims, by Sharon Olds, the author reveals the dark side of a society where divorce is prevalent, some family members find it hard to cope with. In the first half of “The Victims”, it sounds like a young child is telling the experience regarding her parents’ divorce. The speaker expresses anger toward the father. “When mother divorced you, we were glad.” (Line 1) The “we” is probably several children and their mother. It appears they all experienced an unpleasant life with their father.... [tags: Victims]
599 words (1.7 pages)
- A typical school day for many University students consists of sitting in a classroom and listening to a lecture. While there is great value in this style of learning, my community service work has taught me the many benefits of learning not only from professors, but also from fellow classmates, partners in the community, and individuals at volunteer sites, regardless of their age or educational background. It has also taught me to be an active member of our community and to share the burdens and responsibilities that goes along with that role — caring about the living conditions of others.... [tags: Community Service Experience Paper]
359 words (1 pages)