In todays world hacking is extending and for those that hack use it for economic benefits and to steal identities. With the recent hacking that compromised NNN MN around Christmas time the hackers were using malicious software to make credit card purchases once a customers used their cards in store. The company received signals of fraudulent activity months before but didn’t take actions necessary at the time since it wasn’t for sure. The retailer mentioned how many customers were affected, “More than 1.1 million customers were affected in the recent hack of high-end retailer Neiman Marcus, the company has finally revealed (Wired).” The number of people affected was high although it was just unauthorized credit card purchases without identity theft being compromised.
Another concern was that the retailer saw glitches in the system and actions were not taken immediately. According to the report “Among the revelations: The company apparently missed 60,000 security alerts about the hack (AJC).” The company responded with “Neiman Marcus’s system could have been set to automatically block the malware as soon as it detected anomalous activity...
... middle of paper ...
...ourse by communicating to the public and apologizing because it shows its concern towards its customers that had been affected.
Hacking is something that can hit anyone; hackers are just waiting for the right time and place. It is something to be concern and has affected a vast majority of people. The problem escalates to affect everyone in general from retailer, customers, and banks. All this hacking that has occurred within a year including the Target Hacking that was even bigger have established the ideology of just how secured is our information when we make purchases. Its only within a swipe that we can become victims of fraud. Retailers should take necessary steps to be more precautious and alert customers as soon as a problem arises. Failure to communicate within the company is essential just as it is to communicate customers of possible hacking.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Multi-platform computer worms are a tool that computer hackers use to infect computers to gain control access. Computer worms are a dangerous virus because they are self-replicating, meaning that they multiply themselves and spread onto other computer networks seeking a lapse in internet security. Computer worms do not need to attach themselves onto an existing computer program to gain access to the victim computer files. The computer worm was created on accident by a Cornell student named Robert Morris; he was seeking a way of managing the internet in 1988.... [tags: Computer Hackers]
1873 words (5.4 pages)
- The Escalation of Computer Hacking Crimes The advancement of computer technology makes the world easier place to live by facilitating the fields of science, medicine, and education. Although computers benefit us from many aspects, they also have negative implications. Many criminals use the computer to take or alter data, and to gain unlawful access of computers, by using computer worms, viruses, and Trojans. Which has posed new challenges for the government and the society. Due to the versatility of the computer, drawing lines between criminal and non-criminal behavior regarding its use can be difficult.... [tags: Computer, Personal computer, Malware]
1504 words (4.3 pages)
- Abstract Society relies heavily on technology for many things, but our use of technology opens us up to become victims of cybercrimes, like computer hacking. Hackers can be divided into three main categories: novice, intermediate, and elite. Hacking has been in the information technology (IT) field for a while. The first hackers appeared in the nineteen sixties and hackers have continued to make progress since then. People hack for a variety of reasons including ego, fun, knowledge, and profit. The first major hacking program, SATAN, caused controversy in 1995, and numerous hacking programs exist today.... [tags: Computer Network Security hacking]
1857 words (5.3 pages)
- Hacker only has 50 years history, computer hacker crime is one of the mots dangerous crime threat at 21th century. Hacktivism is a new class of hacker has emerged, “the so-called hacktivist, who engages in hacking of computer networks and systems as a form of protest”(Hargrave,2012). Hacker crimes have use computer programming skill to make errors on your computer that control your computer to get information and change your computer system. Since in 1970s, computer hackers are called “phreaks”, which mean by phone hacker.... [tags: Computer, Computing, Computer programming, Hacker]
1189 words (3.4 pages)
- The documentary Rise of the Hackers, focuses on the rising criminal use of hacking and how it is effecting multiple areas of technology. The documentary describes simple and complicated situations concerning hacking, but there still questions that must be answered when it comes to hacking and crime. The main question is in trying to determine why a person would choose to commit computer hacking. There are various theories already present within the criminal justice system that may explain at a micro-level and macro-level.... [tags: Crime, Criminology, Criminal justice, Police]
1336 words (3.8 pages)
- computer, ranging from child pornography to data interception and theft. An investigator needs to ensure that the appropriate tools are utilized (US-Cert, 2008). There are several reasons as to why the appropriate tools must be utilized by investigators. Some of these reasons involve the deletion, damaging, or encryption of files. To prevent further damages as they seek to recover these files, the investigator must be knowledgeable of the array of methods and software available. There are two essential types data collected in computer forensics and the bulk of this exploratory research was devoted to data, cybersecurity, and cybercrimes as it relates to computer forensics and digital data.... [tags: Computer security, Information security, Security]
854 words (2.4 pages)
- Nowadays, people often use computers to store various personal data, and valuable data on the business of the company and others. Every computer should have security to protect all important data from computer security risk, such as attacks from hackers, crackers and also cyber terrorisms. A computer security risk is any event or action that could cause a loss or damage to computer hardware, software, data, or information. The intruders acted intentionally or accidentally. Some intruders breach the computer security by accessing data without modifying the data and some of them access, modify and sometimes delete the data.... [tags: Computer, Crime, Hacking]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- The internet has brought pleasures and benefits to our lives since it was invented. Although this fact is true, Internet permits strangers “called hackers” to spy, hack and enter our private world in networks. According to Network world, one website was hacked every five seconds. Hacking is a taboo operation by stealthily accessing. During hacking, the hackers steal user’s data and their money. Also, they may destroy their computer or their important projects, and they build strong link between their computer and user’s computer to enter on it whenever they want to.... [tags: privacy, networks, strangers]
574 words (1.6 pages)
- ... There are four main types of cyber-criminals. The first type is children and adolescents between the ages of 6 and 18. This group is believed to commit cyber-crimes because of their need to explore things. Also they think this will make them look more advanced when compared to other children of the same age (Dashora 244). The second group of cyber criminals have earned the name “organized hackers.” They are groups formed with the main purpose being to accomplish a common goal. The common goal is usually pushing their own political bias.... [tags: social networking, corruption, victims]
1350 words (3.9 pages)
- Cyber warfare, the use of computers to fight in cyberspace, is both effective in playing offense and defense in a modern day war. “Cyber war uses computer software to attack an enemy’s computer systems” (Smith). In today’s world, there is cyber warfare all over the place, you just cannot see it. Cyber warfare takes place in the ‘cyber realm’ also known as the internet. The people that take part in the online “war” are the hackers, and their victims. The hackers can take control of their victim’s computer in a variety of different ways.... [tags: hackers, security breaches, cyberterrorism]
1318 words (3.8 pages)