There are varieties of vegetarians, which is separated by what kinds of meats and byproducts has been removed in their diet. This means that there are different categories of vegetarianism not just the stereotypical “all they eat is grass”, some vegetarian still consume meat. For example, pollotarian and pescetarian are a types of vegetarians who still eat meat that cam from fish and chicken, but doesn’t eat red meat. Red meat originates from pork, beef, lamb, and goat. Moreover, pollotarian consume white meat, like chicken and turkey, but fish and red meat is eliminated in their diet. Pescetarian, pesce originates from Italy and it means fish, can consume fish and seafood but not white and red meat. The other types of the vegetarian diet are lacto-vegetarian, ovo-vegetarian, and ovo-lacto vegetarian. First of all, lacto-vegetarias are able to consume dairy products, however they do not eat meat or its by-products. By-products are manufactured products that derived from animals. On the contrary, ova-vegetarians do not consume any meat, by-products, or dairy but can eat eggs. Moreover, the lacto-ovo vegetarian diet is a combination of the ovo-vegetarian and lacto-vegetarian, this type of do not ingest meat but will consume their by-products, eggs, and dairy. Lastly, the most prominent type of vegetarianism is the vegan diet. Vegans have eliminated any animals and animal products completely in their diet and lifestyle. Therefore, they do not eat any type of meat, consume dairy products, or wear...
... middle of paper ...
... like tofu and tempeh that are able to replace meat. These meat substitutes are made from soybeans that has been fermented and pressed together. Along the same lines, consuming beans is a great source of protein. Protein helps create body tissues, muscles and skin, and it can be used as energy, however it’s not the primary source of energy. In addition, vegetarians can get their calcium from green vegetables like kale and broccoli, which can help prevent the wearing of the bones. Lastly, these nutrients can be bought in stores in a form of a supplement. Most vegetarians lack B-12, which is needed for red blood cells to become and stay healthy, so vegetarians purchase these supplements and they do not have to worry about their well being. To conclude, vegetarians do not need meat in order to survive because there are substitutions and supplements available everywhere.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction: Jessica is a 23 year old woman who recently graduated from college and started a vegetarian diet because of the health benefits she heard read it. Jessica read that “Vegetarian diets are often associated with a number of health advantages, including lower blood cholesterol levels, lower risk of heart disease, lower blood pressure levels, and lower risk of hypertension and type 2 diabetes.” (American Dietetic Association) She was going strong on her new diet for a few months, but upon her trip to her doctor’s office for her regular check up her doctor showed more concern about her diet than admiration for trying to live a healthier life.... [tags: Nutrition, Amino acid, Protein]
891 words (2.5 pages)
- In recent years, dietary restrictions such as vegetarianism and veganism have become very popular lifestyle choices. One of the reasons many people chose to switch to a vegetarian diet is because they believe that it’s a healthier choice from a nutritional perspective. For the last few years nutritionists and health specialists have been saying that meat, eggs and animal fats are bad for us, and that we’ll live longer and healthier if we decrease our consumption or avoid them. This idea has been strongly reinforced into our society that few people even question it anymore.... [tags: Nutrition, Meat, Veganism, Diet]
1445 words (4.1 pages)
- The Benefits Of Vegetarian and Vegan Diets Lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension, type two diabetes, diverticulosis, renal disease, and cancers are some of the few health conditions that people in the world face today. But what if individuals would change to a different diet to prevent disease and illnesses. Vegetarian, lacto-ovo-vegetarian, ovo-vegetarian, and vegan are some of the many types of diets people can choose from today that can lower the risks for diseases and illnesses such as the ones listed above.... [tags: health, nutrition]
1533 words (4.4 pages)
- Are Vegetarian Diets Adequate for Children. In 2012, the United States Department of Agriculture estimated that about 5% of Americans do not consume any meat products. Those who are meat eaters argue that meat is essential to human health, while non-meat eaters argue that it is not because the necessary nutrients in meat could be consumed in non-animal products. This brings us to the issue of the adequacy of vegetarian diets for children. This is an issue that’s rising because many argue that because children are still in the growing process, it is important for them to consume meat because it has the essential nutrients for development.... [tags: Deficiency, Iron]
1061 words (3 pages)
- If after long consideration you have decided that to start living a healthy lifestyle, then we should consider the 2 most effective ways to do this: exercise and diet. Veganism and vegetarian diets have now become more popular among people. These types of diets are helpful for maintaining better health. Exercise is usually used for better physical and mental health, and weight control. Through out this 2 types of lifestyles we are able to achieve a healthier life style in a different approach. A vegetarian diet is common among people with health problems, religious beliefs, and animal concerns.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Vegetarianism, Veganism]
1129 words (3.2 pages)
- Introduction Chickpea, Cicer arietinum L., serve as one of the important source of nutrients in vegetarian diets especially in developing countries as it is one of the richest source of proteins (20-30%), carbohydrates (~40% ) and minerals (Jukanti et al. 2012,). However, its productivity is severely affected by various abiotic stresses such as drought, heat, salinity etc ( Ruelland et al. 2002). Among these, terminal drought is one of the serious problems in chickpea as it is largely cultivated on residual soil moisture in the arid and semi-arid regions of South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.... [tags: Genetics, Gene, DNA, Genome]
2193 words (6.3 pages)
- In contemporary society, Vegan diets have become prolific, especially among youths and adolescent females. Unlike Vegetarians who do not eat meat (the flesh of animals), Vegans do not consume any food sources of animal origin e.g. milk, butter. Many vegans also refrain from using animal products such as wool and leather. The reasons for these nutritional preferences can include, environmental issues, ethical issues on the treatment of animals, the health benefits of a Vegan diet, and the fear of animal-borne diseases.... [tags: contemporary society, animal origins]
2195 words (6.3 pages)
- Growing up in India, I have heard much about vegan diets. Many people take on vegetarian diets due to religious beliefs, personal interest, ethical issues, and many other reasons. So what exactly is a vegetarian diet. Is it better for the body. Vegetarian diets can provide the necessary nutrients; as well, as reduce the likelihood of chronic diseases caused by unhealthful diet; however, if the food intake is not closely monitored it can lead to deficiencies. Then the question becomes, if vegetarian diets are better, then why exactly do we need meat products in our diet.... [tags: Healthy Lifestyle Essay]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- Vegetarians have diets as safe and nutritious as non-vegetarian diets. Whether someone chooses a vegetarian diet to preserve animal rights or to improve his health, his diet can be planned and maintained. Every vegetarian diet is different from another, but as long as a vegetarian learns what foods to include in his diet, he can meet all his nutritional needs contrary to common misconceptions. With careful planning, a vegetarian diet can provide all the nutrients a human body needs. First of all, to study vegetarianism everyone must have a basic understanding of the different types of vegetarians.... [tags: Health Nutrition Pyramid Diet]
2991 words (8.5 pages)
- Vegetarian Diets Modern Western society has placed an emphasis on "healthy living." A well-balanced diet, exercise and healthy lifestyle habits; such as not smoking, moderate alcohol use, and preventive health care, are all very important to physical well-being. In their quest for a longer life and increased happiness, Americans have made great strides towards an healthier lifestyle and, in particular, an improved diet. Many individuals have attempted to lower fat intake and decrease excess calorie consumption.... [tags: Healthy Lifestyle Essay]
2879 words (8.2 pages)
- Being A Sophomore Student As California State University Fullerton
- The Debt Trap By Gretchen Morgenson
- Corporate Social Responsibility : Harvey Norman Holding Limited
- War, By Katey Schultz, The Two Stories, Deuce Out, And Aaseya And Rahim
- How Children Succeed By Paul Tough
- Relationship Between Juanita, The Sales Manager And The New Employee