University of Washington is a school that provides a lot of resources so I decided to reach out to UW Society of Women Engineers and the UW Career Center website which have both led me to endless opportunities. One of the officers in SWE who is currently studying and doing a reasearch in the Materials Science & Engineering department at UW povided me a long list of names of professionals that I can talk to at UW. At the same time, the UW Career Corner Stone guided me to multiple websites of professional societies that focus on Material Science such as the Materials Research Society, American Ceramic Society and American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers. I started by browsing through all the websites and emailed a couple of them to which one responded by connecting me to its member who is currently living in Seattle.
Karin Anderson is a University of Washington graduate class of ’89 and ’96 who graduated with mechanical engineering degree and masters. Having a first hand experience being in the engineering deparment at UW, I knew right away that Karin would have great advices and insights for me. It was enthralling to learn that the engineering department was just as competitive 30 years ago.
Even though she did not earn a degree in Materials Science, she told me that Materials was one of the biggest areas taught in mechanical engineering. A mechanical engineer learns a little bit of what every other type of engineering does and that opened up a lot of doors for her to work in various field.
A couple of weeks upon graduating, she received a job offer from Boeing to work as a design engineer working with materials that make up different parts of airplanes. A few years into the job, her team in Boeing...
... middle of paper ...
...iked being in the technical department better and she clarified that she has no regrets in life. Karin also explained that she would choose quality of life over money any time and living by that has helped her a lot in life.
Karin is a laid-back woman and I am beyond grateful that she is very open and willing to share her personal stories with me. I gained a lot more than I expected to from the meetup. Before this interview, I expected to be told the specific directions to go to succeed in this field, and although she did give me useful tips to thrive as an engineer, she taught me a more important lesson, that is to keep exploring. One thing I learned from our meeting is that I could try to plan out my whole life, but sometimes it may not turn out exactly as how I want it to be which is why I have to be open to the possibilities that I may end up in different path.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many diverse experiences have helped to shape my professional marketing career. These positions range from promoting Broadway shows, to marketing at the global children's entertainment brand Pokémon, and managing a girl’s brand called My Princess Academy. While my professional experiences have provided me with a strong real world foundation, I feel that in order to pursue my goal of managing a major entertainment brand, I require the knowledge and training afforded by an MBA program. I am confident that my professional experiences coupled with an MBA will help me achieve a vibrant career in marketing management.... [tags: Marketing, Career,]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- Alaska is a unique spectacular state situated in the United States of America. And it is considered as the largest state spreading widely around 586,412 square miles though most of the landscapes are uninhabited. The magnificent state is bordered in the east with Canada, west and south with Pacific Ocean, and on west Russia. Economy of this metropolitan state is dominated with fishing industries, oil and natural gases resources which are explored in abundance. There are vast career opportunities available in the fascinating state especially distribution center jobs.... [tags: company, fishing industry, warehouse]
541 words (1.5 pages)
- A colleges academic message can be identified by looking at a school’s website. When I typed in Georgia Southern on google and pressed their webpage, I was impressed. The first thing that drew my attention was the picture on the main page. It was a picture of four big brick buildings, under a perfect blue sky surrounded by green pine trees. As I explored more of the website, I saw on the right side there was a blue line that had the words helpful links written inside in white. Grazing down the list, I noticed there was a link for Georgia Southern’s mission.... [tags: Education, University, Student, College]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- Historically, the nursing field is one that has consistent positive job outlooks, as there is typically a continued shortage. Healthcare is the backbone of most communities, not just for its services, but also for the jobs it provides and the economy stimulation. Jill Bernstein, author for “Changes in Health Care Financing and Organization” states, “The health care industry is a critical component of the national, and most regional and local economies of the United States” (4). The nursing field has suffered challenges due to the economic, social, and the political downturn of the U.S.... [tags: Nursing Profession, Nursing Career]
1659 words (4.7 pages)
- Welcome to the Plainville High School website. The Plainville High School Administration, Faculty and Staff are very proud of the educational opportunities available to all students. Plainville High School is a fully accredited secondary school that provides an exceptional learning environment for our students. We continue to develop and grow in leaps and bounds as a learning community aligned with the district focus on Students, Teaching and Learning as we strive to fulfill our PHS Vision: Prepare all students for a successful and rewarding life in the 21st century global society.... [tags: High school, College, Education, Secondary school]
1293 words (3.7 pages)
- Common Core is a highly debated movement that has replaced No Child Left Behind. According to the Common Core State Initiative website (2015), a set of standards was developed by “The nation 's governors and education commissioners, through their representative organizations, the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), led the development of the Common Core State Standards and continue to lead the initiative. Teachers, parents, school administrators, and experts from across the country, together with state leaders, provided input into the development of the standards.” After much misinformation, misunderstanding... [tags: Education, School, Teacher, United States]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- The Massachusetts Life Sciences Center (MLSC) is a state-funded agency that functions as the state’s investment arm in life sciences. The organization supports life sciences innovation, research, development and commercialization through a comprehensive set of incentives and funding programs. The MLSC’s business goal is to attract and retain life sciences companies in Massachusetts and establish the state as a hub for Life Sciences and Biotechnology companies. These goals, when attained, not only benefit the state with incremental business tax dollars, but propel growth in the state by creating jobs, driving economic development and accelerating the commercialization of promising treatments... [tags: Social media, Twitter, Mass media, Massachusetts]
1384 words (4 pages)
- Since 1917, women have had the right to serve in the military, but now in 2016 many of the women that serve still do not receive the same rights as the men they fight alongside. The National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) is a big advocate in raising awareness about the treatment of women in the military. On their website they address some of the main issues which include family support, sexual harassment, and combat assignments. Many of the images on their website help relay their message to the people viewing their website.... [tags: Rhetoric, Woman, Appeal, Emotion]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Capitalizing on Your Career Isaiah Shaw Professor Thomas CIS 2010 10-25-2016 CAPITALIZING ON YOUR CAREER 2 Marketing plays a tremendous role in our society in many ways. Many businesses or companies that try to reach many consumers on a daily basis take the marketing aspect of their company very seriously. Those companies can possibly be marketing a service they provide or even marketing a particular product they sell. Perhaps a new CAPITALIZING ON YOUR CAREER 3 iPhone is going to be released, or a brand new movie is being released, or a brand new car is being introduced to the public, all of these require some sort of strong marketing in order to con... [tags: Customer relationship management, Marketing]
1991 words (5.7 pages)
- Pediatrician The Story of My Search Babies and children crying may irritate most people, but for me, it makes me want to nurture them. Pediatricians go through many years of schooling and residency training to obtain their degrees in pediatrics which is a branch of medicine that deals with the development, care, and treatment for diseases in babies and children. After doing many years of schooling and training, this ensures that each pediatrician is successful in providing the proper care and treatment needed for babies in order for them to develop into healthy children.... [tags: Medicine, Physician, Medical school]
1196 words (3.4 pages)