During the subsequent lab session, protein samples are loaded and ran on a Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE). After the gel is done, it was stained with a f...
... middle of paper ...
...t viability can be calculated.1
Part I: Baculovirus/Insect Cell Expressed tRNase Z affinity purification-
During this procedure, I hypothesize that everyone in the class, for the most part, would efficiently elute the 6XHis Tagged proteins using the Qiagen spin column by using the proper buffers.
Part II: Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis-
During this procedure, I hypothesize that if the preceding steps were done correctly the SDS gel would be able to show if the affinity purification worked properly and also show the relative size of the proteins.
Part III: Measuring Viable Cell Density Using a Hemocytometer-
During this procedure, I hypothesize that the cells that are dying would turn blue in color and cells that are healthy would be transparent. Thus, the cell viability could be calculated as well as the percent viability.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Here at Soap-n-Suds we are currently using the Windows Xp operating system, which came out in 2001 and has now been unsupported as of April 8, 2014. We are currently deciding on what operating system will be best for our business to run more efficiently so we can keep our customers coming back. The windows operating system that we are currently planning to have is windows 10, which came out on July 29 of this year. Still we are not planning on upgrading our computers right away, before doing that we would like to figure out what will be needed.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Macintosh]
1393 words (4 pages)
- The Aggressive Behavior Index (αs = 0.85 to 0.89, current α = 0.87) assesses the frequency (0 to 5+ with 5+ being treated as a 5 in analyses) that the person reported engaging in each of 13 aggressive behaviors while driving in the last 3 months (e.g., yelling at another driver or cutting a driver off in anger). The Risky Behavior Index (αs = 0.83 to 0.86, current α = 0.86) involves reports of the frequency (0 to 5+) with which the person engaged in 15 risky behaviors while driving in the last 3 months (e.g., drinking and driving, driving without a seat belt, or speeding 20 or more mph over the limit).... [tags: behavior, agressive, validity, expression]
4065 words (11.6 pages)
- 3.1 CUMS increased anxiety- and depression-related behaviour Mice display distinct behavioural changes, suggesting an anxiety or depression response after exposure to chronic stress. Therefore, the behavioural response of control and CUMS mice in an anxiogenic environment was investigated using EPM and OFT and were compared with control mice. In EPM test, CUMS mice exhibited a significant (P<0.05; Student’s t test) reduction in both percentage time in open-arm (Control: 21.6 + 3.1%, n=10; CUMS: 12.2 + 3.3%, n=10; Fig.... [tags: neuroscience research using mice]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- Have you ever wanted to know what someone was thinking or feeling in a given moment. Perhaps someone has, to all appearances, been feeling one way, but for some unexplainable reason you felt they were actually experiencing another emotion. It is possible that your subconscious was picking up on subtle clues in the other person’s face, manner of speaking, or posture that gave away their true reaction to the situation (“Gut Feelings”). To most people, these feelings are only vague hunches that are often dismissed, but to people who have honed their instincts and have learned to interpret these visual signals for what they are, other people’s true emotions become clearer.... [tags: body language, facial expressions]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- PCR 5 I believe that given the time period and they was that women were treated during it, it does support a strong and relatively independent women. On the other hand, by our standards today, the way women are treated in this text would be considered very traditional and even wrong by many modern beliefs. To me, this story felt like the crude beginning of modern woman rights, such as when all the woman gathered in a room and discussed their jealousy and dread to one another. Also, in the “red light” district, females were permitted to own and operate their own stores however, nothing can down play the fact that sex during this era did not seem to be always has the consent of both parties... [tags: Woman, Female, Marriage, Sex]
711 words (2 pages)
Describe How a Gene Encoding a Therapeutic Protein Could Be Cloned into a Vector to Allow Expression
- A vector is a recombinant DNA carrier, all types have three generic properties; introduction to the host cell can be accomplished easily, each vector contains a replication origin enabling it to reproduce inside the cell and in order to determine which cells contain the vector a simple assay can be carried out, such as, growing the cells on agar plates. At present, there are many different types of vectors available for use the best expression system depends on the gene involved (Hartl, 2011). Examples of vectors include; Plasmids, Bacteriophages, Artificial chromosomes, bacteria, cell free systems and viruses (Klug et al., 2003).... [tags: Vector CLoning, Allow Expression, Recombinant]
1636 words (4.7 pages)
- Telomerase is the enzyme that maintains and prevents shortening of the protective telomeres at the ends of chromosomes. Without it, cells eventually enter replicative senescence (cell cycle arrest) as a result of telomere shortening from a lifetime of cell divisions. Due to the high expression of telomerase in invasive cancers, it makes for an attractive target for cancer therapy. In the quest for safer and more effective cancer therapies, researchers have explored many methods of targeting telomerase in cancer cells as a way to induce senescence or apoptosis (cellular death) including direct inhibition of telomerase, telomere disruption, telomerase-specific immunotherapy, and telomerase-sp... [tags: DNA, DNA replication, Gene expression, Telomere]
1583 words (4.5 pages)
- 1) Pretend you are a famous scientist with expertise in understanding why only one sperm usually fertilizes one egg. After attending a conference, you become excited to study the physical interactions between sperm and egg to understand why some couples cannot successfully conceive, despite having no obvious problems with fertility (the male’s sperm is ok and the female’s egg is ok). For each model organism we will discuss for this course, give one reason for why it would be useful to use that organism and one reason for why it would not be useful to use that organism.... [tags: Gene, DNA, Gene expression, Cell]
1596 words (4.6 pages)
- hours later, mice were tested for contextual fear conditioning by placing them back into the chambers for five minutes. Percent of time spent freezing (immobility except for breathing) was recorded in both training and testing session. After recovery from surgery and three days before the contextual fear conditioning, animals received 3 days of acclimation to transport from their home cages to the procedure rooms. During this period of time, the mice were also acclimated to the injection procedure performing dummy cannulae removal and infusers placement using infusion needles (Plastics One) shorter than the guide cannula, to the box where they would be placed during the injection and to the... [tags: DNA, Gene, Transcription, Gene expression]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- Process costing System is an accounting expression which describes one method to determine the manufacturing costs to the units manufactured . Processing is typically used when similar units are mass produced. Also process costing system is a type of accounting process costing which is used to determine the cost of a produced inventory. Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) defines process costing as " The costing method applicable where goods or services result from a sequence of continuous or repetitive operations or processes.... [tags: manufacturing cost, units, accounting expression]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- Analysis Of Guy Vanderhaeghe 's ' The Old 's Boy '
- Women 's Portrayal Of Women And Sovereign Issues Within Shakespeare 's Macbeth And Hamlet
- The Discovery Of Venus : Earth 's Sky
- Political Climate Of Environmental Injustice
- Should The Death Penalty Be Abolished?
- The Cambodian Killing Fields Should Never Be Forgotten