Mobile phone use in motor vehicles has increased at a remarkable rate over the past 15 years. Yet it is undeniable that utilizing a cell phone while driving can affect driver performance as it relates to the overall safe operation of a vehicle. There are a number of things to consider in deciding whether the trade off in convenience is worth the potential risks associated with the distraction created by a cell phone.
Given the fact that the individual driver (and/or business owner) ultimately pays for the resulting consequences associated with an auto or truck accident (financial, emotional and physical lose); it is prudent to seek out relevant and reliable information in making a decision. In doing so, consider the source, as well as the possible motivation behind the information provider.
Source: US Legislation
In the United States, there are currently no federal laws prohibiting driving while using a cell phone. In an earnest attempt to find a solution, some states (New Jersey, New York, the District of Columbia, Connecticut and pending in California) have passed laws barring hand-held cell phone use while driving. Typical fines range from $50 to $100 for drivers caught using a hand-held device. While these lawmakers have the public's best interest at heart by levying fines, not all entities weighing in on this subject are likely to have the same incentive.
Source: Manufacturer Research
As the result of an independent study (found on their web site in the form of a press release), Plantronics, a manufacturer of headsets states, "71% of drivers steer more accurately when using a headset with a mobile phone". They point out that the study was to discover if a person using a mobile phone improves driving if he ...
... middle of paper ...
...ifications for the careless operation of an employee-owned or company-supplied vehicle before deciding to ignore the inherent danger created by a major cognitive distraction such as a cell phone.
Obviously, there are no easy or certain solutions without sacrifice of convenience. Remember that the benefit of having a cell phone (emergency use and times when you are not operating a vehicle) is not lost just because it remains off while driving. If you consider the facts presented by relevant and reliable sources, it really is not a matter of a trade off after all, but an opportunity to prevent an accident or possibly a fatality. In the mean time, until it is proven otherwise, think about instigating a life saving strategy NOW for the safe use of cell phones - limit yourself, loved ones and employees to use (personal and business) only when the vehicle is in park!
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Cell Phones While Driving People are distracted enough as it is without have their cell phones attached to their ears while driving. The topic of using a cell phone while driving has been debated for many years, because there are two types of people with two different opinions. On one hand people have things that require their attention at all times, and on the other people cannot give their full attention to the road and fellow motorists if they are using their cell phone while driving. First of all, there are times when a person is driving and an important matter may require their attention.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Automobile, Police]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- Using cell phones while driving is far from safe. There are many people who were injured from using their cell phones while driving. So many people have even died from using their cell phones while driving. Using cell phones while driving should be illegal. Banning cell phones while driving will make the road a much safe place. Using your cell phone while driving can put yourself in danger, other drivers in danger, and also pedestrians in danger. The first thing that I am going to talk about is the type of distractions that can occur while being behind the wheel.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Lisa Lopes]
2137 words (6.1 pages)
- Dangers of Texting and Using Cell Phones While Driving The use of cell phones while driving has become more popular among drivers over the past ten years. Furthermore, Kiernan Hopkins states, People who text while driving tend to stray from their lanes into other lanes, other cars and even off the road altogether (paragraph 4): thus creating a danger to all who drive. Think about how often you see vehicles driving really slow on the freeways as you pass them you see them looking at their phone not paying attention to the road.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Automobile]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- Drivers are growing progressively confident in their ability to multitask while driving, especially when using a cellular device. The experimenters studied the dual-task of cell phone conversation effects on the individual while performing stimulated driving experiences. The researchers directed their main focus towards the conversation on the phone while the subjects were driving. They sought to discover what kind of interference they offered and where the distraction rooted. The results of each individual were recorded and compared to each other in order to discover any type of relationship or pattern.... [tags: Mobile phone, Cellular network, Bluetooth]
1334 words (3.8 pages)
- Dangers of Using Cell Phones While Driving Introduction Today, many use their cell phones for just about anything and everything including; texting, talking, and connecting with the rest of the world through social media. Cell phones have become a natural way of life to where Americans pick up their phones and use them like second nature. However, the dangers present themselves when many get behind the wheel of their cars and carry the habits of cell phone addictions with them. If all states ban the use of cell phones while driving, then there would be a reduction in the number of fatalities each year.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Rotary dial]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- Use of mobile phone while driving Using mobile phone while driving may cause many problems. This is a very critical issue now a day, people using mobile phones while they are driving may be the main cause of many accidents. Hence, it is very important to create awareness among them. Some authorities have made the use of a mobile while driving illegal, or they may permit the use of hands-free. Consequently, it is need of the hour to do research in this critical area, so that death rate due to accidents can be reduced to a minimum level.... [tags: Mobile phone, Bluetooth, Cellular network]
1329 words (3.8 pages)
- Should the law prohibit drivers from using their cell phones while driving or Not. Has a member of a family would you like to lose your relative because someone was texting. Would you like to be hit by another car just because the driver was distracted talking to someone on the phone. Has a citizen would you like people dying in the country due to others using their phone. I suppose not. This cause can be avoided by approving everywhere a law which stops using the phones while driving. The opponent of this law will argue that accidents happened because of reasons, such as alcohol and drugs.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
767 words (2.2 pages)
- NAGATIVE IMPACT OF CELL PHONES AND DANGERIOUS OF USING WHILE DRIVING What is cell phone. When did the cell phone come out. Cell phone is the electronic devise that used for services like communicating. Engineer Martin Cooper was the first individual who made first public cell phone in 1993, Later on, Cell phone became the most important tool in our daily life in the modern world. Today society is a cell phone- controlled world, to some degree. Even though it is true that cell phones bring countless conveniences to us, the use of cell phones should be restricted despite their advantages such as maps and communication, because they can cause accidents when used while driving, restrict driver... [tags: Mobile phone, Mobile phone radiation and health]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Distracted Driving: One Text Or Call Could Wreck It All There is a high percentage of people that spend a majority of their day sitting behind the wheel of a vehicle. Whether it is commuting to work, taking the kids to school, running errands, or simply going out to eat one may feel that their car has become a second home. With so much time spent behind the wheel, drivers become comfortable and incorporate distracting activities while trying to remain focused on the road. Our inability to put our cell phones away while driving is inexcusable.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
2024 words (5.8 pages)
- Operating nearly two tons of metal is a responsibility that no person should take lightly, especially when it has the ability to cause so much destruction. Every year, thousands people are killed in car accidents caused by distracted driving. More specifically, accidents caused because the driver was using their cell phone. These tragedies could be prevented if more laws were created to prohibit phone use while driving. Laws that prohibit all cell phone use as opposed to just texting, for drivers of all ages, will stop drivers from looking at their phones to make calls or check information.... [tags: Mobile phone, Rotary dial, Text messaging]
720 words (2.1 pages)