The article, “How a Mobile Social Media Game Can Enhance the Educational Experience” by Parise and Crosina (2012), provides a case study on the use of gaming in a learning environment. The authors wanted to know if on-line learning elements integrated into a traditional face to face course would allow for enhanced learning outcomes. They created a game using a social media gaming platform called SCVNGR where they essentially created a week long scavenger hunt for the students to do. The activity combined both live physical interactions among students while also having them use on-line (including mobile) technology to acquire clues and communicate with one another. After the game was completed, the instructors met with the students and conducted a focus group asking theme the following seven questions:
Do you fe...
... middle of paper ...
... The review emphasizes the importance of learner centeredness and how some students may be un-motivated no matter what the learning environment. They also go over the importance of “training” for the game as the more complicated, the more problems will arise.
Creswell, J. W. (2013). Qualitative inquiry & research design. Los Angeles: SAGE.
Huang, W. H. (2011). Evaluating learners' motivational and cognitive processing in an online game-based learning environment. Computers in Human Behavior, 27, 694-704. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2010.07.021
Maxwell, J. A. (2013). Qualitative research design: An interactive approach. Los Angeles: SAGE.
Parise, S. P., & Eliana, C. (2012). How a mobile social media game can enhance the educational experience. Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, 8, 209-222. Retrieved from http://jolt.merlot.org/vol8no3/parise_0912.htm
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The world of online gaming has revolutionized within these past two decades. Because of gaming consoles such as the PlayStation 4, XBOX 1, and even digital platforms such as Steam, there are millions of players interacting with each other online. As technology advances so will online gaming. People tend to link online gaming with the self-pleasure of playing games to kill time or see it as an addiction; however, as the gaming world advances, online gaming can be much more than just playing games.... [tags: Massively multiplayer online game, Online game]
1186 words (3.4 pages)
- Video Games and Society Are video games really meant to be for society. Are they really as corruptive as most studies make them out to be. There is without doubt video games have made an impact on society. According to ProCon.org, “97% of 12-17 year olds in the US played videogames” (“Video Games”). You could ask nearly any teenager of the streets if they have played a video game, and their answer will most likely be yes. But is this a bad thing. Video games can help society in many different ways, more entertainment for all people and creating new inventions.... [tags: ipad games, learning, society]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- This essay will explore the advantageous and disadvantageous aspects of computer games for children, teenagers and adult and argue for its positive and negative health and social implications of this trend. Computer games are becoming increasingly more and more popular, and, in some situations, essential in our society. First, computer games provide a wide range of educational activities and encourage different aspect of imagination, learning, exploration and creativity. The use of computer games has been around for several years, and it is well documented through disease, disabilities, learning skills and entertainment.... [tags: Computer Games]
876 words (2.5 pages)
- Every player dreams of getting the best online casino bonus when registering for a gambling game online. While nearly all online casinos offer some form of bonus, truth is some casinos offer better bonuses than others. Finding good casino bonuses require some leg work on your part. The best casino bonus new for new members can earn you thousands of dollars when you meet the wagering requirements. This article outlines some of the best online casino offers that you can possibly find, from sign up bonuses to sign up bonuses.... [tags: Casino, Gambling, Casinos, Online poker]
1031 words (2.9 pages)
- The Impact of Online Gaming on the Experience of the Everyday Everyday life is increasingly being experienced through Internet-mediated activities and communication. In particular, online gaming has had an impact on how everyday life is experienced. Massively Multi-Player Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGS), such as World of WarCraft or EverQuest, have millions of users that spend many hours a day in virtual environments, interacting, completing quests and earning virtual rewards. Users may create avatars, join guilds and communicate online with friends and strangers.... [tags: Online game, Massively multiplayer online game]
1366 words (3.9 pages)
- The Effects between Online Interaction and Social Support Networks The concept of relationships, formed within games evolving into fully formed friendships that actively give and receive social support, is a dynamic and new social phenomenon. Since the early emergence of online gaming, social interaction in the digital space has continued to grow as an increasingly common form of interpersonal communication and relationships. Video game genres such as MMO’s (Massively Multiplayer Online), which can be further broken down into subgroups dependent on gameplay style, actively encourage online interaction and communication between players.... [tags: Massively multiplayer online game, Online game]
1698 words (4.9 pages)
- Blog 23 – 5 new online casino slot games that could take 2016 by storm If 2016 is going to be anything; it is going to the year of slots. The reason why is that developers are hard at work to not only create new titles, but breath a fresh lease of life into older games. Those who play at the likes of LeoVegas, Mr Green, Betsson, and 10bet are in prime position to experience online casino based entertainment unlike anything else over the next 12 months. If you play at a casino online and find yourself armed with the best casino online bonus, then these are the slots titles that should without question be on your radar this January.... [tags: Casino, Slot machine, Casino game, Casinos]
1765 words (5 pages)
- Brief Review of the Literature Educators hold the ultimate responsibility of providing learners with opportunities intended to encourage motivation and engagement (Sadi & Uyar, 2013; Simoncelli & Hinson, 2010). Designing courses using strategies and tools while capturing student interest is difficult for teachers to accomplish in a society driven by technology (Barrett, 2013; Elliot, 2014). The search for strategies and tools to facilitate student engagement, as well as encourage student accountability and responsibility for learning, has led to video games being used in the classroom (DuPlessis & Webb, 2011; Huang, 2011).... [tags: Education, Educational psychology, 2010s]
829 words (2.4 pages)
- Video Games and Ethical Responsibility We are the first generation to grow up in a world full of computers. Everyone and their cousin has one. It is almost impossible to go on a vacation anymore without seeing a computer. Some hotels and cruise ships have public computers and even many planes have video game systems built into the back of every chair. With computers being so predominant in our daily lives, we must have some use for them. Many people use them for work and many for the internet, but an overwhelming amount use them to play games as well.... [tags: Video Games Ethics]
3958 words (11.3 pages)
- Introduction "The video gaming industry generates revenue of between 18 and 25 billion US dollars per year (according to various estimates), with development costs, revenue and use/audience comparable (and often exceeding) that of the movie industry."--John Kirriemuir, Ceangal Why should businesses care about gaming. After all, how much are people willing to spend on entertainment. Surprisingly, quite a lot. The video gaming industry generates revenue of between 18 and 25 billion US dollars per year (according to various estimates), with development costs, revenue and use/audience comparable (and often exceeding) that of the movie industry.... [tags: Video Games Computer]
2554 words (7.3 pages)